Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open - first open gun

unisonicz

Evening! Been a lurker here for bit and figured I would make a post. (Just excited) :) Picked up my first open from a local gun club member, CK Arms Thunder in 38sc  3 poppel and 2 port cheely ti comp.. I had been shooting a glock 19.5 in carry optics with an SRO. What a difference! Gun came with 11lbs or sr7625 so I am using that up. Current load is 7.1gn sr7625, rushmore 125gn .355 coated, 1.225 oal, 168-170pf. Sorry, i know this probably does not belong here, just having a blast, literally and figuratively:Dvz1Af0a.jpgw01tkL1.jpg

Edited by unisonicz

24 minutes ago, unisonicz said:

Evening! Been a lurker here for bit and figured I would make a post. (Just excited) :) Picked up my first open from a local gun club member, CK Arms Thunder in 38sc  3 poppel and 2 port cheely ti comp.. I had been shooting a glock 19.5 in carry optics with an SRO. What a difference! Gun came with 11lbs or sr7625 so I am using that up. Current load is 7.1gn sr7625, rushmore 125gn .355 coated, 1.225 oal, 168-170pf. Sorry, i know this probably does not belong here, just having a blast, literally and figuratively:Dvz1Af0a.jpgw01tkL1.jpg

I like that magwell. Who makes it?

Watch your comp to make sure you don’t get lead build up. I am like you and recently jumped into open with a similar setup. I used coated bullets for a while, then switched to Everglades 124gr HP Version 2’s. They are awesome, and not much more in price. 

My gun is 9mm Major, so your gun may not burn the coated bullets as bad. I am seriously addicted to open now, and it’s been fun learning the gun and making different loads to chase the predictable Red dot movement.  

Have fun!

Ethan 

Bro, really happy for you. I agree with the others, I have shot every division and I still think Open is the best. I like to change up sometimes and play in other divisions but I always go back to my love...Open!

7 hours ago, Eman said:

Watch your comp to make sure you don’t get lead build up. I am like you and recently jumped into open with a similar setup. I used coated bullets for a while, then switched to Everglades 124gr HP Version 2’s. They are awesome, and not much more in price. 

My gun is 9mm Major, so your gun may not burn the coated bullets as bad. I am seriously addicted to open now, and it’s been fun learning the gun and making different loads to chase the predictable Red dot movement.  

Have fun!

Ethan 

just use an ultrasonic cleaner on the comp. you wont ever worry about anything on it again. I shoot blues and i can run mine hard and just pop it in the ultrasonic cleaner for 16 mins and it will come out so clean you would think it came straight from the factory

Edited by AverageJoeShooting
changed word

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

just use an ultrasonic cleaner on the comp. you wont ever worry about anything on it again. I shoot blues and i can run mine hard and just pop it in the ultrasonic cleaner for 16 mins and it will come out so clean you would think it came straight from the factory

That is great advice! What brand of ultrasonic cleaner do you have? I am going to buy one. Do you add anything to the water when you clean your gun parts? 

10 hours ago, unisonicz said:

Evening! Been a lurker here for bit and figured I would make a post. (Just excited) :) Picked up my first open from a local gun club member, CK Arms Thunder in 38sc

Dude, welcome to the most exciting division. You will not regret your decision and have lot's of fun along the way. Ton of great advice on this message board so don't be afraid to ask as many questions that may come to mind. Hope to compete with you somewhere down the line.

Welcome to the dark side!!  To keep your comp looking new, I use a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and peroxide. Let ur comp soak for about an hr, and clean out with a Qtip.  After ifs clean, rinse well with water and then dry.  After that, spray a little dillon case lube in there, and that will help for the next time. Just makensure to wear gloves and have good ventilation with the mixture as it can be a little toxic with lead.  I do this every time for mine, and they look brand new.

20200601_181704_compress94.jpg

28 minutes ago, NOSHMJ said:

To keep your comp looking new, I use a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and peroxide. Let ur comp soak for about an hr, and clean out with a Qtip.  After ifs clean, rinse well with water and then dry.  After that, spray a little dillon case lube in there, and that will help for the next time. Just makensure to wear gloves and have good ventilation with the mixture as it can be a little toxic with lead. 

OR, as Eman mentioned, spend very little more on JHP bullets,

and you can skip steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, above.     :)     :) 

This ^^^^.  After 10,000 rounds I could still see the machining marks on the bottom of the comp chambers.  I decided to clean it anyway.  I sprayed cleaning solvent into the comp and let it sit for a minute.  Then I wiped it out with large and small q-tips.  Spotless.  I hate cleaning crud out of comps, so there is no way I'll shoot anything other than JHP or CMJ out of my comp'd guns.  Plus, the JHPs are way more accurate than any of the poly coated bullets I've tried.

