Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post your... questionable... firearm decisions.

matteekay

I can't be the only one who makes odd, some would say "questionable", decisions with their firearm purchases and/or modifications. Let's see 'em!

Ridiculous purchases, guns that you have waaaay to much work/money into, firearms that are intentionally hilarious/hideous/etc, whatever!

Here are some of mine...

10-22 YAR-ger (sold, alas)

I bought a Ruger Charger and realized it's... kinda stupid. So I hacked up a stock and made it even stupid...er.

50172393862_f6eecda584_b.jpg

Pinky the 1911

I bought a 9mm SA 1911, had it tri-topped, and then refinished in pink (okay, "rose gold") TiN. The real joke of this one is it's actually a beast in competition.

50905695493_9859cab75e_b.jpg

Tacti-Awesome .22LR 1911

I bought a GSG 1911 a while ago but never had much love for it. So I figured... let's get stupid! I added a ZR Tactical accurizing kit (a must-have on these guns), Recover Tactical grip kit, magwell, Chinese knockoff light, and no-name red dot. It's actually really fun to shoot now.

50567022643_6fdf7ffb96_b.jpg

And... this thing.

I bought a Heritage Rough Rider in .22LR for $60 once. It was terrible. Heritage fixed it. It was less terrible, but wildly inaccurate. So... I added a rail to the top and mounted a long eye relief scope. I'm not totally sure that I can zero it yet given how it has a slight forward cant...

50924913152_96f018a42c_b.jpg

19 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I can't be the only one who makes odd, some would say "questionable", decisions with their firearm purchases and/or modifications. Let's see 'em!

Ridiculous purchases, guns that you have waaaay to much work/money into, firearms that are intentionally hilarious/hideous/etc, whatever!

Here are some of mine...

10-22 YAR-ger (sold, alas)

I bought a Ruger Charger and realized it's... kinda stupid. So I hacked up a stock and made it even stupid...er.

50172393862_f6eecda584_b.jpg

Pinky the 1911

I bought a 9mm SA 1911, had it tri-topped, and then refinished in pink (okay, "rose gold") TiN. The real joke of this one is it's actually a beast in competition.

50905695493_9859cab75e_b.jpg

Tacti-Awesome .22LR 1911

I bought a GSG 1911 a while ago but never had much love for it. So I figured... let's get stupid! I added a ZR Tactical accurizing kit (a must-have on these guns), Recover Tactical grip kit, magwell, Chinese knockoff light, and no-name red dot. It's actually really fun to shoot now.

50567022643_6fdf7ffb96_b.jpg

And... this thing.

I bought a Heritage Rough Rider in .22LR for $60 once. It was terrible. Heritage fixed it. It was less terrible, but wildly inaccurate. So... I added a rail to the top and mounted a long eye relief scope. I'm not totally sure that I can zero it yet given how it has a slight forward cant...

50924913152_96f018a42c_b.jpg

LOL! I do like that 10-22 😁 Maybe, I can convert mine. 

That 1911 is pretty sharp even if it is pink.

My questionable firearms would be the plethora of 4570s I've had. I currently don't own any but after swearing off owning any three or four other times, and always ending up with one, I might have one again sometime LOL

Buying the Beretta 92FS in stainless that was on the cover of a gun magazine.  Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn.

Put it up for sale at the same gun store where it was purchased.  I have blocked out the amount of money I lost on that one.

BC

Beretta92FS.jpg

1 hour ago, BillChunn said:

Buying the Beretta 92FS in stainless that was on the cover of a gun magazine.  Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn.

Put it up for sale at the same gun store where it was purchased.  I have blocked out the amount of money I lost on that one.

BC

Beretta92FS.jpg

On the other hand... Sooooo shiny....

A while back I found one of my first builds (#6, I think) in a local pawn shop. An NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup .45. I really didn't need another .45 and especially not one as specialized as this. But  I thought it would be cool to have one of my older builds, so I bought it. (for just a bit over what I sold it for 25 yrs ago) I was in a bit of a quandary over just what to do with it. Leave it as is, as a reminder of how far I've come? Update it to my current standards? Or do a total rebuild as something different. The slide/frame fit is still tight and smooth, but the trigger is a mess and the rear of the frame/grip safety needs a serious recontouring. 

When I finished the Legacy Twins (the pistol in my profile pic) I had an idea to build an AR15 and a knife to match that theme and have a complete set. But when I got around to getting parts I went off the rails and built something totally different. (The Perfect 10) Then decided that was not the rifle to match the theme of the Legacy Twins. But another idea started percolating to build a pistol and knife to match the carbon fiber theme of the Perfect 10. I had actually planned to buy another frame and slide, but then got to looking at this pistol and the brain started percolating a fresh pot.

