Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&w Once Fired Brass

revchuck

I have a bunch of Speer brass. I seem to have the problem with decapping them. The spent primer doesn't always pop free. So I end up reseat the spent primer. I use a 650 XL with all Dillon dies. I only have this happen with Speer brass.

As for the rest......I've used them all. No problems with any of them.

The best brass for 40? Whatever's cheapest.. I'll shoot anything no problems. I'm getting Speer Nickle free at the range by the gallons.

The once fired Speer caused me some problems at first. Adjusting the decapper and smoothing the stem helpped a lot, before that it would pull the primer back up and get crushed by the swagger (in a 1050). Something to do the the primers they use (Dillon said), after that, you're good to go..

ive never had any problems with speer nickle brass, but i like winchester brass better than nickle cases.

the speer seem to be good brass nonetheless.

PMC seem to have a high number of bulged brass compared to the other brands.

My vote goes to Remington only because that's what I'm using and I've got some that are on their 11 loading. Besides a few scratches on the headstamp, they look just like the once-fireds that I have yet to load.

Like some of the others, I had some intermittent problems decapping speer brass in the past.

Edited by al503

I won't load 40 with PMC. I have seen their factory ammo blow out the case.

"FEDERAL" marked brass is good (which is what brassman seems to have). But, the "F C" marked stuff goes in the trash with the PMC.

Speer always seemed a bit weird around the primer pocket.

I have used tons of Winchester.

I don't get much Remington, but I haven't noticed anything with the few that make it my way.

I never have used nickle in any brand.

Loading Minor...I don't sweat any of this as much.

For brass that is once fired, it gets loaded and left at the range.

I did an experiment once. Bought 50 rds of PMC and Fed American Eagle. Fired, collected, cleaned, roll sized and reloaded. After 10 times w/o a separation, crack or FTF / FTE, I gave up.

I like Remington nickel.

I've had problems with extractor groove expansion in factory once fired Winchester - jams in my shell plate. I've heard from one or two others who had the same problem, but it doesn't seen to be universal. Perhaps there's something screwy with the chambers in our guns, but, if so, it only affects Winchester brass.

Being slightly more than a little bit compulsive, I like sorting my brass, but, for our purposes (IPSC/IDPA/Steel) it's probably true that it doesn't practically affect accuracy or reliability.

• 3 months later...

For practice, I shoot everything.... but I cull my Winchester to use for matches. The only reason is for consistancy, particularly at the chrono. I load to 170 pf and in the past have had too many instances of almost going minor (only two, but that was two too many.)

I find that confidence in my ammo on match day is one more thing I don't have to worry about.

Shoot 'em til they crack and if you find a cracked one loaded in your bag.... shoot it and leave it :D

JMHO

dj

Edited by dajarrel

winchester is my favorite. CCI/Speer second nickel and brass. RP or remington third

Federal and PMC after that. will reload it and shoot it all as long as its not overly bulged or any other defects.

no problems with CCI/Speer primers using my Lee sizer/decapper. keep it adjusted so it nearly touches the shell plate. S&B primers on the other hand can be a pain. some Speer brass seems to have a ring around the primer as you deprime it comes out and will leave a ledge.