Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to start competing in Carry optics. Questions about using my g19 vs a glock 34

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys, so I am kinda torn in deciding what my next moves are gonna be. My next gun purchase is most likely gonna be a tikka t3x to start some long range shooting. I am also wanting to start competing in Carry optics. The only competition I have done is a 3 gun league that is more or less for practice but I do pretty well and it is extremely fun.

I am wanting a glock 34 mos but in the mean time I have a glock 19 with johnny glock trigger, supressor sights, vortex venom, oem extended slide stop lever, and tlr8a(that would be removed for competition). I am debating on whether I should purchase a red hill tactical holster, Boss hanger, DAA belt and mag holders, and start competing with my 19 or if I should just wait until I can get the glock 34 going. I figure if I do start with my 19 all I would need is a new red hill holster for the 34 so the only extra spending would be buying a second comp holster. I want to start competing this summer but if my next gun is gonna be the tikka, it will prolly be the next summer after that before I can afford the glock 34 ss I will need a scope for the tikka also.

So basically I'm looking for opinions, is it worth my while getting started with the glock 19 or am I just gonna get totally smoked? I care more about having fun then actually placing but it would be nice to not come in last. I'm a pretty decent shot but I have never actually competed so I don't expect to be amazing in the beginning. If yall think I should start is there anything else you'd recommend running on my 19?

What mag extensions would be under 140mm on a 19 and give me the most capacity. I have had trouble figuring this out as most info is related to the the 34 and its 17rd mags.

I appreciate any and all advice you guys might have for me!

I would recommend getting the holster  for the 34 now. It will also work fine for the G19 so you only need to buy it once.  I would also recommend buying full size G17 mags and putting extensions as needed. You will probably only need two to start, and keep the rest of the mags stock with 17 rounds. They will also work fine with the G19. That should save you some money in the long run. 

Hello: Use the 19 to get you started in Carry optics. Buy some Glock 17 magazines like the Magpul 21 round ones. Get a Holster for a Glock 34 since it will fit a Glock 19 as well. Safariland 771 or 773's will work fine and a Shooters Connection belt. The 19 will do fine and will take you as far as you want to go. Thanks, Eric

@Bunnies4r5

It's been my experience, shooting identical pistols with the exception of slide length (P-10F, P-10C), that shorter slides are easier to control in recoil.

I see no point to a G34 in Carry Optics.  Its longer sight radius is irrelevant and I find the shorter slides to be faster to recover from recoil and less apt to dive when the slide goes into battery.  It's simple physics: the slide is both lighter and has a shorter moment arm from the grip.

3 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

@Bunnies4r5

It's been my experience, shooting identical pistols with the exception of slide length (P-10F, P-10C), that shorter slides are easier to control in recoil.

I see no point to a G34 in Carry Optics.  Its longer sight radius is irrelevant and I find the shorter slides to be faster to recover from recoil and less apt to dive when the slide goes into battery.  It's simple physics: the slide is both lighter and has a shorter moment arm from the grip.

I think the grip length will be more important than slide length. Although it may not be much of an issue if you use full size / extended magazines. 

8 hours ago, Cuz said:

I think the grip length will be more important than slide length. Although it may not be much of an issue if you use full size / extended magazines. 

Agreed.  Mongo hands may have some pinching issues with the 19 grip.  That's why I think guns like the G45 are ideal.

Awesome guys. I really appreciate the feed back. With the g17 mags, which mag extensions will keep it within the 140mm? I'm looking at the taran tactical +5/6 rounders and their site specifically states they fit with g17 mags. any other brand I should look at?

Also I am looking at the red hill tactical holster, do we know for sure the g34 one will fit the g19? I figure it would since the frame profile is basically the same as far as what touches the holster. Does that mean one for a g19 would also fit the 34 or is the front of the g19 holster closed making it too small for the 34.

Thanks for all the feedback, I am def gonna get started competing with my g19, are there any other upgrades you guys would recommend? Would a tungsten guide rod be worthwhile or is that just some glockstore snake oil?

4 minutes ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

Awesome guys. I really appreciate the feed back. With the g17 mags, which mag extensions will keep it within the 140mm? I'm looking at the taran tactical +5/6 rounders and their site specifically states they fit with g17 mags. any other brand I should look at?

Also I am looking at the red hill tactical holster, do we know for sure the g34 one will fit the g19? I figure it would since the frame profile is basically the same as far as what touches the holster. Does that mean one for a g19 would also fit the 34 or is the front of the g19 holster closed making it too small for the 34.

Thanks for all the feedback, I am def gonna get started competing with my g19, are there any other upgrades you guys would recommend? Would a tungsten guide rod be worthwhile or is that just some glockstore snake oil?

1. The TTI +5/6 will work great for the G17 mags.

2. A G34 holster will work for a G19 and even a G17. A G19 holster will not work for the other guns if the muzzle end is closed off.

Edited by Mike L.

Hello: The G34 holster will work for sure. I have been using G34 holsters for about 10 years or so for 19, 17 and 34's. Use the Magpul 21 round mags since they are very cheap and work great. The long magazines will also give you a longer grip length so you can get that little finger a place to land. I have lots of Glock extensions and my favorite ones are the Zev(or clone) and the Arredondo. I have a habit of cleaning mags after they touch the ground. Thanks, Eric

I have Arredondo extensions too.  For non-metal parts, they are very durable.  Bonus - if for some reason they don't quite fit a magwell, it is very easy to get out the Dremel or sandpaper and make things work. 

I have a 34 mos that was my gun pistol but I have since put in a dot and use it for CO. Honestly, I would get a g45 mos if it will strictly be for CO as like others have mentioned you don't need the longer sight radius. But if the 19 fits your hand, just use that.

For mags, I mostly run the 21 round pmags as I got them cheap when they came out. I also have dawson extensions on some of my mags but the extension is the cost of 2 of the pmags.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Bunnies4r5 said:

The Taran extensions are nice and will do the job.  Henning Group also makes great extensions too.  If you want to go cheap I've had good luck with the Strike Industries extensions.  All will fit the 140mm gauge on Glock 17rd mags.

A G19 will fit most G34 holsters but if you can get a G19 holster with an open end you can put a G34 in it.  I've done both depending on the setup I'm running. 

My experience is that my G34 shoots flatter than my G19 or G45 and the only upgrades I find to be worth the cost are a lighter connecter and striker spring.  I've run the gamut of upgrades including a very expensive custom trigger and either found the benefit insignificant relative to the cost or removed them for reliability issues.  

You can never go wrong with tarans. I used those and zevs. I just like the way the zevs looked and the weight but its all pretty much preference at that point. If youre looking for mags etc makes some great mags as well. As others have said get g17 mags and you'll be good to go

What did I see, 12.30 oz slide G19, 12.70 G17, 13.30 oz G34 all Gen 4's.

I've run all 3 in CO.  At my skill level the difference is too subtle for me to feel, I just shoot the 34 better.

The 34 will have a little less recoil and would be better for reloads, which are minimal in CO. If you're just wanting to have fun then just shoot the 19 and get a 34 holster incase you ever upgrade.