Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your next 1911 going to be?

bcp

4 hours ago, bcp said:

I have thought about the Sig Max 40 for SS.  Anything you don't like about it?

The only two things I don't like; it came as a series 80 and it does not fit in a standard 1911 holster. For my 40 I removed the Series 80 parts and installed a spacer. Did some trigger work on both and they have a crisp 2.5lb pull. The 45 I use for IDPA that still has the Series 80 parts is just a touch mushier than the 40. Sigs have a unique slide profile. I used a Bladetech OWB for a while with extra spacers. Then purchased a DAA PDR Pro II which worked great. Most recently I bought a GX Products holster for IDPA and it may be the best holster I own! Tempted to sell the DAA holster and order another GX Products holster for USPSA. http://gxproductsusa.com GX has a unique retention system for USPSA a great paddle system for IDPA. Best fit and finish of any kydex holster I have put my hands on.

I have had no problems with my Sig Max's except for some 40 ammo I loaded. It was not a gun problem but an ammo maker problem! Both guns have roughly 5,000 rounds through them. I would buy again. I thought about getting one in 9mm but can't find one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are the only 2 big complaints I had about my 1911 Max in 40. The series 80 and the slide profile/holster issue. I actually used a Glock 34 holster tightened up as tight as possible while waiting on my Red Hill Tactical holster to be made/delivered. Surprisingly, the Glock holster actually works well. I use it in both IDPA and USPSA, so the series 80 stuff has to stay.

The only other things (and they're purely personal preference) is that I prefer larger safeties, especially is shielded, and the trigger is too short for me. So, I'll probably upgrade to a medium or long flat trigger and some Atlas high ride shielded safeties.

Good feedback...thanks.  I've looked for a Max .40 but it sounds like I missed some closeouts.  If I get one, I will be interested to hear more about those trigger mods.  2.5# sounds great.  Agreed on the longer trigger...my preference as well.  

1 hour ago, bcp said:

Good feedback...thanks.  I've looked for a Max .40 but it sounds like I missed some closeouts.  If I get one, I will be interested to hear more about those trigger mods.  2.5# sounds great.  Agreed on the longer trigger...my preference as well.  

Honestly, watch Gunbroker. I got mine on there for $875. Most of the time you see them fro $1200-1400, but every once in a while a no reserve, penny auction starts up on one.

42 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

What caliber are you thinking, Mike?

45 this time. last build was a Foster race ready 9mm with a RIA build kit (everything but frame) that one turned out great had just enough material in all the right places to be able to get a perfect fit. 

2 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

45 this time. last build was a Foster race ready 9mm...

Did you post photos of that here?  Curious to see it.  Are the Fosters basically an over run of Caspian? 

15 hours ago, bcp said:

Are the Fosters basically an over run of Caspian? 

They're generally blems if I remember correctly.

I have a .40 SS project on a Foster frame that's been languishing. There's a 0.020" divot/flake missing from the front strap that made them sell it as a discount.  Since I really like the DS Perman grips on my SS it'll get covered up anyways.

16 hours ago, bcp said:

Did you post photos of that here?  Curious to see it.  Are the Fosters basically an over run of Caspian? 

they are Caspian blems, I'm not sure what the blems are on mine as I don't have any regular Caspian frames to compare them to. so far I have not seen anything obvious on mine. 

I don't have any finished picture because they are both still unfinished, I am just about finished blending the back of the slide and frame on the 45 and I can say that takes more paitence than I have for one sitting. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for final finishes, the frames are stainless (because they had a killer sale on stainless frames when I bought mine) everything else is Carbon steel. I'm torn between doing a cerakote job or just parkerizing the carbon steel and bead blasting the stainless. 

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

they are Caspian blems, I'm not sure what the blems are on mine as I don't have any regular Caspian frames to compare them to. so far I have not seen anything obvious on mine. 

I don't have any finished picture because they are both still unfinished, I am just about finished blending the back of the slide and frame on the 45 and I can say that takes more paitence than I have for one sitting. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for final finishes, the frames are stainless (because they had a killer sale on stainless frames when I bought mine) everything else is Carbon steel. I'm torn between doing a cerakote job or just parkerizing the carbon steel and bead blasting the stainless. 

I think a parkerized top over a bead blasted stainless frame would look absolutely killer. 

Currently working on a 2011 project in 9mm.  

STI grip that I stippled.  PT frame.  JEM slide.  Barrel is getting ordered soon and I'm not 100% on the maker yet.  Extreme internals.  

Next up will be a SS in either 9 or 38S.  I scored a great deal on a frame from another site and grabbed it.  It'll sit for a bit until I finish the 2011.  

