Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas magazines

attakmint

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

that has been roll sized and I don't use undersize dies in my press.

Thanks, I now understand why I can sometimes load 22 vs 23 rounds and feel comfortable about the operation of the mag in my Carry Optics mags. 

I have just just started using the 140 mm mags in my Athena and have yet to have any sort of malfunction. This is with only a couple of hundred rounds through the gun, but it’s hard to beat $100/$120 for a complete 2011 magazine.  

Edited by Boomstick303

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I have been testing the Atlas 9mm/38SC 140mm mags for a while now in my 38SC Open gun and they run flawlessly. I just got the 170mm Atlas mags and so far, they are running great just like the 140's. I switched out the Grams follower with a TTI Thin follower and can get 29+1 in the Atlas 170. If I really hammer the rounds in there I can cram 30 rounds in the 170 Atlas tube using the TTI Thin follower. But with that setup there is so much upward pressure on the slide when the mag is seated that the slide barely cycles on the first shot. So, technically you can cram 30 rounds in there using "MAN THUMBS" but its too tight to cycle reliably when firing the first shot.

I also want to point out that my testing and capacity is based on using 38SC brass that has been roll sized and I don't use undersize dies in my press. Basically put, the brass sidewall is straight which promotes consistent stacking on top of one another and smooth sliding across one another while feeding. If you are not roll sizing your brass then getting 29 rounds in there is going to be difficult. A slight belly at the base of the case on non-roll sized brass adds up a lot over 29 rounds when they are all stacked on top of one another. Not too many people consider that when they struggle to get the claimed mag capacity.

Lastly, the feed lip/tube hardness on the Atlas mags is great. The feed lips hold their shape and don't spread apart easily when dropped. Unlike the new Gen2 STI tubes which flex and bend easily. Atlas has put a lot of effort into ensuring that the steel of the tubes is the correct thickness and hardness so it maintains its shape properly. They also put a lot of work into tuning the feed lip width and internal tube dimensions correctly from the start. So you don't have to "Tune" the mags after you get them. Simply pull them out of the bag, load them up, and enjoy. 

Cha-lee 

Thanks for your feedback, What sizing die do you use... 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, attakmint said:

Atlas just released their 170mm magazines.  Comes with Grams guts, they say it's 28 rounds in 9mm.  $120

Anybody try out their magazines?  Worth it over MBX or the usual tuned STI/Grams combo?

did a review of their 170mm

I just shot it in a match today and it's the best mag I've ever used.. literally not one malfunction the entire match

On 10/2/2021 at 8:03 AM, CalTeacher said:

So I guess I’ll ask the obvious question.  If capacity is less than other reliable brands, what’s the draw of a 28rd big stick?

The fact that they feed and function perfectly. I've never seen exactly a 29 or 30 round stage. Most times they are just gonna make it a 32 round stage which means you will have to reload anyway

23 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

The fact that they feed and function perfectly. I've never seen exactly a 29 or 30 round stage. Most times they are just gonna make it a 32 round stage which means you will have to reload anyway

I’ve seen plenty of 29 and 30 round stages.  In fact, we built some just recently.

I agree about having a place to reload…in fact I find myself using my 155 and 140s more often to start since I don’t mind those getting dropped and banged up.

While my STI gen 2 mags and MBX have been as reliable as mags can be, I’d be curious to test these out and see how well they hold up.  I’d totally buy if they were as reliable as people say.

1 hour ago, CalTeacher said:

I’ve seen plenty of 29 and 30 round stages.  In fact, we built some just recently.

I agree about having a place to reload…in fact I find myself using my 155 and 140s more often to start since I don’t mind those getting dropped and banged up.

While my STI gen 2 mags and MBX have been as reliable as mags can be, I’d be curious to test these out and see how well they hold up.  I’d totally buy if they were as reliable as people say.

im actually selling all my mbx mags and just switching to these. the feed lips are harder and more firm than the mbx and it makes them feed perfectly

On 10/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, CHA-LEE said:

I switched out the Grams follower with a TTI Thin follower and can get 29+1 in the Atlas 170.

+1 on the TTI  Thin followers.  I have installed these in both my 140 mm and 170 mm mags giving me reliable 23+1 for the 140 mm mags and 29+1 in the 170 mm mags.  They have all worked flawlessly in the short amount of time I have ran them.  

I think you could get the 140 mm mags to run 23+1 pretty reliably with the grams follower after the spring wears in a bit, but the STI Thin gives you a little more breathing room and gives me more comfort there will be no issues.  

No lock back with the TTI Thin followers.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:53 AM, Boomstick303 said:

+1 on the TTI  Thin followers.  I have installed these in both my 140 mm and 170 mm mags giving me reliable 23+1 for the 140 mm mags and 29+1 in the 170 mm mags.  They have all worked flawlessly in the short amount of time I have ran them.  

