Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Starline Brass sticking to powder through expanders (PTX and Mini Mr.Bullet Feeder)

mpmo

Not having any issues with clean 1-5x shot Starline 9mm brass.  But when I try to use new brass, it requires so much force to release it from the Mini Mr. Bullet feeder powder through expander that it practically needs two hands.  Hornady LNL for reference.  Same thing happens with the Hornady PTX.  With the PTX, I went to great lenghs to polish it to a mirror finish and that didn't work.  I assume the results will be the same if I was to try that on the MBF.

I tried washing a couple batches of shot brass in the ultrasonic cleaner and then used the dirty water to ultrasonic clean the new brass thinking that might clean off what ever coating they use and possibly put a bit of carbon on them.  Didn't work.  

Since it is not an issue with anything but new brass, I'm not thinking any hardware changes are warranted.  

I don't have a tumbler, but if I have to buy one to try something with that, I can find a cheap one, or make one.  

Any ideas for me?

13 hours ago, AHI said:

This is normal. Starline use to have a message stating this. Lube is your friend .weather it be tumbling or spraying Hornady one shot on the cases is up to you.

The problem with One Shot is you have to get it inside the case mouth to help with the expander/funnel sticking.  Since what I load most is 9mm major, I'm afraid of setback.

For my twice fired cases I do the following.  I drop them into media and run for 30-45 minutes just to get most of the dirt off.  The I put them in a container and spray One Shot one them and shake.  At the end of the shaking most of the cases are mouth up.  I spray and shake again.  Then they go into the case feeder.  I run the press with only the sizing/decapping die and the Redding treated two-step expander.  When all the cases have gone through I drop them into media and polish for at least three hours.  That gets all the lube off and shines up the cases.  Then they go back to the machine for reloading.  The sizer and expander are removed and the rest of the dies are installed.  The MBF expander/funnel does not stick and the cases sail through the reloader.  This has three advantages.  First, everything is so smooth the consistency of the reloads is improved.  Second, because of smoothness there is little to cause grains of powder to jump out of the case when the shell plate rotates or you unstick the funnel.  I load 10.2 grains of SWMP for 9mm major and I now get virtually no spilling.  Third, my elbow is spared.  Without this process I can only get through 100 cases before my elbow is so sore I cannot continue.  With it I reload 300-500 at a time without pain.

16 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

You might try chamfering the case mouth ID.  The inside corner on new cases will sometimes cause this.

This^^^^ that sharp edge hangs up on the expander. You will notice brass shavings under that stage if you do enough of them. Lube may or may not help. 

Load new starline in 38 sc, lube with your favorite. Never had any problems, new or old. Never cleaned new brass. Put about 300-400 in a Tupperware tub and shake, most of the brass will stand up, mouth side up, lube then shake. As far as set back and primer contamination. I primed several cases and filled up the case with Walmart silicone spray and some with Dillion lube. Let sit for a day, then dump out any remaining liquid. Let dry for another day then load. No setback no ignition problems, shot like normal. Did not try with one shot, yet. 171pf. 

7 hours ago, zzt said:

The problem with One Shot is you have to get it inside the case mouth to help with the expander/funnel sticking.  Since what I load most is 9mm major, I'm afraid of setback.

For my twice fired cases I do the following.  I drop them into media and run for 30-45 minutes just to get most of the dirt off.  The I put them in a container and spray One Shot one them and shake.  At the end of the shaking most of the cases are mouth up.  I spray and shake again.  Then they go into the case feeder.  I run the press with only the sizing/decapping die and the Redding treated two-step expander.  When all the cases have gone through I drop them into media and polish for at least three hours.  That gets all the lube off and shines up the cases.  Then they go back to the machine for reloading.  The sizer and expander are removed and the rest of the dies are installed.  The MBF expander/funnel does not stick and the cases sail through the reloader.  This has three advantages.  First, everything is so smooth the consistency of the reloads is improved.  Second, because of smoothness there is little to cause grains of powder to jump out of the case when the shell plate rotates or you unstick the funnel.  I load 10.2 grains of SWMP for 9mm major and I now get virtually no spilling.  Third, my elbow is spared.  Without this process I can only get through 100 cases before my elbow is so sore I cannot continue.  With it I reload 300-500 at a time without pain.

With all due respect...

bitmoji-20170607070604.png

Ok, I did both.  Sprayed a bit of one shot, then tumbled with corn husk media for 1/2 hour.  Works like a charm!  You all are awesome!  I really appreciate the help.