Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first PCC

Looking for my 1st PCC.  Would love a JP, but the $$ is a bit much.  No competitions at this point.

Looking at Ruger PC9 Chassis or maybe CZ.  

LGS has an Andersen Arms, never heard of them.  

Also saw a Christensen Arms, but that was JP money.

Thoughts?

One of my shooting buddies shoots 3 gun and USPSA with a Ruger PCC.  Be is going to build an SR9 for no other reason than the Ruger is a PITA to disassemble and clean.

Another shooting buddy has two CZs and loves them.  I don't know what your budget is but you can assemble a first rate AR9 for under $1000.

Take a look at the Just Right Carbine.  I’ve been running one in IDPA this year, and have been very happy with it.  They start at around $600.  They use AR buffer tubes, butt stocks, triggers and hand guards, and Glock magazines.  Mine’s run 100%.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:20 AM, zzt said:

.........for no other reason than the Ruger is a PITA to disassemble and clean.

Really?  I have a Ruger PC Carbine and find it quite simple and straightforward to strip and clean.  The takedown feature makes cleaning the barrel super easy and stripping the receiver only requires one allen key and a punch and you could use the allen key as a punch if you want to. 

18 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Really?  I have a Ruger PC Carbine and find it quite simple and straightforward to strip and clean.  The takedown feature makes cleaning the barrel super easy and stripping the receiver only requires one allen key and a punch and you could use the allen key as a punch if you want to. 

The barrel is easy.  The rest is a royal PITA.   I have cleaned mine probably 100+ times and dread it each time.   The breach face pines, extractor pins, cleaning the receiver insides and then the bottom of bolt channels.   I still enjoy the Ruger PCC, but don't enjoy cleaning it;

I got a CZ, the trigger sucks really bad, I’ll probably order a Timney drop in next year, other than that it is stupid accurate imho, and has been flawless with magpul mags and 124 blue bullets, but if I was buying today I’d get a JP, buy once cry once. 

On 12/14/2020 at 10:57 PM, Diver123 said:

Get a leadstar! 

Mine was built from a matched LeadStar upper and lower.  

Very tight tolerances across the entire rifle, specifically the trigger locator pins.  Never had to get the "linked" ones as both of the pins have never moved.

BC

Blue_Carbine2.jpg

Edited by BillChunn

The question is answered best with another question.  How many PCC's do you want?  If the answer is 1 then buy a JP.   If the answer is 2 then buy something else and then you will buy the JP.

I have had mine for over a year and it has NEVER failed in any way.  I have done some sample loads running around 550 fps and still no failure.  The trigger is awesome, the short stroke bolt is super fast and it is nice and light.  

My suggestion is the buy the right one first, you will save lots of money in the long run and it will leave room in the safe for your next purchase.

Good Luck

12 minutes ago, p51bird said:

The question is answered best with another question.  How many PCC's do you want?  If the answer is 1 then buy a JP.   If the answer is 2 then buy something else and then you will buy the JP.

I have had mine for over a year and it has NEVER failed in any way.  I have done some sample loads running around 550 fps and still no failure.  The trigger is awesome, the short stroke bolt is super fast and it is nice and light.  

My suggestion is the buy the right one first, you will save lots of money in the long run and it will leave room in the safe for your next purchase.

Good Luck

I agree with above about buy once, cry once.  I'm not saying they're junk by any means, but there's other options other than a JP...  I specifically don't use a JP because they aren't lefty friendly.  Max doesn't use one either.  

p51, welcome to Enos Forums! 

19 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

JP for sure!

+1. I have 2 GMR-15s. I thought I wanted to switch to a MPX but I like the reliability of the JP. I am not trying to start an argument but I had a Gen 2 and it drove me crazy how inconsistent it was. I do want to try the Gen 3 for fun though.

2 hours ago, BiggMike said:

+1. I have 2 GMR-15s. I thought I wanted to switch to a MPX but I like the reliability of the JP. I am not trying to start an argument but I had a Gen 2 and it drove me crazy how inconsistent it was. I do want to try the Gen 3 for fun though.

If your setup works, I wouldn't even consider switching.  I have Gen 3s and they're very good.  But! I'd prefer to have less maintenance/parts to clean like on an AR blowback platform.   Doing gun surgery on the MPX is annoying.   

4 hours ago, scooterj said:

If you know anything about precision rifle, you know MPA. 

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ar9-pcc-pistol-caliber-carbine/

MPA is great in bolt rifle land, but that PCC looks a lot like a company swerving out of their lane to try to snag some easy market share. No $1500 gun should come with UTG parts and not even list the trigger being used.

4 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

MPA is great in bolt rifle land, but that PCC looks a lot like a company swerving out of their lane to try to snag some easy market share. No $1500 gun should come with UTG parts and not even list the trigger being used.

Milspec trigger -  most will change the trigger to what they prefer, so this keeps the price down and there are no UTG parts. Thet are MI. 

On 12/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, Bdh821 said:

I agree with above about buy once, cry once.  I'm not saying they're junk by any means, but there's other options other than a JP...  I specifically don't use a JP because they aren't lefty friendly.  Max doesn't use one either.  

p51, welcome to Enos Forums! 

What does Max use?

On 12/14/2020 at 10:11 PM, JNo said:

Thanks all. 

Still unsure, thinking I may end up with a JP--trying to convince myself to get something different.

Ever hear the comment  "buy once, cry once"?  If you want a JP bite the bullet (how's that for an appropriate cliche?) and get one.  You will never regret owning one but will always wonder what you missed if you don't.   

My first PCC was a Ruger PC Carbine.  I really like it, still have it, and never regretted the purchase but a bit later I bought a JP GMR15 and the difference is dramatic.  Yeah, the JP seems expensive and, compared to a $500 PCC it is, but compared to a $3500 Wilson or Ed Brown 1911, it's a gift.