Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 upgrades

I purchased a used 1050 a while back and am planning on getting some use out of it this spring. What are some of the mods available that are actually worth the money? Already planning on getting the level 10 toolhead spring and bushing.

What is everyone running?

I just bought the LVL 10 enhanced index spring kit. I have had stock springs weaken or break. 
the kit seems pretty robust but time will tell if it was worth it. 

I also picked up their primer case hold down die. Have not used it yet but for some reason I can’t get 30 carbine cases to seat right. If I adjust punch too much, it damages the case mouth. Sigh....

you also should consider one of the powder spill reduction devices. I like the Double alpha option for small cases. You would have to trim it for larger cases. Tried in 30-30 without trimming and it just pushed the case into a die.

inline fabrication makes a case feeder stop mechanism. It is fantastic but does NOT work with the aftermarket toolheads (the cam is too thick). 

I would not waste money on any of the index ball or bearing kit crap. Never found it to

be helpful. 

Good luck!

Edited by DJRyan13

13 hours ago, AHI said:

Go with the RI one. Multiple light sources all around the toolhead means no shadows. The ILF’s single light isn’t as even or helpful beyond looking at the powder charge.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:55 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Go with the RI one. Multiple light sources all around the toolhead means no shadows. The ILF’s single light isn’t as even or helpful beyond looking at the powder charge.

I agree, I'm a big Inline Fab Fan, but the RI Starlight is much nicer, throws a ton of light...

itnnLLgl.jpg

kI5T6kQl.jpg

Edited by 78Staff
pics

Spent primer tube.  Super cheap and easy to make yourself or not expensive to buy.

Magnet on the casefeed tube if you load range brass that has some of the hateful brass-plated steel cases mixed in.

Here's a few pics of my Whistler Inspection Camera setup, bought it on Amazon a couple years ago.  It's a hand held unit, and while the monitor disconnects from the handle and can connect with wifi, I found the video really grainy that way, so I left it connected.  I just have it velcro'd to the case feeder upright, then loop the cable around and aim down at the case mouth.  It works pretty well, but does kind get in the way if I need to access anything from the left side, ie easy to bump the cable and move the camera end.  The 1050 PM is pretty fool proof, so I may remove it.  Of course, I've been saying that for a year lol...

E2dKaKql.jpg

NNhiGsSl.jpg

K5rNv5Rl.jpg

wTFp8Pgl.jpg

lol yeah, the nice thing it's all self contained, don't need to have a spare tablet laying around or chase down a camera, etc.  And easy to remove if I actually needed to use it as an actual inspection camera/endoscope for something, just undo the velcro...  The current model is about $35 now on Amazon, so cheaper even than when I bought mine a few years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-WIC-5200-Wireless-Inspection-Camera/dp/B00AKTY9A8/

One thing to look for is the focal distance of the endoscope, some have very close focal distance, less than 2 inches, so the camera has to be almost in the case in order to see the powder.  Others like the Ilihome endoscope have much more range, 1.5" to 9".

https://www.amazon.com/ILIHOME-Semi-Rigid-Professional-Inspection-Rechargeable/dp/B07V4V7V5D/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I added an electronic case counter to one of my 1050s. It counts dropped cases. 

You can also set it to a number (say 100), remove the drop tube, drop into a bag or bucket, turn on the case feeder and it will run until it drop 100 cases exactly. Good if you are selling brass by quantity.

20200321_152038a.jpg

20200321_152038b.jpg

Edited by GDIS46

On 4/1/2020 at 9:32 AM, mvmojo said:

Could you post a picture on how your camera is mounted?

I’ll be installing an Amazon-sourced backup camera this weekend. $35 for camera, monitor, wiring. $7 for the wall adaptor to supply 12volts to it. 

Testing it on the bench, it looks very promising. This one came with a liscense plate mount, and features 6 bright LEDs I can aim into the shellplate, and should be able to trick into always being on. So I hopefully won’t need a starlight type system. :D

Edited by MemphisMechanic

6 hours ago, GDIS46 said:

I added an electronic case counter to one of my 1050s. It counts dropped cases. 

You can also set it to a number (say 100), remove the drop tube, drop into a bag or bucket, turn on the case feeder and it will run until it drop 100 cases exactly. Good if you are selling brass by quantity.

20200321_152038a.jpg

20200321_152038b.jpg

Who sells that nifty little product?

• 2 weeks later...