Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas magazines

attakmint

As I mentioned earlier, I run MBX 155s and a 170.  I'm no slower reloading with a 155 than I was with 140s.  They were the same price when I ordered them, so I got 155s.

I've run them for 2 1/2 seasons now with no issues at all.  Same MBX springs and followers.  I drop them all the time, including the 170.  I've never had to adjust the feed lips, and I'm told they often hit the ground first.  I load Open major to 1.161".  Open minor is 1.45".  Minor is 1.35".  All feed perfectly.

I shoot with a lot of 2011 shooters, Open and Limited.  Most use MBX mags and have zero problems.  So I don't see how some here can say the Atlas are better and more reliable.  You haven't shot them that much.  Shoot them for two years and then compare.  If you have zero issues in that time, they are as good as my MBX mags.  I'm not knocking Atlas products.  They make good stuff.  I'm just questioning the overenthusiastic promotions.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/23/2021 at 8:22 AM, motosapiens said:

do you shoot those stages without makeups?

I stopped worrying much about mag capacity once i started timing some drills with and without reloads, and realized that if I have to move more than 2 steps, they don't take any time at all. When in doubt, just reload and shoot aggressively.

Depends.  My comment never implied that, but an all paper 30rd stage without much room between shooting positions would favor the guy who doesn’t have to reload.

I usually just reload because it can be done during movement and allows you to avoid embarrassing standing reloads with an open gun.

• 6 months later...

I've lost about 5 of the little pushpins that prevent the basepad from moving, even if I crank down on that set screw.  I'm about done with Atlas's basepads.  Has anybody tried different basepads?  I've already put TTI followers and springs in my magazines to get one more round in, so next time I hope Atlas just sells me a tube and I'll build the rest of the magazine myself.

6 minutes ago, attakmint said:

I've lost about 5 of the little pushpins that prevent the basepad from moving, even if I crank down on that set screw.  I'm about done with Atlas's basepads.  Has anybody tried different basepads?  I've already put TTI followers and springs in my magazines to get one more round in, so next time I hope Atlas just sells me a tube and I'll build the rest of the magazine myself.

I thought their base pads were TTI with atlas logo on them, atlas does sale just the tube

14 hours ago, attakmint said:

The Atlas Uses TTI Base Pads. I also want to point out that "Cranking down" the set screw alone isn't going to keep the set screw from backing out. You need to apply some blue lock tight to the set screw, then tighten it down to the desired pin resistance setting. Do that once, and you are done for the life of the base pad.

ANY screws used on or in a firearm need lock tight on them to keep them from backing out. That is gun maintenance & reliability basics. Also don't assume that any manufacture has applied lock tight to the screws for you.

8 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

The Atlas Uses TTI Base Pads. I also want to point out that "Cranking down" the set screw alone isn't going to keep the set screw from backing out. You need to apply some blue lock tight to the set screw, then tighten it down to the desired pin resistance setting. Do that once, and you are done for the life of the base pad.

ANY screws used on or in a firearm need lock tight on them to keep them from backing out. That is gun maintenance & reliability basics. Also don't assume that any manufacture has applied lock tight to the screws for you.

Loctite is a lesson I should have learned a long time ago.  I think I lost about 3 HF on a classifier yesterday because my mag button loosened and prevented a magazine from dropping free.  It's getting Loctited tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to buy the atlas mags but every single MBX mag I've ever bought worked 100% of the time right out of the bag. Load then 5 times, then take them to the match. I've never had one fail case gauge either. This is with limited, open and tanfo mags. 

The single "atlas tuned" STI gen 2 170 I bought took me hours to get to work 90% of the time. After that I swore off atlas mags. I don't have the patience to deal with tuning mags. Especially when I can buy MBX. 

5 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I'd like to buy the atlas mags but every single MBX mag I've ever bought worked 100% of the time right out of the bag. Load then 5 times, then take them to the match. I've never had one fail case gauge either. This is with limited, open and tanfo mags. 

The single "atlas tuned" STI gen 2 170 I bought took me hours to get to work 90% of the time. After that I swore off atlas mags. I don't have the patience to deal with tuning mags. Especially when I can buy MBX. 

Not my experience at all. Took the new mags out of package, loaded them and ran a match with them. All 170s. Haven't had issues with them yet in ~2000 rounds. Atlas pads don't pass the IPSC gauge. TTI 3mm Pads do.

My 3 relatively new Atlas 170mm 9mm is 100% reliable in .38super/comp in both my 2 sti framed open guns. With Dawson tool less +1 basepads (not the snl) and Taran thin followrs and 13coil springs, it loads 27rnds .38s and passes ipsc gauge. 

On 6/1/2022 at 11:15 AM, donno said:

If you run STI basepads, I would highly recommend Shooting Sports Innovations Nitro basepads. No screws, no pins and will come off in about 2 seconds. He has them for STI and SV currently but is working on MBX's. Go to the website and watch the video on how easy to get on/off. 

I have watched the video twice; what is the mechanism they use for easy on/off? Do they work with the Limcat magazine well?

2 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I have watched the video twice; what is the mechanism they use for easy on/off? Do they work with the Limcat magazine well?

There is no mechanism, its a little push followed by a pull. I'm not familiar with the Limcat design but if it is modeled after STI, yes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I now have 2 Atlas 170s. Got one with my new open gun and bought one to try durring their 20% off sale. Loaded each 5 times to set the springs in. Only get 28 in the mags which is fine with me and after some hand cycling and a little live fire when I was practicing one night they ran perfect. 

I have 2 170s 2 140s 9mm and 2 140 40

they all work great right out of the package 

great mags

and the price is unbeatable considering even when u bought mbx i dropped the guts for grams

atlas tunes every mag before it ships

they are very solid

mine holds 28 plus one mbx 29 plus one 

one atlas can get 29 but be pushing it

I was running mbx for a while. They worked fine.

Saw these atlas cheaper so I picked some up. They worked fine.

Mbx 170 - 30 rounds, $160

Atlas 170 - 29 rounds, $120

Thats really the only difference.

• 2 months later...

Well my girlfriend has been shooting my open gun since end of June. Started out with just MBX and then picked up 2 Atlas 170s. In my MBX mags we have only ever got 29 rounds reliably in them, Atlas are 28 rounds and reloadable too.  No issues with the Atlas mags at all. So when I made the switch at the end lf the season I ordered 4 more, the DLC coated ones. Loaded them 5 or so times with the maglula and then headed to the range. Seem to be working just fine. Don't know if the DLC is really needed but I think it looks cool and I can tell which mags are hers vs mine. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, lroy said:

The atlas mags are definitely different dimensions than mbx. I set my alpha pouches for mbx then realized my atlas ones were crazy tight in them.

Anyone try out their new followers that let you get 29+1?

I get 29 in my MBX 170.