I hadn't been thrilled with keeping the shroud as it just kept getting in the way of things, but getting rid of it meant I would have to weld up the holes in the dust cover and have the slide milled for iron sights. Unless.... What if I cut the shroud down and made it a simpler scope mount? I could Cerakote the frame and slide in black, (after making some other mods and updates) add a set of CF grips and wrap the mount in CF like I did the rifle stock and grips. And the plan was born.

Call me crazy, but wait til it's finished. ;)

Bianca 01.jpg

DSCN1420.JPG

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

I own a 50. Is that bad enough

It depends.... .50 BMG or .50 Action Express or 50 Wyoming Express or .50 JRH or .500 S&W Magnum or .500 Linebaugh or .500 Maximum. 

Any of these is a bit more money per round than say 9mm.... especially the Browning Machine Gun stuff....😎

BC

Edited by BillChunn

26 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

It depends.... .50 BMG or .50 Action Express or 50 Wyoming Express or .50 JRH or .500 S&W Magnum or .500 Linebaugh or .500 Maximum. 

Any of these is a bit more money per round than say 9mm.... especially the Browning Machine Gun stuff....😎

BC

Pretty sure that anytime it's just left at "50" we can safely assume BMG.

3 hours ago, Dranoel said:

A while back I found one of my first builds (#6, I think) in a local pawn shop. An NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup .45. I really didn't need another .45 and especially not one as specialized as this. But  I thought it would be cool to have one of my older builds, so I bought it. (for just a bit over what I sold it for 25 yrs ago) I was in a bit of a quandary over just what to do with it. Leave it as is, as a reminder of how far I've come? Update it to my current standards? Or do a total rebuild as something different. The slide/frame fit is still tight and smooth, but the trigger is a mess and the rear of the frame/grip safety needs a serious recontouring. 

When I finished the Legacy Twins (the pistol in my profile pic) I had an idea to build an AR15 and a knife to match that theme and have a complete set. But when I got around to getting parts I went off the rails and built something totally different. (The Perfect 10) Then decided that was not the rifle to match the theme of the Legacy Twins. But another idea started percolating to build a pistol and knife to match the carbon fiber theme of the Perfect 10. I had actually planned to buy another frame and slide, but then got to looking at this pistol and the brain started percolating a fresh pot.

I hadn't been thrilled with keeping the shroud as it just kept getting in the way of things, but getting rid of it meant I would have to weld up the holes in the dust cover and have the slide milled for iron sights. Unless.... What if I cut the shroud down and made it a simpler scope mount? I could Cerakote the frame and slide in black, (after making some other mods and updates) add a set of CF grips and wrap the mount in CF like I did the rifle stock and grips. And the plan was born.

Call me crazy, but wait til it's finished. ;)

Bianca 01.jpg

DSCN1420.JPG

Nice job on the mount! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

I'd had a Springfield TRP in .45ACP from the Springfield Custom Shop for some time and was ecstatic with the gun. It's still my primary CDP gun to this day - love it.

So some years ago I decided a new TRP was in my future. Having shot a ton of Open Class in USPSA in my early years the caliber that made sense to me at the time was .38 Super, so that's what I built.

The gun is, in a word, epic. I mean it shoots like nothing I've ever shot. Accurate as all get out. Tight. Runs like a top. I truly, truly love that gun. Hindsight being 20/20 though I have no idea why I didn't build that gun in 9mm. Or maybe even 9X21 so it could shoot standard 9X19 had I chose. Such an idiot. The gun would shoot exactly the same... I'd just have about 10,000 more rounds of ammo for it. 

It's not the worst buy because the gun is so awesome. But I sure wish I'd made one decision a tick differently.

J

On 2/15/2021 at 11:38 AM, caspian guy said:

Yea but any time it starts with 50 it's still a questionable decision 😄

I don’t know. I have 4 x .50’s. 😎

of course two are Hawkens, one Kentucky and a Wolf. All muzzle stuffers and a kick to shoot. 

753EDE01-D36B-42AE-A54A-0A8A95D5F705.jpeg

Edited by Modoc
Added photo

On 2/18/2021 at 8:22 PM, Kokeman said:

Last years "I'm bored and have a bunch of parts laying around build". I had most of the stuff laying around except the barrel and nut. I 3D printed the grip, magwell, and buffer plug.

20210218_191540small.jpg.e94d837432e23e72c800a3f033d6af13.jpg

Dammit!

Now I need a Han Solo 22lr space blaster...

• 1 month later...