Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Streamlight flashlights?

jmac2112

I see Primary Arms has Streamlight products on sale for the next 20 hours or so, and I've been thinking of getting a light for my SP-01 home-defense pistol.  I've never had a light on a gun before, though, so I don't know what to look for.   Can anyone give my some guidance?  Is Streamlight a good brand?  Is there something better for a similar price?  

Thanks!

John

A lot of people buy Streamlight because of the price point.  I prefer Surefire, but you certainly pay for the name.  I've had better luck with the lights that use a spring tension method of attachment vs. the tightening of a screw.  I've seen lots of lights bounce down range with those and mine has never shot loose.

I have a couple of the Streamlights and they're very nice quality and perform extremely well.  Can't say how well they'd hold up vs. Surefire, but unless you're using the thing constantly like in a LEO role or something, I wouldn't pay the extra money for a Surefire.  Also, if you're using it for home defense I'd get the regular vs. the high output version because the latter is super bright and without time for your eyes to adjust, chances are it'll blind you just as bad as the guy you're pointing it at.

Sadly, I have a serious light fetish.  I've got Surefires, Streamlights, (and others I won't mention), but lately I've been using Olights and really like them.

https://www.olightstore.com/tacticalnew.html

So far after a bunch of night matches, they have been very reliable, both for function and retention, very good light patterns, rechargeable options, good price points, and innovative designs.  Okay as innovative as you can get with a light.  I really like their quick detach adjustable mount.  I've loaned out one of them several times and no problems even with abusing them in dump barrels.

1 hour ago, jmac2112 said:

I see Primary Arms has Streamlight products on sale for the next 20 hours or so, and I've been thinking of getting a light for my SP-01 home-defense pistol.  I've never had a light on a gun before, though, so I don't know what to look for.   Can anyone give my some guidance?  Is Streamlight a good brand?  Is there something better for a similar price?  

Thanks!

John

For indoor use I would recommend less than 600 lumen, especially if your walls are painted white.  The splashback is blinding.

https://www.olightstore.com/olight-pl-mini-2-black-1.html  600 lumen, $90, adjustable QD mount

https://www.olightstore.com/baldr-mini.html 600 lumen, green laser, $130, adjustable QD mount

If PA can beat those features and prices, get the Streamlights, they will be fine, otherwise look at the Olights.

Streamlights are good to go, several 1000 rounds on a TRL1 with no issues, its been bounced off door frames, cars and its never come loose or gone out.

Picked up a TRL HD (1000 lum) for a carry pistol not long ago, it will burn your eyes out.

Out of 10 or so various streamlights, only one has stopped working on me. A $15 aaa micro. The rest have been great. 
I have a new 500 lumen tlr7 , I would say borders the limit for interior use. My work gun light is 200ish , an old insight, but works well inside. Not so much outside. I’ve been told we’re getting new 1000 lumen streamlights but haven’t see it yet. 

Overall great products, maybe not the best , but they work well for me. 

Streamlights are good, I have an olight pl mini on my home defense pistol. I really like their QD charging system as the light is always on the charger and it's just grab and go if needed. Olight has great black Friday sales so something to think about if you look for another light.

Stream light is a good product. I have a TLR-1 that pulls duty on various pistols that has never given me trouble. 
I’ve carried a stream light stylus pro pen light at work everyday for about 6 years. The paint is nearly worn off it’s been used and abused but just keeps working!

Cant say for a WML but their handheld lights are great. I've beaten mine like it owed me money and 5 years later it still works 100%. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and it sees a LOT of abuse. Driven over it a few times with equipment, dropped on concrete so many times I wouldnt even hazard a guess. 

I know this thread is mire lights mounted to the underside of pistols....

but just an FYI....

streamlight makes both handheld and AR15 forearm (Picatinny) lights that are dual fuel.

they will take a battery that is called an 18650.  It has a little micro USB port which makes it rechargeable.

There are also rechargeable CR123’s out there also.

OP here.  TLR-1s arrived yesterday and I've got it mounted to my SP-01.  I really like it!  Nicely placed controls, just the right amount of light for indoors.  It's wider than I thought it would be, but that's not a problem for a home defense pistol.  Two thumbs up from me!

John

I have a couple of the TRL-1s and 2 older model TLR-1. All work very well and have held up to the abuse I have put them through. I primarily run them on home defense guns, but I have used them for multiple night pistol and 3 gun matches. I would say you are making a solid purchase. 

I fix 737s for a living, while I am not on graves anymore(24years of seniority) Streamlight flashlights rule the roost in my profession, we all have a few of there rechargeables for walk around inspections, my TLR2 is old, it still works great though.