Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open - first open gun

unisonicz

Open is awesome, good move.  I moved there about 4 months ago and it’s totally changed the enjoyment of shooting.  In the past if I had a bad match shooting CO, I got pretty upset and frustrated.  In open, if I have a bad match, it’s still so much fun shooting that it doesn’t bother me near as much.  I’m super competitive but the enjoyment for me is another level.  I still don’t like to have a bad match but in open the fun level makes all the difference.  Wish I would have done it sooner! That’s the common phrase you hear from new open shooters, lol.

8 minutes ago, zzt said:

Actually the longest shot I've seen was on poppers at 75 yards at an Area 8 championship match.  Often your stage plan means you want to shoot a popper hidden by a barrel with only the top of the head visible.  Or you have to shoot a swinger containing two no shoots completely covering two targets all the way up to the bottom of the A zone in the head, just like Sunday's shoot.

There is also more to life than USPSA.  At the last falling steel match there was a stage where all of the steel was narrow.  The smallest ten were one inch wide at 25 yards.  You need accuracy for that.  Fell free to shoot crappy bullets if you like.  I'll stick with the good stuff.

BTW, there is a one as in 1 grain difference in weights between lots of SWMP powder, not 0.1 as you suggest.

thats why i said "ive heard" instead of stating it as fact. 

also more to life than uspsa...well thats just rubbish 🤣

also, i mean just about any pistol you pick up can shoot 75 yards with the accuracy of the bullet making no differance.  At a certain point it becomes about the accuracy of the shooter

2 minutes ago, PGGUNS said:

Open is awesome, good move.  I moved there about 4 months ago and it’s totally changed the enjoyment of shooting.  In the past if I had a bad match shooting CO, I got pretty upset and frustrated.  In open, if I have a bad match, it’s still so much fun shooting that it doesn’t bother me near as much.  I’m super competitive but the enjoyment for me is another level.  I still don’t like to have a bad match but in open the fun level makes all the difference.  Wish I would have done it sooner! That’s the common phrase you hear from new open shooters, lol.

couldnt have stated it better myself.

open is the funnest division for me

1 minute ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

lso, i mean just about any pistol you pick up can shoot 75 yards with the accuracy of the bullet making no differance.

Obviously you have not been around very long.

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

Obviously you have not been around very long.

i mean yes obviously an open gun makes it easier, but i mean if you already have the open gun and you already load your ammo and do all the other things to make its the softest shooting gun in the west then i dont see poly or jhp making such a huge difference in accuracy that it would ruin a long shot. if you miss it with poly you would probably miss it with jhp also

2 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

then i dont see poly or jhp making such a huge difference in accuracy that it would ruin a long shot

Since you only shoot at 30 yards farthest, you wouldn't know.  Remember, a 1" group at 25 yards does not mean a 2" group at 50, or a 4" at 100.  It is not linear.  Groups mushroom with distance.  The less precise the bullet, the larger the mushroom.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

Since you only shoot at 30 yards farthest, you wouldn't know.  Remember, a 1" group at 25 yards does not mean a 2" group at 50, or a 4" at 100.  It is not linear.  Groups mushroom with distance.  The less precise the bullet, the larger the mushroom.

if you have all the other factors if you miss it with poly switching to jhp isnt going to make you magically better.  its not going to suddenly make the targets fall over for you.

If your missing a shot that far its about your own accuracy not the bullet

Thanks for the info fellas. I will be switching to aa7 or world once I get through all of this sr7625. Now I have always shot 9mm minor with standard oal. I am loading out to 1.225 in my open gun and it has run perfect so far. What would be the benefit of shortening up the oal?

1 hour ago, unisonicz said:

Thanks for the info fellas. I will be switching to aa7 or world once I get through all of this sr7625. Now I have always shot 9mm minor with standard oal. I am loading out to 1.225 in my open gun and it has run perfect so far. What would be the benefit of shortening up the oal?

I wouldn't go shorter I've loaded to 1.240 1.235 and now 1.225 

I load .38 Super with Montana Gold 115 CMJ to 1.250 and  with Hornady 115 HAP to 1.240. If the OAL is not creating problems with the magazine, feeding or bullet hitting the lands, most .38 Supers can go to 1.260.