Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription shooting glasses??

mniels

So there are TONS of options out there, so I was hoping to get some opinions.  I definitely want something impact rated, but maybe not as expensive as something like the HD Golds.  I have had in the past the type of glasses with a prescription insert behind interchangeable lenses, but I want to go the one lens route this time. The other is just too bulky and hard to clean. Likely something yellow tinted as that seems to be the best all around option.  If I can find a good deal I am not opposed to buying a couple of complete frames for different situations.

Also would be nice to find a company that would allow me to use my vision insurance benefits.  I went to the eye doc today for an updated prescription, so I am ready to order something.  Seems like none of the eye care stores carry anything, at least no local to me.

Remember the issue is really the prescription. You can get many types of sunglasses and safety glasses with prescription.

But the prescription itself has to be tailored to shooting.  In your area ask around for a good doc who works with shooters on their prescriptions. It really helps.

...then later get a carry optics like everyone else with bad eyesight...:)

Edited by Zincwarrior

57 minutes ago, Zincwarrior said:

Remember the issue is really the prescription. You can get many types of sunglasses and safety glasses with prescription.

But the prescription itself has to be tailored to shooting.  In your area ask around for a good doc who works with shooters on their prescriptions. It really helps.

...then later get a carry optics like everyone else with bad eyesight...:)

I am actually shooting CO, my issue is with astigmatism. I took my slide and optic in with me when I got my prescription. So not a focus distance issue for me. 

• 6 months later...

Without any doubt...Hunters HD Gold.  They are extremely knowledgeable on all the options available.   Depending on your specific needs/wants (I.E.: bi-focal, reverse bi-focal, progressive, single vision, etc...), they will guide you accordingly.   Give them a call when you are available and you won't be sorry. 

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!

😎

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Have been using decot hy-wynd for years shooting trap and skeet- have several different color lenses. Try them you will like them. They have a booth at most major shoots so you can look at the different colors and polarized vs non. Their frames are cool also.

• 1 year later...

I have worn glasses and contact forever.   20/100 and 20/200.  Correctable to 20/15.

First and foremost:

1. safety lens-very common these days.

2. quality of glass.  I have some lens from national stores, Costco, etc.  The best lens came from Germany.  They glass (even if plastic) was superior.  Same script.  It is easy to see the difference.

3. I have a pair of hunter's gold.  I use them most frequently as opposed to Rudy or others.

4. Determine if you require single, bi, or progressives lens.  It can make a huge difference.

Most of my friends switch glasses for shooting e.g. can not read the writing but the target is in focus or the front sight is in focus.

Quality glass is key then coating.  Look at Pilla is money is no object.  Those shotgun shooters are serious!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hunters HD, they just work, excellent service. Plus they support the sport.  They'll send you 3 or 4 sample frames that you choose, you try them on, see which one's you like, mark the lens and then send them in to get your prescription filled.  Easy and quick process.

Johnny

• 3 months later...

hello I ordered the RX insert and a lens at Pilla but haven't heard from them. Contacted them a day ago but nothing. Anyone in the conus know what happened? Should I call my bank and ask them to cancel the payment?

I was really hoping to use the RX for my bad eyes. 

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.54.49 AM.png

I ran my buddy's Hunters Gold for a few matches, I didn't think HD was an actual thing when it came to safety glasses of any type, but I ended up sticking with my military issues Wyle X's and Oakley's simply based on the cost.  The image sharpness was the one thing I was missing the most from the HG's that not even my Oakley's Prisms couldn't even get close to.  

1 minute ago, bcane98 said:

The image sharpness was the one thing I was missing the most from the HG's that not even my Oakley's Prisms couldn't even get close to.  

HHDG put their lenses in my Oakley's. One in a pair of Oakley Turbine (Gold lens) and another in Oakley Holbrook (Blue). I'm very happy with both.