Funny because I shoot 9.8 grains of major pistol on a 125 grain DG bullet ( coated) and I get no leading at all. All I do is slap some cleaner in the comp at the same time I clean the gun, swap it with a Q-tip and call it a day.

Welcome to open. It's very addicting.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

This ^^^^.  After 10,000 rounds I could still see the machining marks on the bottom of the comp chambers.  I decided to clean it anyway.  I sprayed cleaning solvent into the comp and let it sit for a minute.  Then I wiped it out with large and small q-tips.  Spotless.  I hate cleaning crud out of comps, so there is no way I'll shoot anything other than JHP or CMJ out of my comp'd guns.  Plus, the JHPs are way more accurate than any of the poly coated bullets I've tried.

I would love to know your load! Is it a slow powder like SWMJ or a fast one? Compressed oal or stretched? Popple? 

9 minutes ago, Eman said:

I would love to know your load! Is it a slow powder like SWMJ or a fast one? Compressed oal or stretched? Popple? 

My major load is RP Headstamp cases, CCI 500, 10.2gr SW Major Pistol under a 115 Hornady HAP at 1.161" OAL.  169 PF; SD 5.9.  It is not compressed.

My guns have custom three chamber comps with two 3/16" poppels.

FWIW I'll be switching to AA7 when I finish the SWMP.  AA7 is more consistent lot to lot, plus it is made in the USA.  AA& and SWMP are the exact same formulation.

51 minutes ago, zzt said:

My major load is RP Headstamp cases, CCI 500, 10.2gr SW Major Pistol under a 115 Hornady HAP at 1.161" OAL.  169 PF; SD 5.9.  It is not compressed.

FWIW I'll be switching to AA7 when I finish the SWMP.  AA7 is more consistent lot to lot, plus it is made in the USA.  AA& and SWMP are the exact same formulation.

Thank you for that! I have SWMP and AA7 but I haven’t tried aa7. I am using up all my Silhouette, but I noticed a significant difference with having more gas in my dot movement with SWMP. I’ll be trying AA7 shortly. 

7 hours ago, Eman said:

That is great advice! What brand of ultrasonic cleaner do you have? I am going to buy one. Do you add anything to the water when you clean your gun parts? 

I use a H&B Luxuries cleaner.  Here it is on amazon for 88$ and with prime shipping: https://amzn.to/37KyC1t

I use simple green Pro HD degreaser and cleaner: here that is on amazon for 20$: https://amzn.to/2YK8oIn

make sure you use the pro hd version of the cleaner because thats the one that is safe to use on all metals. on the back of the gallon it will show you the dilution schedule for strong medium and weak mixes depending on how dirty your gun is.  I use the strong one which is one cup degreaser to three cups of water.  i do use warm tap water, but the cleaner will heat the water anyway.  i put my guns upper (slide, barrel, comp, pins) in the cleaner and set it for 2 8 mins sessions. When it comes out i just set them on paper towels and let them dry a few mins before rubbing them dry with the same paper towels

When it comes out it will be the cleanest thing you have ever seen like almost straight from the manufacturer.  BE VERY certain to oil it after because the combo of the degreaser and the ultrasonic cleaner will leech all the crud and carbon off, but also any trace of oil that has ever existed in those parts.  

ill say again BE SURE TO OIL THE PARTS AFTER YOU PULL THEM OUT. 

5 hours ago, zzt said:

what does accuracy even mean to an action shooter where 30 yards is a long shot?  i think the furthest ive ever shot was 2 steel plates at 50 yards and that was an uncommon match setup

3 hours ago, zzt said:

ive heard that theres a .1 difference between grain weights.  But yes AA7 is the tits and its the only thing ill use

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

what does accuracy even mean to an action shooter where 30 yards is a long shot?  i think the furthest ive ever shot was 2 steel plates at 50 yards and that was an uncommon match setup

Actually the longest shot I've seen was on poppers at 75 yards at an Area 8 championship match.  Often your stage plan means you want to shoot a popper hidden by a barrel with only the top of the head visible.  Or you have to shoot a swinger containing two no shoots completely covering two targets all the way up to the bottom of the A zone in the head, just like Sunday's shoot.

There is also more to life than USPSA.  At the last falling steel match there was a stage where all of the steel was narrow.  The smallest ten were one inch wide at 25 yards.  You need accuracy for that.  Fell free to shoot crappy bullets if you like.  I'll stick with the good stuff.

BTW, there is a one as in 1 grain difference in weights between lots of SWMP powder, not 0.1 as you suggest.