My next 1911 is a Dan Wesson Valkyrie CCO in .45acp.  Obviously a carry gun.  It should be here by next weekend.

Also here by next weekend will also be a  Beretta 92 Brigadier via Wilson Combat.  This one will likely get a rail-mounted light and take over nightstand gun duty.

On order...and probably still 3.5 months away is a Wilson Combat EDC X9.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:40 PM, bcp said:

My last 1911 was the Nighthawk Border Special, which is a carry gun for me.  I've been thinking about starting in SS but haven't made up my mind about what gun I will use.  I'm thinking it might be the gun I don't own yet...hah.  I've been looking at 1911 .40s from Atlas, Nighthawk, etc but no decisions yet.  It will be a govt frame size and setup for SS.

What's next on your list?

I've had a hard time finding owner pics of Border Special those gems.  I understand they were an ode to Sheriff Jim Wilson.   It's a bobtailed frame, right ?

You will probably love the EDC X9.  I've had one for about 6 months and love it.  It's about the perfect grip contour for me.  Runs like a top and is very accurate and smooth shooting.  It's one of my favorite handguns.  

7 hours ago, bcp said:

Just took a comparison photo to show you the EDC X9 and Border Special.  Great guns both of them.  

IMG_9250.thumb.jpeg.9d091292b9b02ebe189dff7e0bc6f46b.jpeg

SWEET !!!!!

Thanks for the pics.   I like them both.

My EDC is also a non-rail version & gold bead sight like yours appears to be.  I figured the sight would be easily swapped to a fiber optic if for some reason I didn't like the gold bead.

Really looking forward to getting it.  So much to respect about those guns.  Reliability seems to be extremely high and owner satisfaction is, too.

Glad to hear you've been pleased with yours.

You should have no problem moving that sweet Nighthawk whenever you choose. 

Edited by DubfromGA

Kind of funny I went to all these links and found pictures of Glocks.lol this is the only 45 I have left, Springfield Armory, range officer compact 4 inch heavy bull barrel. It has a few extras like Magwell and stuff like that on it. Does anybody really shoot single stack anymore especially in USPSA?

20181114_171732_Burst01-1.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Kind of funny I went to all these links and found pictures of Glocks.lol this is the only 45 I have left, Springfield Armory, range officer compact 4 inch heavy bull barrel. It has a few extras like Magwell and stuff like that on it. Does anybody really shoot single stack anymore especially in USPSA?

20181114_171732_Burst01-1.jpg

Weight, size and other dimensions of that Springfield are almost identical to a gun that I'm waiting on now.....hoping to get the call from my ffl this week.  Looking forward to the easy to carry, accurate and dependable performance that our cco-sized guns can offer.   I really like the magwell mainspring housing, too.   I had  buddy scoff at my plans on adding one to my cco but avoiding them in my commanders.  He said it defeats the purpose.

In my hand....the lengthened backstrap surface area is perfect....especially if checkered.  I already use magazines with bump pads on them so mag seating is a breeze. 

Those RO Compacts are damn fine guns. Yours is set up even better.

As far as single stacks go... just took a mental inventory.  Currently have 15 centerfire handguns.  2 are wheelguns.  2 are double stack 9mm.  The rest are all single-stacked gats.  

I currently don't shoot any type of competitive stuff.   Hoping to start easing into getting some training courses and maybe join a local range with some fun league events.

I don't have a clue what type of guns are used in the various competition stuff.  I've got a pile to learn.  Feels kinda funny....51 years old and have been shooting handguns for 40 years.....yet I'm green as they come with the shooting sports....be they handgun, shotgun or 3-gun.  

It's something I'm looking forward to as I get older.....and hopefully have more free time.  Trying to get my reloading gear started off with a couple progressives for now.

3 hours ago, DubfromGA said:

Those RO Compacts are damn fine guns. Yours is set up even better.

Thank you, it is pretty sweet, and Alexander Magwell bring the back strap perfect to fit your hand. I also have three Wilson 7-round magazines that I carry with it. I think you will be very happy with yours.  I am with mine, the only thing I got this easier to carry is my Ruger LCR 357 Magnum but that's a pain in the butt to have to reload.

39 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Thank you, it is pretty sweet, and Alexander Magwell bring the back strap perfect to fit your hand. I also have three Wilson 7-round magazines that I carry with it. I think you will be very happy with yours.  I am with mine, the only thing I got this easier to carry is my Ruger LCR 357 Magnum but that's a pain in the butt to have to reload.

Make sure those first five rounds count. I agree the LCR is a nice carry option. I like mine ... all of them.