I think you could get the 140 mm mags to run 23+1 pretty reliably with the grams follower after the spring wears in a bit, but the STI Thin gives you a little more breathing room and gives me more comfort there will be no issues.  

No lock back with the TTI Thin followers.

Are you running TTI springs as well with those followers 

I'm switching from limited to open for 2022 season and will need all new magazines.  I've always used MBX in the past.  Would you recommend these over MBX?  I still may end up getting some MBX 155mm mags for most stages, but these would save me some $ over going all MBX. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Would you recommend these over MBX?

I cannot give you that answer in I do not have a direct comparison in durability as I have never ran MBX.  From the limited time these have been out and from various sources, the feed lips seem to be more durable. If you look at the construction of the two mags the feed lips on the Atlas seem thicker. I have not taken calibers to them to actually measure. The design of the feed lips between the two mags are very different, as well. Also from my own experience and the research I have done I have yet to hear of one feed issue with the Atlas mags. Just make sure your verify proper OAL with you ammo to ensure proper feed placement of the bullet on the ramp of the barrel when you switch. 

18 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I'm switching from limited to open for 2022 season and will need all new magazines.  I've always used MBX in the past.  Would you recommend these over MBX?  I still may end up getting some MBX 155mm mags for most stages, but these would save me some $ over going all MBX. 

i shoot open and id 100% recommend the atlas mags over the mbx

the feed lips are harder on the atlas so they feed perfectly and you dont have to mess with the feed lips every 5 matches

i do have a few 155 mbx mags for sale over in classified though if you decide to go that route

I tested the Atlas 140mm 40 Caliber magazines this weekend in my Atlas Artemis Limited gun. Using the Grams 11 Coil spring that came with them and the TTI Thin SV follower for 21+1 capacity. Shot 500+ rounds across 5 different Atlas mags and they all functioned flawlessly. The impact point of the bullet tip on the feed ramp was exactly where it should be 3/4 up from the bottom of the ramp and produced a small circular swipe mark. These Atlas mags are legit. I will be using these Atlas mags going forward in both my Limited and Open guns. Buy with confidence.

AB.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Cha lee, Boomstick, and Average joe, thanks for the response.  Average Joe, are you just planning on using 170mm in leu of the 155mm magazines and using 140mm mags for mandatory reload stages? 

I was planning on just using 3 170mm Atlas mags. 

1 in the gun to start and 1 reload and then a spare in case anything ever gets f*#ked up. which i don't expect will ever happen with these mags because they are 100% quality, still good to have a third tho

I dont use 140mm mags in open at all

Edited by AverageJoeShooting

Even though you can pick the "All the bullets all the time" strategy of only using Big Sticks in Open, you need at least one 140mm mag in the event that you shoot prone or have a stage where you poke the gun into a narrow port. I have seen many Open shooters screw themselves in those two scenarios by using Big Sticks because it causes the gun to displace physically in an undesired manner.

Its also easier to perform reloads with 140mm mags because they weigh less and fit in your hand better than a Big Stick. But that is more of a personal preference thing. 

On 11/14/2021 at 5:17 PM, CalTeacher said:

do you shoot those stages without makeups?

I stopped worrying much about mag capacity once i started timing some drills with and without reloads, and realized that if I have to move more than 2 steps, they don't take any time at all. When in doubt, just reload and shoot aggressively.

38 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Its also easier to perform reloads with 140mm mags because they weigh less and fit in your hand better than a Big Stick. But that is more of a personal preference thing. 

any insight as to whether Atlas is going to make any 155mm mags?  My average size hands reload them better than 140s or 170s.  

45 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Even though you can pick the "All the bullets all the time" strategy of only using Big Sticks in Open, you need at least one 140mm mag in the event that you shoot prone or have a stage where you poke the gun into a narrow port. I have seen many Open shooters screw themselves in those two scenarios by using Big Sticks because it causes the gun to displace physically in an undesired manner.

Never thought about small ports or going prone, I just know that the 140mm were easier for me to reload when I shot open a few years ago

New to "open" as I am just using open to practice with a slide ride optic 2011 for other shooting sports.  I would prefer to use 140mm mags, unless a stage can be ran with just a big stick, and/or I see a stage plan where a mag change from or to a 170 mm mag is advantageous.  140mm mags are easier to deal with in general, cleaning, cheaper to replace, the are similar in weight an size to my CO magazines, and for the reasons @CHA-LEE mentioned above.  

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

any insight as to whether Atlas is going to make any 155mm mags?  My average size hands reload them better than 140s or 170s.  

I have yet to hear anything about Atlas making 155mm mags. Just use the MBX 155's