Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow 2 Bullet Weight

tanfoglio1911

4 hours ago, Lightj75 said:

What OAL do you use with the 147gr blues FP ? I have loaded their RN in the past but ordered a bunch of FP recently to match my normal practice loads. I usually load other coated 147 FPs to 1.13 and I'm hoping to get something similar with the blues. 

Since my S2 Orange has a fairly tight chamber, I always test/check for max oal with any new/different bullet I'm using.  The Blue 147 FP maxxed out right at 1.136", so I deducted my normal .015" and rounded down to 1.120". 

FWIW, I also tested Blue's new RN; but I just didn't like that profile.  It maxxed at 1.125".

👍

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you find that the 147 FP's were more accurate than the 147 RN's?  Like I said, I use the RN to facilitate reloads in my revolver, but I wondered how it affected accuracy.  I use a similar load: 147 Berry's RN, 1.130" OAL, 3.4 gr. N320.  I've also tried 3.3 gr N320, which still makes the power factor but isn't quite as accurate.

3 hours ago, Almo said:

Did you find that the 147 FP's were more accurate than the 147 RN's?  Like I said, I use the RN to facilitate reloads in my revolver, but I wondered how it affected accuracy.  I use a similar load: 147 Berry's RN, 1.130" OAL, 3.4 gr. N320.  I've also tried 3.3 gr N320, which still makes the power factor but isn't quite as accurate.

Almo:

I only made it as far as testing the RN for max OAL.  Once I got to that point, I just wasn't satisfied with how deep the new profile was having to be seated.  I'm satisfied with the results I got with the FP, so not wanting to waste anymore consumables since availability is still unstable.  ;)

For my match loads using Zero 147g JHPs, I did a lot of testing!  Ended up settling on 3.5g N320 at 1.125".  Produces under 1" groups from the Ransom Rest.

👍

Blue Compare.png

I've been shooting Campro 147gr bullets for more than a decade, they are a sort of flat point, with a rounded edge. Accuracy has always been superb out of all my Shadows and Shadow 2s and even my P10 and Glocks (19, 17, 17 and 48) 

Using one of my matched pair, prior to swapping in an Eemanntech match bushing, off hand I kept them all in the 9 ring on a B8 at 25m demoing at class a few months ago. best group I've shot in years due to eye issues that are now mostly resolved. Group was spectacular, and I can't imagine shooting any better than that.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 3:40 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Almo:

I only made it as far as testing the RN for max OAL.  Once I got to that point, I just wasn't satisfied with how deep the new profile was having to be seated.  I'm satisfied with the results I got with the FP, so not wanting to waste anymore consumables since availability is still unstable.  ;)

For my match loads using Zero 147g JHPs, I did a lot of testing!  Ended up settling on 3.5g N320 at 1.125".  Produces under 1" groups from the Ransom Rest.

👍

Blue Compare.png

Thanks for the help with the FPs I like those alot better than the RN and don't end up with the stupid ring on the point from the Dillon seating die 😂. I have another question do you think there is a difference when shooting .355 vs .356 projectiles coated or plated? I've recently started using only .355 through my SP01 because they seem to perform better. 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, HOGRIDER said:

@tanfoglio1911Saw this thread and thought I should follow up with my final test results of the Blue 147s.  That extra .1g did the trick!  ;) 

Nice. For what it is worth I don’t call a coated bullet load good unless I have confirmed it still flies true out to 40 yards or so. Seemed to me like I was overcrimping in the past and shooting curve balls that would break past a certain distance. 

2 hours ago, Lightj75 said:

I have another question do you think there is a difference when shooting .355 vs .356 projectiles coated or plated? I've recently started using only .355 through my SP01 because they seem to perform better. 

I suspect you will be fine but you might want to keep an eye on leading when shooting coated .355 . Would also be very interesting to compare velocity of the two with otherwise the same load. 

14 hours ago, Lightj75 said:

Thanks for the help with the FPs I like those alot better than the RN and don't end up with the stupid ring on the point from the Dillon seating die 😂. I have another question do you think there is a difference when shooting .355 vs .356 projectiles coated or plated? I've recently started using only .355 through my SP01 because they seem to perform better. 

Lightj75:

I had originally ordered my first sample pack from Blue in .355 since that's what the main page defaulted to.  Didn't know any better!  Feeling a bit naïve after placing that order, I turned around and ordered sample packs in .356".  I've always ordered any lead/coated bullets in .001" over what my FMJ/JHP rounds were.

The Zeros at .355-.3555 are VERY ACCURATE out of this CZ.  So, not wanting to waste components with testing the .355 Blues, I went straight to testing .356" blues.

I have never tested/shot a plated round.

The .355" rounds your shooting in your SP01:  are they coated or plated?  How good's your performance?

7 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Lightj75:

I had originally ordered my first sample pack from Blue in .355 since that's what the main page defaulted to.  Didn't know any better!  Feeling a bit naïve after placing that order, I turned around and ordered sample packs in .356".  I've always ordered any lead/coated bullets in .001" over what my FMJ/JHP rounds were.

The Zeros at .355-.3555 are VERY ACCURATE out of this CZ.  So, not wanting to waste components with testing the .355 Blues, I went straight to testing .356" blues.

I have never tested/shot a plated round.

The .355" rounds your shooting in your SP01:  are they coated or plated?  How good's your performance?

