Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

Im running the arisaka offset RMR mount. The taller one with a viridian RFX35 green dot. I have the 510C green as my main optic.

I can’t wait for Holosun 507 Comp green dot is released.  Altho my offset will still be a DPP 

On 4/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, mpeltier said:

I been playing these games a long time.....I'm tying to wrap my head around a second offset dot. Why ya all doin that??

To get this question on Instagram. 

On a 3 gun rifle it makes more sense running a LPVO and dot offset. For a PCC with a holographic sight like a UH-1, I almost never use the offset dot. 

I have a 510C and a offset DPP, I usually don't use the offset unless I see a stage that calls for it. Last match I didn't turn it on because I didn't think I needed it. Wouldn't you know that in the middle of a stage the 510 went out, that cost me a lot of time.

10 hours ago, sharko said:

I have a 510C and a offset DPP, I usually don't use the offset unless I see a stage that calls for it. Last match I didn't turn it on because I didn't think I needed it. Wouldn't you know that in the middle of a stage the 510 went out, that cost me a lot of time.

And this is exactly why I always turn my 45 degree offset secondary sight on even if the stage doesn't require it.

I've had red dot sights fail and batteries fail during stages.

I very rarely use my offset so much so I posted maybe even on this post that I almost do not see the point.  Then I thought about it the other day, it is always good to have redundancy.  I have also found I have on occasion used the offset just out of habit, when not needed like I use the offset red dot (in combination with an LPVO) on my Open AR15 rig which I use in 2 and 3 Gun matches.  So there is that. 

I imagine its not a necessity, but a luxury.  You would be fine without it, but on a rare occasion it might be worth the price if you shoot enough.  

2 hours ago, GrumpyNO said:

To get back on track with JP-5 specific stuff. Are there any spare parts I should have readily available, just in case?

Honestly? 

I don't even bother. I'm sure you can buy parts to make you happy and all but if you're asking me after 3 or so years what I carry in parts, it's batteries for optics. 

35 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Honestly? 

I don't even bother. I'm sure you can buy parts to make you happy and all but if you're asking me after 3 or so years what I carry in parts, it's batteries for optics. 

Really? Not even an extractor spring? How many rounds have you run it?

2 hours ago, GrumpyNO said:

Really? Not even an extractor spring? How many rounds have you run it?

Over 30k on a few of them now. Roughly 115 shooters plus me worth. 

I follow JP's preventative maintenance schedule but no, I really don't carry spare parts. 

8 hours ago, GrumpyNO said:

To get back on track with JP-5 specific stuff. Are there any spare parts I should have readily available, just in case?

I don’t have nearly the experience with this model as others here but just my $0.03 ( which is just a little more than $0.02). I have JP’s base spare parts kit. 

I’m only @ 5K rounds into my first 5 and have a secondary gun now. My plan is to change FP, extractor, ejector, roller & buffer springs at 10K intervals. Also buffer O-rings at that point. Needed, prob not but springs are cheap so why chance it? Total cost is less than a couple of open mag springs. 

One other item I plan to replace after 10K is the clip that retains the ejector arm. No pressure on it but might be cheap insurance. $0.50 might wreck a stage one day. 

Prob overkill but no more than I shoot by the time I get 50K on both guns JP will come out with the new hotness and this cycle will start again. 

Thread re-derail time. On the 45deg optic, I never ran one on my GMR’s but succumbed to the temptation on the 5’s. First time and no experience initially. Step one, make sure the cover is off! Don’t ask!! It’s like moving from irons to an optic. You still need to learn the index but once done, it’s just another tool in your arsenal. The 45 is basically like a backup gun, you don’t need it until you do. Then it’s great. But that isn’t often. If you plan to use it make sure you plan for it in walkthrough & visualization. All boils down to personal preference. 

-PTR

Another question on the optics track. Does anyone use a magnifier with your red dot/Holo sight? I just shot a match this weekend with a high percentage of targets at 30-70 meters. While I did ok, I'm wondering if it would have been beneficial with a flip-down magnifier together with my UH-1 for the longest shots. Is this something anyone does for USPSA etc.? Or should I forget about it and just practice more long shots?

4 hours ago, GrumpyNO said:

Another question on the optics track. Does anyone use a magnifier with your red dot/Holo sight? I just shot a match this weekend with a high percentage of targets at 30-70 meters. While I did ok, I'm wondering if it would have been beneficial with a flip-down magnifier together with my UH-1 for the longest shots. Is this something anyone does for USPSA etc.? Or should I forget about it and just practice more long shots?

It's a 9mm. There's no reason to use a magnifier. 

On 4/12/2023 at 3:54 AM, GrumpyNO said:

Your zero distance probably was more of an issue than lack of magnification. 

25 minutes ago, 42ATK said:

What trigger do you have in that bad boy? How does it feel when compared to a tuned blowback PCC?

My setup is;

Geissele SD3G

BAD 60° ambi safety 

80 locker

JP SCS 308 red buffer spring 

115gr RN @ ~136pf

I don’t have any time behind a blowback to compare with. It shoots very similar to my MPX’ 

26 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

My setup is;

Geissele SD3G

BAD 60° ambi safety 

80 locker

JP SCS 308 red buffer spring 

115gr RN @ ~136pf

I don’t have any time behind a blowback to compare with. It shoots very similar to my MPX’ 

Thanks for the info! Do you think it’s worth the price over the MPX?