Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Magdumper said:

She Came today!

Everything feels amazing but the safety is not as tactile as I'd like, but it is a moot point. Can't wait to get out, zero her, and destroy people at some matches lol

image.thumb.jpeg.ae80e202888ac85816bd9e81262de099.jpeg

They don't stake the castle nut? lol

18 hours ago, Magdumper said:

She Came today!

Everything feels amazing but the safety is not as tactile as I'd like, but it is a moot point. Can't wait to get out, zero her, and destroy people at some matches lol

image.thumb.jpeg.ae80e202888ac85816bd9e81262de099.jpeg

im so jealous. I can’t wait for mine! I bought mine for my 50th bday present last year. Hopefully I get it by my 51rst. 

Edited by chrsb
More words

First Impressions:

I took it to the range yesterday to sight it in and get a rough feeling for it. shot about 1 inch groups at 35 yards where I zeroed it and was nailing clay pigeons at 100 every time. For a load I was using 124 grain RMR JHPs over 4.2 grains of titegroup that makes 142 PF out of my HK USP - forgot my chrono so I'll check next time with my JP5. The only other load I tried for function was my CO minor load that shoots 131 pf from a pistol and both cycled flawlessly, and I couldn't tell the difference in recoil impulse.

Ran a bill drill at 35 yards after zeroing it, and kept them all in the A and C zones with an average split of .17, and this is my first time shooting a PCC minus about 100 rounds through a buddies MP5. I have a good amount of practice behind rifles but never competed with them on a serious level.

Next I went to the 25 yard line and ran some drills at 25, 12, and 7 yards, splits in the .12-.16 range were effortless and the dot moves about an inch or two max for me at 25 yards. It basically feels like a laser gun. Very similar to a braked .223 but without the noise and concussion which makes it a very pleasant shooting experience.

The stock trigger is incredible, no take-up or overtravel and 1.5mm of reset/total travel. Really don't think it would hold anyone back.

I tried OEM Glock 31 + 10 TF extensions mags, Magpul 17 rounders, a Glock 26 10 rounder it ships with, and OEM Glock 24 rounders and had absolutely no issues at all.

Overall extremely happy and meets my expectations for what I was paying for. I will be taking it out again today to do some more drills and I can report back.

7 hours ago, Magdumper said:

First Impressions:

I took it to the range yesterday to sight it in and get a rough feeling for it. shot about 1 inch groups at 35 yards where I zeroed it and was nailing clay pigeons at 100 every time. For a load I was using 124 grain RMR JHPs over 4.2 grains of titegroup that makes 142 PF out of my HK USP - forgot my chrono so I'll check next time with my JP5. The only other load I tried for function was my CO minor load that shoots 131 pf from a pistol and both cycled flawlessly, and I couldn't tell the difference in recoil impulse.

Ran a bill drill at 35 yards after zeroing it, and kept them all in the A and C zones with an average split of .17, and this is my first time shooting a PCC minus about 100 rounds through a buddies MP5. I have a good amount of practice behind rifles but never competed with them on a serious level.

Next I went to the 25 yard line and ran some drills at 25, 12, and 7 yards, splits in the .12-.16 range were effortless and the dot moves about an inch or two max for me at 25 yards. It basically feels like a laser gun. Very similar to a braked .223 but without the noise and concussion which makes it a very pleasant shooting experience.

The stock trigger is incredible, no take-up or overtravel and 1.5mm of reset/total travel. Really don't think it would hold anyone back.

I tried OEM Glock 31 + 10 TF extensions mags, Magpul 17 rounders, a Glock 26 10 rounder it ships with, and OEM Glock 24 rounders and had absolutely no issues at all.

Overall extremely happy and meets my expectations for what I was paying for. I will be taking it out again today to do some more drills and I can report back.

Glad to hear it. Will you be tuning the locking pieces to your ammo?

