Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC only loads


Recommended Posts

I'm just getting into pcc and curious if anyone has  experimented with lighter weight bullets mainly 115's at around 1,200fps or 90's at around 1,500 fps and how they compare to say 125's or 147's which are the 2 standard bullets weight for minor out of a handgun.

I shoot uspsa and idpa so it needs to make a 135 power factor.

 

 

Link to post

So far I've tried 147, 124 and 95 gr projectiles.   For accuracy, the 95 gr RN lead bullets are great to 100 yards (under 1-3/4").  For load data, try some VV N-320 at a little over 4.0 gr.  I get consistent 138 PF loads.

 

This season I hope to give Power Pistol a try.  Per the forum, data should be similar to N-320.

Link to post
17 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

So far I've tried 147, 124 and 95 gr projectiles.   For accuracy, the 95 gr RN lead bullets are great to 100 yards (under 1-3/4").  For load data, try some VV N-320 at a little over 4.0 gr.  I get consistent 138 PF loads.

 

This season I hope to give Power Pistol a try.  Per the forum, data should be similar to N-320.

I'm useing sport pistol now which is supposed to be similar to n-320. 

I assume the 95 gr rn your useing is a coated bullets, any problems with the coating at higher velocity?

I have some 90 and 95 gr hp and fmj on order?

Link to post

I’m using MPX PCC 16” barrel

sport pistol 3.7gr

SNScastingbullet 125g

CCI 500 primers

OAL 1.15

PF 135

very soft shooting and accurate!

 

Edited by brytec
Link to post

I have done some similar testing. When I first got started in PCC my plan was to use my minor load which is a 147 plated Xtreme over 3.4 of N320 making about 134 PF.

 

I can't recall what that load was running out of my 16" Faxxon barrel, but  the recoil impulse was much more than I expected from a 9mm probably because of the reciprocating mass  and there was a lot of dot movement. After testing various weights I settled on a 115 plated with the same powder charge as for my 147 minor load. It makes about 1200 + change for around 140PF.   Felt recoil  and dot movement is much less and the dot settles quicker.

 

We're talking about 9mm here so it's not as if it was beating me to death, but I like the impulse of the 115 over a 147.

 

 


 

 

Link to post
7 hours ago, toothandnail said:

I think most PCC barrels are too slow a twist rate to get good stabilization on the heavy bullets, I have much better accuracy pushing 95's fast than any speed 147 or 124's
 

My JP GMR-13 definitely likes lighter bullets, particularly the 115s.  Much tighter groups.

 

Link to post

14.5" barrel with pinned comp - 115gr Xtreme or Berrys RN, 3.7gr e3, 138PF

5.5" barrel with pinned shroud (Taccom) - same but with 4.0gr e3, 138PF

MBX Pro Series with Short-reset kit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Link to post

5.25" Taccom barrel  & pinned shroud .. 3.8gr Sport Pistol.. 124gr bullet Everglades plated bullets .. 5 shot average - 1027fps  -  127.3 PF  ---  dot hardly moves... very accurate..

Link to post
20 hours ago, Chrisyoung said:

I'm useing sport pistol now which is supposed to be similar to n-320. 

I assume the 95 gr rn your useing is a coated bullets, any problems with the coating at higher velocity?

I have some 90 and 95 gr hp and fmj on order?

 

I’m finishing up a batch of Eggleston Bullets and so far no problems.

 

I did pickup some local bullets and hope they will be as good.

Link to post

115 everglades v2 jhp over 4.5 gr of WSF. 130-132 PF from a 14.5  SI barrel. Thay loads consistently shoots better than I can with a 2moa dot. WSF is cheap and I can find it anywhere and no way I will ever go back to coated bullets and cleaning comps after shooting jhp. Everglades are cheaper than most people realize if you buy 4k at a time.

Link to post

115s @ 950 and 1050, and 124s @ 1000 work fine in a Leadstar Prime.  I have some 105 poly coated TC bullets on the way to try.  However, I only going to use them when I swap the Leadstar barrel for a Wiland USA.  I really don't like the heavier bullets for anything, unless I'm trying to knock down badly calibrated steel.

