Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Merlin's avatar(s)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah, I thought you were talking about Merlin Orr's new avatar........ :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

It is rather disturbing.

[thread drift on]

These changing avatars kind of bug me. You get used to seeing them and you kind of associate the avatar with the person more than the name. It's like if one of your co-workers showed up to work looking entirely different one day.

[/thread drift off]

Bowing to peer pressure and the abhorrent thought that my disturbing and gruesomely fascinating avatar could be causing computer problems, anxiety, loss of sleep and possible lasting trauma..... :rolleyes::D;)

No fair! I liked it. Although I did find it took more time for me to go through threads where you posted. Somehow I always ended up watching your avatar in its entirety before reading the text.

I vote to bring it back. Let us know what it was called so someone can start a poll. Otherwise I just title it:

"Bring back Merlin's computer man smashing himself to bits on his console, some parental guidance suggested due to graphic violence, avatar!"

The thing that 'bothered' me the most was the fact that it was bogging down my system to run it!

I wondered if it was taken out of context from a longer animation of some kind... kinda felt like it might've been part of a bigger story... hard to tell entirely what the motivation of the little character was..... unless there WAS none. :ph34r:

It did get a little gratuitous there toward the end, though.....

I thought it was great. I also found it odd that I got censored and a reprimand for using the word "kill" last week in a totally acceptable format. Yet this avatar runs for a week before anyone says anything. I thought it was pretty funny and am all for Merlin running it as I think we have felt that at one time or another.

To each there own I guess. Merlin is always full of laughs and good humor and makes me smile more than occationally. The thing for me is more along the lines of what Folsoml wrote. I just identify with certain people by their avatar.

In internet communication you just don't get tone influctuation in sentances, you really don't know what the person looks like unless they post a picture so us visually oriented types tend to associate with the graphic as much as the written word. I wouldn't know Merlin if I saw him up close and personal, but if he wore a button with that cartoon caracter with the big mustache on his shirt I could pick him out in a hurry.

Do what makes you happy Merlin. I guess old farts like me aren't use to change. We just get into a comfort zone and BAM someone kicks it up a notch. Have fun with the avatar thing.

Rick

I wouldn't know Merlin if I saw him up close and personal, but if he wore a button with that cartoon caracter with the big mustache on his shirt I could pick him out in a hurry.

That would be a great idea! Wear buttons with our avatars so we can pick each other out at matches.

I have another hobby: Amateur Radio (some refer to it as Ham radio). When we all get together at national shows etc, you just close your eyes and start listening to the voices because that is how you relate to each other - with the spoken word. Many of us had tags made up with our call signs on them so you could figure out who was who.

I'm getting better figuring out who is who at the local shoots from the people that I meet on this board. One of the things that has helped was a BE T shirt.

So Merlin, what do you look like today? :P