Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory 40 S&W Over All Length (OAL)

tampa3gun

Hey Guys,

I have a new-to-me Brazos STI Edge 2011 that appears to like long 40 S&W ammo. I bought some truncated cone ammo and it choked a couple times per mag. I did not see any pics and/or measurements of factory 40 S&W ammo online...Long loaded 40 S&W appears to be around 1.175 OAL

Feel free to add your OAL and/or pics

Edited by tampa3gun

atlanta arms makes regular length .40 180gammo that is 1.125 and they make long that is 1.175.  precision delta long ammo is 1.180.  [per both their websites]

i've been using the atlanta regular in my brazos hp sti edge and it's run 100%.  but for some reason i have them building me their semi-custom and they said to load to 1.200.

SAAMI spec for 40 S&W shows a max COAL of 1.135" and a min COAL of 1.085".  See page 51 of https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf  

I think any 40 S&W loaded longer than 1.135" is considered to be loaded long.  Many of us use 10mm mags for our 40 S&W loads and the magazine determines the absolute maximum length that we can load (10mm max COAL is 1.260").   You need to find a COAL that your gun likes that also fits in the magazine. 

My long 40 S&W rounds are 1.200" to feed reliably in my competition guns.  

• 6 months later...
On 3/24/2021 at 8:29 PM, tampa3gun said:

Hey Guys,

I have a new-to-me Brazos STI Edge 2011 that appears to like long 40 S&W ammo. I bought some truncated cone ammo and it choked a couple times per mag. I did not see any pics and/or measurements of factory 40 S&W ammo online...Long loaded 40 S&W appears to be around 1.175 OAL

Feel free to add your OAL and/or pics

Do you reload? Most guys including myself load RNFP bullets around 1.190 for 2011's. 

You can feel it when you rack the slide when the rounds are to short, a short round will hand the slide up a bit. 

I think there was a video either from atlas or Charlie Perez on reading the feed ramp to identify if your mags are tuned correctly and your bullet length is right. 

SAAMI spec for .40 SW is 1.085 min to 1.135 max.  Any off the shelf factory ammo should be in this range.  For reloads, competition shooters generally load theirs at 1.800 or 1.200 to facilitate feeding in 1911/2011 guns.

8 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

SAAMI spec for .40 SW is 1.085 min to 1.135 max.  Any off the shelf factory ammo should be in this range.  For reloads, competition shooters generally load theirs at 1.800 or 1.200 to facilitate feeding in 1911/2011 guns.

I hope you meant 1.180"

• 1 month later...

My 2011 STI Eagle 40 cal runs best on 1.180 " OAL cartridges since the ramp is cut for a 10mm? Shorter length ammo- factory in store ammo, 1.11 to 1.30"- usually jams due to the shorter length.

I ran alot of Precision Moly 185's and 155's at 1.150 in my STI as I had a pretty good stockpile. That length would still work in my factory Paraord and Hipower. For my SS 1911, had to use the 40 spacer mags for it. I was traveling alot and I kept the Para ordnance set up for factory American Eagle 165's. 
Eventually I put a new barrel in the Para, and now everything except the HP runs 1.180

• 1 month later...

I see you are looking for ammo, not reload data,,
You will find alm ost all readily available factory ammo wont work in your gun. They will be in the 1.135 area.
Look at the specialty bulk suppliers and order by the case the long loaded stuff. 1.180 ish will probably work fine. All I run in my STI... Id buy a ruger pc 40 if it would run stuff that length, as I have gallons of the stuff loaded.