Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your next 1911 going to be?

bcp

My last 1911 was the Nighthawk Border Special, which is a carry gun for me.  I've been thinking about starting in SS but haven't made up my mind about what gun I will use.  I'm thinking it might be the gun I don't own yet...hah.  I've been looking at 1911 .40s from Atlas, Nighthawk, etc but no decisions yet.  It will be a govt frame size and setup for SS.

What's next on your list?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caliber is going to be a major (sorry, forgive the pun) factor. 

I have several 40 and 45 SS guns, my next one is a 9mm. In that market, the sky is the limit. In production guns, Dan Wesson is hard to beat.

Edited by Bigzeke
Added content

I have a couple of nice Limited .40s in my SVI and CK Arms sight tracker models.  I'm wanting a 1911 that can run the same loads as my limited guns.  I also like to buy quality and not have to buy/sell my way up the food chain.  So I'm looking at custom and semi-custom options.  

Edited by bcp

10 minutes ago, RGA said:

Kimber Stainless Target (I) .45

The 1911 I’ve carried the most is my Kimber Super Carry Pro.  I love the bobtail Commander models.  

I've also kind of been feeling the itch to branch out into single stack recently... I should probably shoot one of the .45s that I already own before jumping into a new purchase, but it's still something I've considered.

I recently discovered that even though Dan Wesson doesn't regularly stock any single-stack guns in .40, CZ Custom has an arrangement with them to build the occasional USPSA-optimized gun in .40. Seems like a good "semi-custom" option that won't break the bank as much as a complete custom build, so might go that route, eventually.

50 minutes ago, Steve133 said:

I've also kind of been feeling the itch to branch out into single stack recently... I should probably shoot one of the .45s that I already own before jumping into a new purchase, but it's still something I've considered.

I recently discovered that even though Dan Wesson doesn't regularly stock any single-stack guns in .40, CZ Custom has an arrangement with them to build the occasional USPSA-optimized gun in .40. Seems like a good "semi-custom" option that won't break the bank as much as a complete custom build, so might go that route, eventually.

That is my new SS blaster. Dan Wesson SSC in 40. It’s not perfect, but it’s one heck of a nice piece. Also, not easy to find.

I would be tempted (possibly) to do 9mm instead of .40 but I prefer major for scoring.  Maybe I should be one of those guys who just trains hard with minor and outshoots the other guys.  Then there's the whole battle of trying to get that 9mm 10 rounder to work right...ugh.

Of course, there's always room for another .45 in the house...

2 hours ago, belus said:

Or if anyone posts one of Don Golembieski's guns for sale.

I've yet to see one of the Kodiak Precision guns in person.  I haven't even seen the website before in searches for it.  Post a photo here if you have one of his guns.

4 hours ago, JD45 said:

Stainless Springfield Range officer. 

Or if not a similar Les Baer. 

There were many times I thought about a Les Baer...but I always end up going another direction.  I can't quite get there for some reason.  

I really liked the  Ruger 1911 in 9mm that I had for awhile.  It was the softest shooting 1911 I've used.  Might be something to consider for your wife.  It was a great pistol.  

I have 2 Sig 1911 Max’s I use in SS. One in 40 and one in 45. Decent guns for the money. The external extractor turns the traditionalists off but they run. Just sold a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. It was a little to fussy about ammo. A 9mm 1911 shoots great. May replace it with a Dan Wesson PM9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jc3257 said:

I have 2 Sig 1911 Max’s I use in SS. One in 40 and one in 45. Decent guns for the money. The external extractor turns the traditionalists off but they run. 

I have thought about the Sig Max 40 for SS.  Anything you don't like about it?