Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet weather and targets

my00wrx1

Looking for suggestions on protecting targets during rain so the match can continue.  While we will have a small supply of weather proof targets and patches I was also thinking of getting some dry cleaning bags as a cheap backup, anyone have any experience or alternative suggestions?

Dry cleaning bags are so yesterday. MD’s are switching to heavier duty bags now. So much easier to lift paste and drop. ULINE sells them as well as shooters connection. I’m sure the SC bags are just ULINE in disguise.

There are also those match shark things. They're a little pricey up front but they'll last pretty much forever and do a good job on keeping the target dry in most conditions. Another bonus is you can keep your pasters under your rain coat until you get to the target you're pasting, then kind of get under the overhang before you take them out. This makes your pasters last longer before they're to wet to use. 

A local guy developed them and has since sold the idea to the guys currently doing them. Because of that my local club got to use some of the first ones and they still use the same set after several years. I've shot a bunch of matches with them. It's not perfect, but I like it better then bags. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

There are also those match shark things. They're a little pricey up front but they'll last pretty much forever and do a good job on keeping the target dry in most conditions. Another bonus is you can keep your pasters under your rain coat until you get to the target you're pasting, then kind of get under the overhang before you take them out. This makes your pasters last longer before they're to wet to use. 

A local guy developed them and has since sold the idea to the guys currently doing them. Because of that my local club got to use some of the first ones and they still use the same set after several years. I've shot a bunch of matches with them. It's not perfect, but I like it better then bags. 

Disregard... Found it.  www.matchshark.com  

At $17.50 each this would be a significant investment (and still get a bit shot up) over the $1 cost of the ULine / Shooters Connection bags.

BC

Edited by BillChunn
question answered via google-foo

On my side of the world, people have been using targets from https://www.facebook.com/NordicTarget-As-901650819958337/ for Matches when wet weather is expected. Not sure how COVID has hit him. We only put them up when rain is really coming. Normal tape or patches dont stick to them well, so we get his special tape too.

This looks similar:

https://www.doublealpha.biz/ca/ced-daa-uspsa-ipsc-waterproof-targets-500-pack

So what we did a couple years ago was slightly angle the targets forward just a bit so rain doesn't stay on the face of the cardboard as easily and then cover with a cheap plastic garbage bag and binder clips them on there. We replaced every time we replaced the targets.

3 hours ago, my00wrx1 said:

The match sharks are going to be out of our budget.  How much use can you get out of a bag - I am guessing you would change it when you change the target?

Ours lasted through the entire day.  Targets underneath were changed but since you already have bullet holes in the bag and its a clear bag, just reuse it.

BC

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 6:19 AM, Sarge said:

Dry cleaning bags are so yesterday. MD’s are switching to heavier duty bags now. So much easier to lift paste and drop. ULINE sells them as well as shooters connection. I’m sure the SC bags are just ULINE in disguise.

LOL, you would be wrong. Possible Uline is buying from same people we are as they are similar. I think when buying in bulk the pricing is similar. Cant buy just 1 or 10 at uline but you can from us.

On 2/24/2021 at 5:42 AM, stick said:

CED/DAA makes waterproof targets.  $675 for 500.

You're better off using bags to cover the targets.

Seems like that is cheaper than the cost of targets PLUS the bags,,, and less work

• 1 month later...