Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel roller delayed buffer

got mine out for a little over 60 rounds yesterday.  Have some random 124 grain federal I ran through a 10.5 inch barrel with the bcg weight removed.  Used 2 heavy springs and 1 light spring in the #3 spot.  I was pretty happy with it just with those few rounds and setup.  Felt really no recoil and dot movement was vertical, minimal and it came back on target pretty fast. 

Kinda felt like my stibog which i really like. Compared to my ar9 with 16" macon barrel, hydraulic HD buffer +weights to short stroke I also kinda like how the scheel felt over it.  Big con for me against the ar9 mentioned is the weight savings.  My ar9 with all that mass and heavier barrel just felt cumbersome to move around with.

Couldn't really do anything since I had to go to a indoor range which I try to get in and out of quickly.  Will take it to my club some time in next week or two and play with it more, but so far I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Jrcnky
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just had to try one in my SBR.

It was already set up with a TACCOM buffer and it already was somewhat soft, but not even close to my JP-5, but my SBR was softer shooting than my Sons PCC that is running a standard buffer with no weight in the carrier.

The Scheel was easy to install and I have started with the recommendation in the literature for 124 factory ammo. Shot about 50 rds and it is softer than with the TACCOM buffer. It falls just about in-between where it was and the JP-5. I didn't think it would be close to the JP-5. I plan to play more with the springs after break in, but so far its been a positive experience. My SBR is a side charger, and initial charging needed to be somewhat brisk, but after hand charging it a few times and a box of ammo, I either got stronger or it smoothed out.

My only nit pick is I wish the rollers were black DLC coated. Those shiny silver orbs stick out like a lighthouse in the fog.

IMG_5740.thumb.jpeg.b607c8e5636de51522402def92f22476.jpeg

IMG_5741.thumb.jpeg.c7d347a075d1f675c545449c03056d63.jpeg

IMG_5742.thumb.jpeg.0929476420b1dcf051a860ba7b5cfb14.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with inconsistent recoil impulse? I installed it as per Corey's instructions and every now and then I get random really soft impulses followed by really hard. Tried it with a bunch of different combination of springs after break in and made sure my ammo chronoed consistently at 135 pf 124g. Reached out to Corey but he hasnt responded in a while and im stuck.

I've never experienced any unusual bolt/recoil impulses using the Scheel 1st generation RDBS. I have it set up exactly as Corey recommended in the literature and have never felt the need to mess around with it. I'm shooting a 147 grain plated bullet that chronos 150PF from a 16 inch barrel. 

No inconsistent recoil impulses experienced either. 

Only a few possibilities here: 

1) The buffer should provided the same amount of resistance on each cycle... unless something is worn/broken/damaged. Inspect your action spring to ensure it's not binding on the rear of the buffer and/or the nylon bumper on the Gen1. Make sure the rollers are moving freely and the roller springs aren't damaged or "mushrooming" on the ends (common with Gen1). 

2) The ammo isn't as consistent as you think it is and you are indeed experiencing some velocity swings. 

What's the SD/ES on 10 rounds of your 135PF ammo across the chrono? 

In my PCC I've got to oil the inside of the buffer tube, because the recoil spring is so weak.

I'm running a light and heavy small spring in the buffer, and the heavier recoil spring.

Here's the ammo I'm running

Name: 9mm: 124gr RMR RN: Win 231 3.8gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.110 PCC
Notes: Juggernaut PCC 16"
Shots: 5
Average: 1132 ft/s
SD: 13 ft/s
Min: 1110 ft/s
Max: 1147 ft/s
Spread: 37 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 140
Power Factor Low: 137
Power Factor High: 142
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 58 F
Weight: 124.0 gr.
Powder/Wt: Win 231 / 3.8
Bullet/Wt: RMR / 124
Primer: Win SPP
OAL: 1.110
Gun: Juggernaut PCC 16"

Edited by ysrracer

I've only noticed this during the break-in period where the first shot was always soft and the following shots were harsh. I couldn't figure out what caused it as chambering a round cocks the hammer exactly the same way as it would after firing one off. This was also when I shot only 115gr. factory ammo. After break-in, I switched to my reloads and it's been super soft ever since.

On 3/21/2023 at 10:31 PM, Artemis116 said:

Has anyone had any issues with inconsistent recoil impulse? I installed it as per Corey's instructions and every now and then I get random really soft impulses followed by really hard. Tried it with a bunch of different combination of springs after break in and made sure my ammo chronoed consistently at 135 pf 124g. Reached out to Corey but he hasnt responded in a while and im stuck.