Link to post

A question for you guys....

 

I shoot a Canik TP9SFX modded with a Glock tungsten recoil spring guide and a 15 pound Glock recoil spring in USPSA using 3.1 gr of Sport Pistol and a 147 grn Berry fmj profile bullet. In my old man hands it seems that the 147 grn load has less "snap" in my pistol. I have fired this same load in my modded Stag 9mm PCC rifle and it cycles great.

 

My question is regarding perceived recoil in the rifles. Are you folks of the opinion that the lighter weight bullets "recoil" less in the rifles than the heavier bullets? Lets face it, none of them "kick" but I'm referring to making the dot jump around more. I'm going to move towards using the rifle as the old man shakes are starting to take over a bit and I can still shoot the rifle pretty well.

 

If someone has a good load with a 115, 125 or 135 grain bullet with sport pistol, I'd love to hear it.

 

Thanks for your replies,

 

Copterdrvr

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, copterdrvr said:

A question for you guys....

 

I shoot a Canik TP9SFX modded with a Glock tungsten recoil spring guide and a 15 pound Glock recoil spring in USPSA using 3.1 gr of Sport Pistol and a 147 grn Berry fmj profile bullet. In my old man hands it seems that the 147 grn load has less "snap" in my pistol. I have fired this same load in my modded Stag 9mm PCC rifle and it cycles great.

 

My question is regarding perceived recoil in the rifles. Are you folks of the opinion that the lighter weight bullets "recoil" less in the rifles than the heavier bullets? Lets face it, none of them "kick" but I'm referring to making the dot jump around more. I'm going to move towards using the rifle as the old man shakes are starting to take over a bit and I can still shoot the rifle pretty well.

 

If someone has a good load with a 115, 125 or 135 grain bullet with sport pistol, I'd love to hear it.

 

Thanks for your replies,

 

Copterdrvr

 

 

Every gun and shooter are different, but I use lighter bullets because my gun doesn't group as well with the 147s.  Tried 124s, and they worked, but the 115s are faster and flatter within any range I would be using them for, and my gun seems to like them.

 

Hornady HAP 115 gr bullets with 4.1 gr of N320 powder.

 

Link to post
On 1/19/2020 at 10:12 PM, assaultthesalt said:

At Orr Tactical Custom Ammo , we make a USPSA only PCC load ( 131 PF ), that runs a 100 grainer at 1310 FPS out of my 14.5" MBX Ultralight Match Barrel.We found that the lighter projectile gives less dot movement.

I don't see that PCC load listed on your website.

Link to post
On 1/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, assaultthesalt said:

At Orr Tactical Custom Ammo , we make a USPSA only PCC load ( 131 PF ), that runs a 100 grainer at 1310 FPS out of my 14.5" MBX Ultralight Match Barrel.We found that the lighter projectile gives less dot movement.

may I ask what COL you using for the 100 grainer bullets ?

Link to post

Xtreme 147 RN
3.2gr Titegroup
1.15" OAL
Makes about 138pf in a 16" barrel (these are all my usual CO loads if I'm not running Blue Bullets 147s at 3.0gr of TG)

Soft shooting

 

Blue Bullets 125gr RN
3.6gr Titegroup
1.14" OAL
Makes 143pf in a 16" barrel verified at A8 chrono stage
A bit more oomph but faster cycling and helps with dot bounce

 

Both loads are very accurate; slightly over the 135 you're looking for, especially the 125gr load but the xtreme was a good dual-purpose load

Edited by mellino19
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Joe D said:

I use 147 gr lead bullets over 2.7-2.8 gr of Clay Dot 138PF. 16" cheap barrel from Midway. 1:10 twist. Stacks bullets at 20 yds.

20?

how is it at 50 or 100 yds, who cares about 20

Link to post
1 hour ago, toothandnail said:

20?

how is it at 50 or 100 yds, who cares about 20


but how many USPSA/PCC matches have shots out to those distances.

 

While I understand wanting to have good groups out that far, I don’t see it mattering for most stage setups, especially 100 yards.

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...