Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grip strength- captians of crush

verla

I use the captians of crush grip strength devices at least once daily. Use the trainer model- 100#- since I am older. Believe it helps my grip in both hands and thus my shooting- accuracy, double taps, draws, etc. You have to have a strong grip to shoot well and accurately, especially weak handed.

Try the captians of crush devices- they are only about $20 on amazon, and they come in different grip weights. 

I use them ever day. Squeeze them tight and hold it for a 5 count. Release then squeeze again for a 5 count. I do 5 reps then rest. Then do again. I try to simulate shooting. I release after a 5 count to simulate a reload. I shoot revolver. Works great. I use the 150 and 200. I do both hands. 

My hat is off to you.  I recently bought a set off a member here.  I think my heaviest one is 150, but the 100, 125 and 150 ones are worthless to me right now.  I can't quite get the 100 to touch, so I'm working with the 60 and 80 for now.  

I do the T and 100 for reps, 150 for max.  Not sure if I'll ever make it with the 200 or 250.  But that's probably not too bad considering I'm 56 and don't work out nearly as much as I used to.

Every time I've tried to strengthen my grip with these things, I end up messing up the tendons in my hand. The first time I used them I think I over did it, and ended up developing trigger finger. From that point on any time I try to work on grip strength I develop problems. I ended up getting surgery to repair the trigger finger last winter, but I am hesitant to use the things again, lest I mess something else up.

4 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Every time I've tried to strengthen my grip with these things, I end up messing up the tendons in my hand. The first time I used them I think I over did it, and ended up developing trigger finger. From that point on any time I try to work on grip strength I develop problems. I ended up getting surgery to repair the trigger finger last winter, but I am hesitant to use the things again, lest I mess something else up.

You've gotta counteract the CoC with those rubber bands and flexing your fingers out. Otherwise you end up with tendon issues.

I use the #1, do 10 reps and then hold closed for as long as I can. I then turn around and put a rubber band around fingers and flex them out for 15 reps and then hold open for as long as I can.

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

You've gotta counteract the CoC with those rubber bands and flexing your fingers out. Otherwise you end up with tendon issues.

This. Anytime you work a muscle group you need to also work the opposing muscle group. It can also help cut down the chances of tendonitis and muscle soreness to use an ice water bath for the hand/wrist/forearm after such exercises. Alternate cold immersion for twenty minutes and then out of the cold for twenty minutes. 

On 4/19/2020 at 2:02 PM, RangerTrace said:

My hat is off to you.  I recently bought a set off a member here.  I think my heaviest one is 150, but the 100, 125 and 150 ones are worthless to me right now.  I can't quite get the 100 to touch, so I'm working with the 60 and 80 for now.  

I was repping the 125 for 5 when I didn’t do any work. Could do 10 on it, or 3 on the 150, when I was using them regularly...

But I’m a heavy equipment mechanic by trade. My job itself involved lots of regular grip exercise.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 2:36 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

I use the #1, do 10 reps and then hold closed for as long as I can. I then turn around and put a rubber band around fingers and flex them out for 15 reps and then hold open for as long as I can.

What rubber bands are you talking about?  I would like to get some. 

25 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

What rubber bands are you talking about?  I would like to get some. 

I literally just grabbed some from my desk and use those and they work well.

I have a couple heavy duty ones that are probably 6 inches in diameter that I use by doubling up the single band on my hand.

It's probably not as nice as the actual bands but it works. Figured as my hands get stronger I'll just add more bands.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

On 4/20/2020 at 4:28 PM, Distant Thunder said:

This. Anytime you work a muscle group you need to also work the opposing muscle group. 

Awhile ago I bumped into several ortho guys who work in the same facility as I am and I asked this question. They thought I wasn't being serious to imply that overuse injury can be treated or prevented my exercising muscles that don't participate in a motion or tension generation that had caused said injury. 

3 hours ago, YVK said:

Awhile ago I bumped into several ortho guys who work in the same facility as I am and I asked this question. They thought I wasn't being serious to imply that overuse injury can be treated or prevented my exercising muscles that don't participate in a motion or tension generation that had caused said injury. 

Working the opposing muscle groups isn't so much to prevent tendonitis, but to keep the range of motion and joint stabilization. If you've ever seen someone who only does bench presses and/or push-ups without doing rowing type exercises you may notice them having a rounded shoulder posture. Have you seen some of the football or basketball players on "Dancing With The Stars" try to assume a proper posture in hold? It's funny to see, but they're so used to being in a crouched position it's hard for them to stand fully upright with their shoulders and head back because, to them, it just isn't natural. Believe me, we worked folks pretty diligently on this in Physical Therapy.

I’ve been using the Thera putty but didn’t think of doing reverse stretches. Just now laying my hand flat on the table and stretching my fingers upwards really feels good. Friend of mine ran backhoe for a long time and his hands and arms are curved inward from running the levers. I can see how that could happen slowly over time. 

• 2 years later...