Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your next 1911 going to be?

bcp

On 3/14/2020 at 12:42 AM, perttime said:

Some have had concerns about the fit of barrel and link to the frame on Buls. Is yours OK?

its not just the Bul's  I have a Stainless 9mm Range Officer and a Ruger SR45, both guns lock up on the link not the barrel feet. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the process of ordering a Rogue Tactical custom 9mm setup for SS.  I will be going with their oversized barrel and bushing (written about here in their mini-forum), external extractor, black nitride finish, etc.  Not going to stroke it.  I was interested in the Chen magwell but it adds a lot of weight to the wrong end of the gun and he would have to take more weight off the slide...bad physics.  3 month backlog.  Eric is very easy to work with and he fully warranties the work.  I look forward to it.  

Edited by bcp

15 minutes ago, bcp said:

I'm in the process of ordering a Rogue Tactical custom 9mm setup for SS.  I will be going with their oversized barrel and bushing (written about here in their mini-forum), external extractor, black nitride finish, etc.  Not going to stroke it.  I was interested in the Chen magwell but it adds a lot of weight to the wrong end of the gun and he would have to take more weight off the slide...bad physics.  3 month backlog.  Eric is very easy to work with and he fully warranties the work.  I look forward to it.  

So we can expect pictures sometime in late June?

Hope so.  I thought about DLC coating but it is really backlogged and would add 2 months.  I do have a new PCC arriving tonight.  Photos and info on it soon.

You might have noticed I went from wanting .40 to 9mm for SS.   In talking to Eric, he said the orders have been 5 to 1 in favor of 9mm SS.  We talked a lot about it and I went with 9mm.  Oh, and I went with the Techwell TGO magwell instead of the Chen.  It will be my first experience with that magwell.  

On 3/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, Steve133 said:

I've also kind of been feeling the itch to branch out into single stack recently... I should probably shoot one of the .45s that I already own before jumping into a new purchase, but it's still something I've considered.

I recently discovered that even though Dan Wesson doesn't regularly stock any single-stack guns in .40, CZ Custom has an arrangement with them to build the occasional USPSA-optimized gun in .40. Seems like a good "semi-custom" option that won't break the bank as much as a complete custom build, so might go that route, eventually.

Steve, just saw this on gunbroker. 

https://www.gunsamerica.com/940747550/DAN-WESSON-SSC-SINGLE-STACK-CUSTO.htm

I think of getting a Springfield Range Officer 9MM with the fixed sights and rail: https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-9mm/

I like that it's carbon steel, single sided thumb safety, with a rail for a little added weight up front right under the barrel. I have been watch Hilton Yam 1911 Duty Tune DVDs' in preparation of a 1911 Build Class scheduled in May and he recommenced this pistol, but in 45ACP.

I've had two Springfield HC Ultra Compact frames that I want put a 3" to 3.5" slides on them chambered for 9x23.  I would try to have the sights part of the slide like SV's "Tiki" pistol.  These would make neat little pocket guns with power greater than a .357 magnum. Someday I'll be able to do it.

Rich

2 hours ago, RIIID said:

I've had two Springfield HC Ultra Compact frames that I want put a 3" to 3.5" slides on them chambered for 9x23.  I would try to have the sights part of the slide like SV's "Tiki" pistol.  These would make neat little pocket guns with power greater than a .357 magnum. Someday I'll be able to do it.

Rich

That would be pretty cool, I have thought about building a compact version of the Caspian HC frame, cut down to fit compact Tanfoglio magazines.  I think I would end up with a officers grip length and a 4in barrel for IWB carry.

My latest 1911 is a Custom built 9 mm and it runs like a sewing machine.  I'm lucky that my shooting buddy is a Top Quality Gunsmith.  He's built Race Guns and Competition pistols for some Top Shooters over the years and I wanted one before he decides to retire.  I had a quality 1911 in 45 acp....he used that frame and built the new upper slide into a 9 mm.  As for the components needed for the build I left that to his knowledge and experience.  Now I have two  1911's  that fit on one frame....oh.... and one of the first 5 shot groups out of the 9 was a ragged hole at 15 yards.

I picked up a 1911 in .40 off the classifieds here with enough mags, so I just had to add a holster and convert my racemasters to single stack. I was watching some videos on youtube and single stack looked like a lot of fun. I'm hoping to use this till I can eventually purchase and wait for a SVI dream.

Have a commander-length SVI 9mm 2011 on order to be built later this year. Will be something of an all purpose gun, since otherwise I shoot a Garthwaite Customized Colt Gold Cup NM 9mm in USPSA SS.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:31 AM, RIIID said:

Rich

We'd love to see you back in the game.