Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas magazines

attakmint

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, attakmint said:

Atlas just released their 170mm magazines.  Comes with Grams guts, they say it's 28 rounds in 9mm.  $120

Anybody try out their magazines?  Worth it over MBX or the usual tuned STI/Grams combo?

I have their 140mm's and they are the best 2011 mag i have come across yet. They measure perfectly right out of the bag, the follower is the best quality follower i have seen so far, and they feed extremely well with little to no tuning. I haven't tried their 170mm that they just released but if they are anything like their 140's they will be phenomenal.

I have 6 Atlas 140mm magazines with grams guts and tti Basepads.  I always test gear before I use it in a match, and still use Sti gen 2 mags with grams guts as my main match magazines.  Once these are proven a bit more (at this point nothing makes me think that they won't) I plan to make a switch to them or at least cycle then in as part of the match set.  I have shot 3,500 rounds through them (used them pretty much exclusively) since I got them a few months ago and I have had 0 problems. 

-CS

56 minutes ago, csailer said:

I have 6 Atlas 140mm magazines with grams guts and tti Basepads.  I always test gear before I use it in a match, and still use Sti gen 2 mags with grams guts as my main match magazines.  Once these are proven a bit more (at this point nothing makes me think that they won't) I plan to make a switch to them or at least cycle then in as part of the match set.  I have shot 3,500 rounds through them (used them pretty much exclusively) since I got them a few months ago and I have had 0 problems. 

-CS

I have had the same experience, I am very pleased with them.

30 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I've never seen a reversible 2011 magazine catch so I'm confused by your comment, can you explain?

LSI lefty grip or SVI grip. Below is an old open blaster I had with SVI grip.  I was being sarcastic when I said they're junk, too.  They seem to be of great quality 

C14DA9CD-6074-47BC-8C2D-8D1A57539849.thumb.jpeg.a49be1eedf8c29104aab987e4c7ca659.jpeg

Edited by Bdh821

15 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

LSI lefty grip or SVI grip. Below is an old open blaster I had with SVI grip.  I was being sarcastic when I said they're junk, too.  They seem to be of great quality 

C14DA9CD-6074-47BC-8C2D-8D1A57539849.thumb.jpeg.a49be1eedf8c29104aab987e4c7ca659.jpeg

You seem to have mirrored your image before posting 🤣

Ya. I bought them and sent them off to infinity to be tuned and plated with 24k gold. It was super affortable. Only $7500 for a set of 6 mag. Looking forward to shooting my 38sc through them. Hopefully I will have my fararri back from the shop by the time they come back so I can drive it over to the range and test fire.

I don't like em. They remind me of the old para tube parts from brownell's that I think metgar made. Lips are too flimsy and distort easily. You have to have a lip forming tool to reshape them. God forbid you drop one in a three gun match.....you'll be so pissed

7 minutes ago, CalTeacher said:

So I guess I’ll ask the obvious question.  If capacity is less than other reliable brands, what’s the draw of a 28rd big stick?

Agreed my MBX holds an easy 29

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Agreed my MBX holds an easy 29

Agree #2.  My MBX mags run 100 %.  26 reloadable in each 155 and 29 reloadable in the 170.  I also have three STI Gen 2 mags with TTI followers, springs and extended base pads that I use when I shoot Classifiers with mandatory reloads, or stage where I have to drop the mag in dust or mus.  They also run 100%.

I shoot with a lot of Open shooters and I never see any mag related problems.  I don't know what everyone else is shooting, but they have them dialed in.

I credit Atlas for making 9mm specific stuff.  For example, they have EGW make their 9/40 HD extractor .008" shorter for 9mm only.  I've used both and the Atlas 9mm only is better.  BTW, I'm not a mag capacity snob.  I used to shoot 40 Open.  So 28 vs. 29 is no big deal to me.  I want 100% reliability, so if it ever cost me a round of capacity, so be it.

I don't know why but my newest gun won't run the gen 2 sti mags for nothing. Pop in an MBX after doing the break in and runs 100%. So I spent the money on the MBX mags for 9 and 40 and haven't had any issues. I think Adam is doing some great things but for me and the simple cost of them, and the not knowing if they would work for me I just haven't really wanted one.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Hvansky said:

Atlas 40 or mbx 40?

You have read here they both work well.  So take your pick.  If it were me, I'd take the MBX.  Why?  Because I have them in 40 and 9mm and have had no issues with them.  I'll note that if you drop a nearly full 155 MBX mag, one out of ten drop a round will slip under the follower.  That's why I also have STI Gen2 mags with TTI guts and pads.  If my stage plan calls for 10 shots then a mag change, I use an STI loaded with 12 rounds.  Then I'll go to a 155.  It's never a good idea to drop a mag with 15-20 rounds still in it.

I have been testing the Atlas 9mm/38SC 140mm mags for a while now in my 38SC Open gun and they run flawlessly. I just got the 170mm Atlas mags and so far, they are running great just like the 140's. I switched out the Grams follower with a TTI Thin follower and can get 29+1 in the Atlas 170. If I really hammer the rounds in there I can cram 30 rounds in the 170 Atlas tube using the TTI Thin follower. But with that setup there is so much upward pressure on the slide when the mag is seated that the slide barely cycles on the first shot. So, technically you can cram 30 rounds in there using "MAN THUMBS" but its too tight to cycle reliably when firing the first shot.

I also want to point out that my testing and capacity is based on using 38SC brass that has been roll sized and I don't use undersize dies in my press. Basically put, the brass sidewall is straight which promotes consistent stacking on top of one another and smooth sliding across one another while feeding. If you are not roll sizing your brass then getting 29 rounds in there is going to be difficult. A slight belly at the base of the case on non-roll sized brass adds up a lot over 29 rounds when they are all stacked on top of one another. Not too many people consider that when they struggle to get the claimed mag capacity.

Lastly, the feed lip/tube hardness on the Atlas mags is great. The feed lips hold their shape and don't spread apart easily when dropped. Unlike the new Gen2 STI tubes which flex and bend easily. Atlas has put a lot of effort into ensuring that the steel of the tubes is the correct thickness and hardness so it maintains its shape properly. They also put a lot of work into tuning the feed lip width and internal tube dimensions correctly from the start. So you don't have to "Tune" the mags after you get them. Simply pull them out of the bag, load them up, and enjoy.