Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P CORE loaded indicator fouling optic sight

recoilchamp

I'm noticing the loaded chamber indicator hole on the back of the barrel on my M&P Core shoots out gas that leaves fouling and residue on the glass of my vortex venom optic. Anyone experiencing the same and have a solution or suggestions how to plug it? I have an apex match barrel in it, and as far as I can tell all aftermarket barrels include that hole.

Yes, I experience the same thing. I haven't seen any permanent fixes. My WAG for a "permanent fix" would be to drop some weld on it.

I chose to take a cue from the other optic shooters: clean it off during your make ready. Seems to work well.

I'd be interested in how often the cleaning is necessary and how bad it gets. I like the grip on the M&P and was considering getting one of the new CORE guns for optic in steel plate. Does it really need to be cleaned after every five shots?

On 1/28/2020 at 5:43 AM, midatlantic said:

I'd be interested in how often the cleaning is necessary and how bad it gets. I like the grip on the M&P and was considering getting one of the new CORE guns for optic in steel plate. Does it really need to be cleaned after every five shots?

LOL, definitely not after 5 rounds.

I guess it really boils down to individual tolerance and load (to an extent). Bare lead tends to smoke more and would probably make me want to clean the lens once it's too smokey for my tolerance level. I use coated bullets so the smoke level is lower.

I clean the lens at make ready more out of habit.

I have run a 6 stage match with no cleaning, but again, I tend to tolerate it since the dot (in my case a viper) is still visible along with the target. I suppose if you're the type who notices the tint of the lens and that serves as a big negative, it might get annoying after 5 rounds. Other than that, you'll be fine with a quick clean sometime while you're waiting to run a stage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I realize this post is 14 months old but............

I'm looking at a non ported C O R E.  Is this lens clouding a real problem?   Or just an aggravation to some.

Edited by Drillbit

My 2.0 CORE does the same thing and I find I have to wipe the lens off about every 100 rounds or so.  I'm shooting poly coated bullets and I guess plain lead would be a bit worse.  It's a nuisance but not a deal breaker by any means.  I haven't tried the duct tape or silicone seal suggestions but I may sometime in the future. 

7 hours ago, NoSteel said:

Allot of it is dependent on the type of powder you use.  I have run my SRO equipped M&P a 150rnd match with no wiping down in between.  N320 under 147gr Blue bullet.

I'm using Alliant Sport Pistol, which is supposed to be the "poor man's" N320, under a 125 gr Blue bullet and the lens of my Holosun HS 507c does fog up a bit after a bunch of shots.   

• 1 month later...

Not sure what I'm doing right. I've got a brand new 5" Core 2.0 with a Trijicon SRO mounted on it. The bottom frame of the lens is above the dreaded loaded chamber indicator hole. 400 rounds (and one match win) later, and the lens has no fouling whatsoever on it. 

After shooting a season with a Shadow 2 OR, I'm beginning to like this gun!

My FTP Alpha doesn't seem to gunk up nearly as fast on M&P 1.0. #2 as the Delta Point Pro does on M&P 1.0 #1.    5 stage matches are usually no problem on the DPP.   I usually don't clean it until I start dryfiring it and notice the gunk.   Apex barrels on both. 

Burning W231, which isn't known to be the cleanest stuff around.  

Edited by NETim

On 8/1/2021 at 10:58 AM, NETim said:

My FTP Alpha doesn't seem to gunk up nearly as fast on M&P 1.0. #2 as the Delta Point Pro does on M&P 1.0 #1.    5 stage matches are usually no problem on the DPP.   I usually don't clean it until I start dryfiring it and notice the gunk.   Apex barrels on both. 

Burning W231, which isn't known to be the cleanest stuff around.  

How are you mounting the FTP Alpha on the M&P? Adapter plate?