I've used both plated and coated .355 projectiles with no issues. I tried various coated projectiles while devoloping a load for my SP01 mainly because I was bored. any of the ones I tried would have been fine for uspsa. I always got great accuracy with the blues though so I kept going back and buying more. I've done nothing more than Chrono and shoot a group offhand to test but the accuracy and feel have been better for me with the .355 blues than other .356 coated projectiles. I've had the same results with the .355 coated FPs from Brazos bullets, and after more testing I may have leading or some other issue but as of now I've switched to .355 only. You have me wanting to do more testing though just to have the data so if it warms up I'll break out the Chrono, use a rest, and see if I can get a more scientific answer for you.

Also the .355 plated I tested were the Xtreme 147gr HP 

On 11/30/2021 at 5:28 AM, Lightj75 said:

I've used both plated and coated .355 projectiles with no issues. I tried various coated projectiles while devoloping a load for my SP01 mainly because I was bored. any of the ones I tried would have been fine for uspsa. I always got great accuracy with the blues though so I kept going back and buying more. I've done nothing more than Chrono and shoot a group offhand to test but the accuracy and feel have been better for me with the .355 blues than other .356 coated projectiles. I've had the same results with the .355 coated FPs from Brazos bullets, and after more testing I may have leading or some other issue but as of now I've switched to .355 only. You have me wanting to do more testing though just to have the data so if it warms up I'll break out the Chrono, use a rest, and see if I can get a more scientific answer for you.

Also the .355 plated I tested were the Xtreme 147gr HP 

I look forward to hearing your results.    I may get around to testing the .355s just for the sake of knowing if there is any difference.  Guess my biggest fear was excessive leading................

Thanks for your thoughts!

👍

I agree with the consensus on flat vs round. Its easier to get a good OAL with flat and seat the bullet out more closer to the grooves. Seating RN longer often means risking too long and catching in the mag. FP also makes a nice hole in the targets ;)

• 2 months later...

I have shot .355, .356,.357 &.358 coated in every weight from 124 to 147. Every CZ barrel that I have ever slugged comes in a little large .356-.3565 or so. I have excellent results with .357 bullets coated. I have throated all my barrels and load to 1.160 with excellent results. I run a 38 S&W (not 38 special) case expander die to not swag the bullet into the brass and deform it. Probably the most accurate loads I have ever had were .358 130gr FP over N320. Had to put a nice sized bell on the case to not shave the lead when loading fast on my 1050. With that said 135gr RN .357 @1.16 over N320 at 980-1000 fps works really well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im about as green as you can get on this but I’ve worked up a load with precision deltas 115 V1 HP and N320 and the Blue 135gr TC with N320. Both shoot really tight groups and are PF of 130-133. While I think the 115’s are snappier the dot just tracks right back to the same spot as when the trigger broke. The blue 135gr seemed to take longer during the recoil phase and getting back to the same spot on target just wasn’t  near as good. I had to make fine adjustments with it. I’m going to start with the 115’s for now. I also found mine likes the TC bullet profile better than the round nose as far as group size goes. I haven’t played with seating depth, just found the length they passed the plunk test and set them back another .010. 

I have sport pistol, mixed brass, and either 124gr Montana Gold JHPs or .356 124gr RN Blues and a brand new bone stock S2 OR. I have around 1k of each, any recs on a starting point? Really just looking for something to meet power factor and be reliable. I'll deal with really testing options out in April.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 11:02 PM, rpm8300 said:

Hey folks, another bullet worth looking at is Brass Monkey Bullets

https://brassmonkeybullets.com/

Their 147 RN shoot 1" groups out of my Shadow 2 Orange with N320 - excellent load.  The ordering was drama free and the bullets took about 3 days order to arrival (note I'm only 1 state away).

Good Information... what is your OAL for the  147RN ... I just bought a Shadow 2 orange and have the 147RN bullets

I do not load my own ammo, my adult ADD simply doesn't allow me to focus enough on the process to make my own ammo.  Having said that, I own a CZ TSO and a Czechmate, both of which have a smaller chamber.  I know that my standard that I compare other ammo to is the Wilson Combat Arms 135 flat nose 9mm.  NC Shooters Supply produces a 124G round nose Blue Bullet specifically for CZ's.  The NC ammo shoots super soft in a CZ.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 10:30 PM, bobbyblaze said:

Good Information... what is your OAL for the  147RN ... I just bought a Shadow 2 orange and have the 147RN bullets

Sorry for the slow reply - I load 1.11 but they could be loaded longer.  

• 8 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, Almo said:

I have two spo1 shadows and cannot get the blue round nose or flat point 147 to print a decent group at 25 yards from rest. I even tried the .356 versions and they did no better. Black bullets print better but have to be loaded to like 1.05 and I don't like to load that short. 

What’s your powder you run ? 

On 11/17/2021 at 4:47 AM, slavex said:

I've been shooting Campro 147gr bullets for more than a decade, they are a sort of flat point, with a rounded edge. Accuracy has always been superb out of all my Shadows and Shadow 2s and even my P10 and Glocks (19, 17, 17 and 48) 

Using one of my matched pair, prior to swapping in an Eemanntech match bushing, off hand I kept them all in the 9 ring on a B8 at 25m demoing at class a few months ago. best group I've shot in years due to eye issues that are now mostly resolved. Group was spectacular, and I can't imagine shooting any better than that.