I thought it would ship with extra locking pieces but it didn't... but it shoots really well as is with 100% reliability so I probably won't. I am not the type of person to try to tune stuff for super small gains (potentially reducing reliability) unless there is an actual problem present.

7 hours ago, Magdumper said:

I thought it would ship with extra locking pieces but it didn't... but it shoots really well as is with 100% reliability so I probably won't. I am not the type of person to try to tune stuff for super small gains (potentially reducing reliability) unless there is an actual problem present.

That's interesting, I also assumed it would come with the extra locking pieces

13 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

That's interesting, I also assumed it would come with the extra locking pieces

I believe JP said they would be sold separately after they had the initial run done?

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I doubt they have a large amount if any of the locking pieces in stock.  I do not see them on their website.

Plus why include them when you can make people buy them separate for more revenue?  

Yep--revenue. I bet soon after several guns get out to the public you'll see all the factory type shooters exclaim how much better their gun shoots with xyz locking piece.

2 minutes ago, egd5 said:

Yep--revenue. I bet soon after several guns get out to the public you'll see all the factory type shooters exclaim how much better their gun shoots with xyz locking piece.

That of course is always possible.  From my understanding though and I believe it, the locking piece included is best over a wide range of loads.  So don't be surprised if you see different locking pieces for ammo with higher PF and say some ammo specifically built for SC where the PF is considerably lower.  

Every company  is always looking for revenue, but every hobby is always littered with the flavor of the week which has less to do with manufacturers as it does lemmings drinking the Kool-Aid.  

Technically you can swap the mp5 locking pieces into this...which are available already. But I feel JP will make more custom type ones.

I would stock up on extractor springs to have. its the only real weak spot of the system, imo.

Yes. They emailed an invoice for balance due and asked if the same card would be used that I used for the $500. I emailed back yes. Ben answered within 15 min. Should be here Thursday. I’ll be at the range Friday morning to see what load I will be using. It’s the competition version.😊😊😊

16 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

That of course is always possible.  From my understanding though and I believe it, the locking piece included is best over a wide range of loads.  So don't be surprised if you see different locking pieces for ammo with higher PF and say some ammo specifically built for SC where the PF is considerably lower.  

Every company  is always looking for revenue, but every hobby is always littered with the flavor of the week which has less to do with manufacturers as it does lemmings drinking the Kool-Aid.  

I'll get ahead of both of y'all on this one. While I'm a fan of conspiracy theories, JP is not withholding parts to make more $$ down the road. 

I've used 80 degree and 90 degree pieces so far. Both have run everything I tested which was quite extensive. Could I perceive differences? If I really got down to nit picking things, yes. Unless you absolutely have all the time and ammo in the world to test for a couple thousand rounds just buy the JP 5, pick a locking piece, forget what it was, and run it for an entire season.

The difference in JP5 lock pieces is so infinitesimally minimal compared to the JP5 vs any other PCC it's laughable. Literal laughter has been the first reaction of most folks when they run mine compared to their PCC. I couldn't stop laughing the first 500 rounds we put through mine. 

8 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I've used 80 degree and 90 degree pieces so far. Both have run everything I tested which was quite extensive. Could I perceive differences? If I really got down to nit picking things, yes.

I figured this was the case.

I cannot imagine anyone on the clock could truly tell the differences between the locking pieces at all.  Sure some will claim to be able to, and again I subscribe to there will be a thread on this forum on people arguing over what locking pieces are best for this or that, and why you should buy said locking piece.  That has zero to do with JP.  

My comment was not based at all in conspiracy.  Its the operational motive of all companies to make money.  JP is no exception to this.  I do not think what they are doing is unethical or screwing their customer base in regards to include or not include items like these with the purchase of their PCC or rifles for that matter.   It is just business.  JP makes top notch stuff, and with that it comes at a price.  If people to not like or think the company is unethical for not including such items with their PCC they are free to do business elsewhere.  I am not one of those people, as I am still waiting for shipping notification for my JP5. 

Edited by Boomstick303