No inconsistent shots. I use off-the-shelf ammo.  I have both Gen 1 and 2 versions in 2 different PCC's.

39 minutes ago, WildPete said:

No inconsistent shots. I use off-the-shelf ammo.  I have both Gen 1 and 2 versions in 2 different PCC's.

Factory ammo is far more inconsistent than my hand loads. 😂 

You chrono’d it - what’s the spread? 

Just now, Dirty_J said:

Factory ammo is far more inconsistent than my hand loads. 😂 

You chrono’d it - what’s the spread? 

Sorry, no Chrono. I was referring to the recoil impulse.  I use PNR 135 gr ammo for the steel challenge. Depending on BCG and barrel length using that ammo, both PCC has a different recoil impulse. I shot a match on Saturday, and it appears that my PCCI (MBX Extreme barreled PCC/Scheel v.2)) looks like it doesn't move. This was observed from other shooters.

On 3/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, Dirty_J said:

No inconsistent recoil impulses experienced either. 

Only a few possibilities here: 

1) The buffer should provided the same amount of resistance on each cycle... unless something is worn/broken/damaged. Inspect your action spring to ensure it's not binding on the rear of the buffer and/or the nylon bumper on the Gen1. Make sure the rollers are moving freely and the roller springs aren't damaged or "mushrooming" on the ends (common with Gen1). 

2) The ammo isn't as consistent as you think it is and you are indeed experiencing some velocity swings. 

What's the SD/ES on 10 rounds of your 135PF ammo across the chrono? 

Using a magneto speed my SD is 14 FPS across 10 rounds.

Im going to try to shoot it at a match to see if mine just needs further break in, shot about 150ish rds when I first got it for break in using the initial springs, maybe another 50 or so when trying out different combos.

4 minutes ago, Artemis116 said:

Using a magneto speed my SD is 14 FPS across 10 rounds.

Im going to try to shoot it at a match to see if mine just needs further break in, shot about 150ish rds when I first got it for break in using the initial springs, maybe another 50 or so when trying out different combos.

If you’re only 200rds in… I’d think you just need to shoot it more. The G1 buffer recommended 200rds before bothering with spring swaps. You’ve gotta chamfer all those edged cut into the buffer tube and such. 

I had zero negative experiences with my G1 scheel buffer… but I find a better recoil impulse for me with the blitz 5020ss and with it being less than 1/2 the cost, I’ve gone back to it. 

• 11 months later...

Doing a new lower build, first time for me. Using a stripped Aero lower, cmc 9mm trigger and the Scheel rdbs g2 I just got. Using an existing upper, Taccom upper, Taccom ulw barrel,  Taccom short stroke bcg. Schell rdbs setup per instructions, heavy spring hole  1, light spring hole 2.

Ran about 30 rds fine then the bolt started to not go fully forward. Figured I would finish break in. Fire a round or two and clear round not chambered. Then I had the bolt lock back into the buffer tube. At home I was able to press the trigger down with a screw driver and get the bolt forward.

So 2 problems, weak bolt return and bolt recoiling too far any help would be greatly appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, Pck said:

Doing a new lower build, first time for me. Using a stripped Aero lower, cmc 9mm trigger and the Scheel rdbs g2 I just got. Using an existing upper, Taccom upper, Taccom ulw barrel,  Taccom short stroke bcg. Schell rdbs setup per instructions, heavy spring hole  1, light spring hole 2.

Ran about 30 rds fine then the bolt started to not go fully forward. Figured I would finish break in. Fire a round or two and clear round not chambered. Then I had the bolt lock back into the buffer tube. At home I was able to press the trigger down with a screw driver and get the bolt forward.

So 2 problems, weak bolt return and bolt recoiling too far any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Have you tried using a different BCG? To isolate the issue

I am planning to try my Taccom standard bcg instead of the short stroke bcg, hopefully this afternoon. The upper runs fine on my other lower that has standard buffer and spring. 

6 minutes ago, Pck said:

I shot 60 rds using the standard bcg with no problems. It didn't feel like it was shooting as flat as it did with the ss bcg.

I figured so. Im guessing the roller delayed didnt have enough spring power to push it forward for short stroke BCG. You could try a blowback BCG if you have one on hand.