Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shots worse with thumb rest?

Installed a thumb rest on my limited gun and love it. Helps get consistent grip and I thought it helped me reduce recoil. But after a couple matches and watching a video of a stage I've noticed two things. Shots are spread out more and gun dips on recoil now. The second it may have done the whole time I'm not exactly sure. But I find it odd that my shots are spread out further now? Any insite?

Try putting less downward pressure on it.  I saw something similar when I was running one on a open gun.  I'd normally say go run some bill drills while varying the pressure you put on it and see what you get (allowing for ammo availability.)

19 hours ago, caspian guy said:

Try putting less downward pressure on it.  I saw something similar when I was running one on a open gun.  I'd normally say go run some bill drills while varying the pressure you put on it and see what you get (allowing for ammo availability.)

I'm planning on getting over to the local indoor range saturday and testing out a couple different recoil springs and a very modified bill drill type thing. Going to video it and see what works best. I havent tested any recoil springs other then 12.5 in this gun yet as I just got it finished a few months ago. Just put a 12.5# in since it was what I used with the last limited gun. 

One of the reasons I gave up on thumb rests is that, while it may give you a consistent grip position, it makes recoil control more complex by adding the additional factor of thumb pressure. You can spend a couple hundred hours and several thousand rounds in practice to refine it. Or just keep your grip, and your pistol, as simple as possible. I put one on a pistols a few years ago and shots were going everywhere. And it wasn't one direction where I could see, "Ok, I'm shooting low-right, I can adjust that by..." it was totally inconsistent. Got rid of the thumb rest and everything tightened back up.

The more you complicate things, the more difficult it is to be consistent. 

Edited by Dranoel

• 1 month later...

So I've gone back and forth with my limited gun with the thumb rest and I think psyched myself out a bit due to a friend deciding to take his thumb rest off because it was making the gun dip more. What I have found is I can be just as consistent with our without it but my grip is way more consistent with the thumb rest. I have been shooting and practicing with my SS pistol recently, about the last 2.5 months because the mitten match, locap only, is at the end of this month and I still get the spread out shots if I'm going to fast. Usually it's due to early trigger pull on a transition followed up by a second well placed shot. I just recently got into a club that I can live fire train at when ever I want, 24hr indoor range access. And have been soly working on transitions for the last month. Shot a match this past weekend and I'm getting a LOT more close doubles then before. I've also started training with a few friends who are A class and close to making M. That has helped out a ton due to having people around who can watch and critique me. 

So while I am choosing to keep the thumb rest I do think it isnt for everyone and you need to try it before you spend the time or money to have one installed. 

• 8 months later...

when i shot open i always had a thumb rest. however it depended on the weight of the gun and i noticed that I didn't need to leverage the thumbrest as much with a front heavier gun (titanium comp and tungsten sleeve) but without it, that slight downward pressure helped me with getting back on target that much faster. 

I'm shooting CO now and i'm thinking about getting tungsten battery inserts and a brass grip to get me closer to that 59oz weight limit. 

Edited by Kwontanamo

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried a thumb rest on my limited guns a few times. I even shot a season with it. At the end I decided against it for various reasons. The main one is it prevents me from switching between different guns (The ones without a thumb rest) easily. Also the benefit of it is highly debatable for me. Perhaps it works better with an Open gun but with everything else it is actually counterproductive. At least for me.

• 1 month later...

Well my how times change as we grow. My open gun still has a thumb rest but I never shoot it. I took it off my limited gun. But this past year I shot CO and being a lefty I didn't have a way to put one on my tanfo or CZC so I had the frame serrated on the right side on the CZC as it is my main gun. I liked it a lot. Gives me the index point I want and a little bit of traction to not have my thumb slide up and slow down the slide any. In fact I liked it enough to have it done to my new LO 2011. if I do go back to open or limited I won't keep the thumb rest on them. 

Interesting topic.  Had a class this weekend and everyone recommended a thumb rest, but this thread makes it seem to be a mixed bag.  I will just work on locking my wrist out and keeping my thumb off the slide, and I think I will get better results.

• 4 months later...

Like one shooter said here, a thumb rest adds a new pressure point if you haven’t used them before.  It seems logical it can be leveraged to your advantage, once you learn how to finesse it.  I think I’d have my first race gun built without one.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I put the T-Sports Thumblock on my Sig P320. I had to change my grip to finger on front of trigger guard, but, immediately notice better recoil control, and my groups tightened up significantly. 

SIG P320 Thumblock.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

very interesting im a "new-er" shooter but i definitely like my *thumb rest [generic]*. its possible that since im still progressing though shooting unlike some on here that tens of thousands of rounds and have great technique. i just wonder if its a crutch that will bite me in the long run.