Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX magazine getting "stuck" in EVO grip

Rvajma

I just picked up a PT EVO build with a Dawson ICE magwell, and sometimes when inserting a mag slightly rotated into the pistol it will jam/stick about 1" into the grip.  I have to pull out and reinsert to seat fully.  Happens during dry fire with dummy rounds in the magazines when going full speed.  I know I should have everything lined up perfectly, but is this common?  Would the Limcat/PT magwell help with this, or should I should I train past bad technique?

The Dawson ice magwell “gives” too much and allows the mag to get stuck in the magwell not actually the grip itself. The Limcat magwell and others similar to it make this a non issue. Highly recommend. I also believe the Limcat magwell has just the right amount of bevel on it for people with mid to large sized hands. 

8 hours ago, lacivilian said:

The Dawson ice magwell “gives” too much and allows the mag to get stuck in the magwell not actually the grip itself. The Limcat magwell and others similar to it make this a non issue. Highly recommend. I also believe the Limcat magwell has just the right amount of bevel on it for people with mid to large sized hands. 

It actually does get stuck in the evo, not the magwell.  The limcat has a smaller hole so you can not insert it at the angle to where it would get stuck.  

58 minutes ago, Rvajma said:

Thanks for the help.  How much fitting does the limcat require with the EVO?  

You'll need to remove a little from the inside of the magwell as shown.  Favorite magwell, I have 3.  

44.jpg.b03d59911d8ebc90835908912dee7d6c.jpg

Edited by echotango

The evo grip has 3 tabs per side (6 total)..I dremeled the tabs almost flat to installed the magwell.

When using the dremel take a little material and try to slide the magwell on... wash rinse repeat until it fits snug. 

in total less than 10 min to disassemble fit and reassemble 

303587D6-1289-41C9-B8A3-EFF5B289DC02.jpeg

Edited by Bwillis

Very common

especially when your used to the plastic which is very forgiving!!!

the akai magwell also fixes this issue 

so you have a lot of options 

I didn’t modify my grip for akai but did have to dremil the lip insertion on the magwell then it slid rite on 

I had this same problem. Once I installed the Evo magwell, the problem went away and I couldn’t get it to jam if I purposely tried to.
I don't get this. I'll admit it helps some, but I can still get stuck magazines with the Limcat magwell. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem. At least not for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't get this. I'll admit it helps some, but I can still get stuck magazines with the Limcat magwell. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem. At least not for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As was I with a friends Limcat on his Evo grip, which is why I bought PT’s Evo magwell to go onto my Evo grip. No matter how hard I try to recreate the jammed mag, I can’t with the PT Evo magwell. The Limcat is great on Limcat’s grips. Not so much on PT Evos. Reading that people have removed material from a $650 steel grip to fit a $125 magwell from another company makes me shake my head. PT literally solved this problem with their own magwell and you don’t have to remove material from the grip.

Well the pt magwell just came out. Limcat identified and solved the problem a while ago. Also why would you remove material from a $650 grip vs the $130 magwell? Always remove from the cheapest part. 

I had the issue pretty bad with both wvo grips I have. I can't get the maga stuck with the limcat magwell and I've tried. 

Well the pt magwell just came out. Limcat identified and solved the problem a while ago. Also why would you remove material from a $650 grip vs the $130 magwell? Always remove from the cheapest part. 

I had the issue pretty bad with both wvo grips I have. I can't get the maga stuck with the limcat magwell and I've tried. 

There’s one dude above who literally is showing everyone how to remove material from the grip to get the Limcat to fit lol. My buddy did the same thing to his grip, and a few others he installed for friends. Once he told me what he did I told him it would be a hard pass. If I’m going to have someone remove material from the grip, Hayes Custom Guns does a mod to Evo’s, removing material from the inside of the grip that stops the mag from getting jammed. I was going to go in that direction until I decided to buy PT’s magwell after talking to them about the problem. If that wouldn’t have worked I’d have removed my grip and sent it down to Hayes for the mod they do.

@echotango @DD78 I understand removing material from the cheapest part but it was easier for me the file down the tabs. If someone makes 6 notch’s in the magwell they all have to line up have the correct depth and be perfect. It’s easier to file and fit the tabs. If you’re worried about messing up $650 dollar steel grip  you probably shouldn’t be working on the gun in the first place Imo. 

Edited by Bwillis

4 hours ago, Bwillis said:

@echotango @DD78 I understand removing material from the cheapest part but it was easier for me the file down the tabs. If someone makes 6 notch’s in the magwell they all have to line up have the correct depth and be perfect. It’s easier to file and fit the tabs. If you’re worried about messing up $650 dollar steel grip  you probably shouldn’t be working on the gun in the first place Imo. 

I am not worried about messing up a $650 grip, I know what I am doing.  It took 1 min to remove the material from the magwell.  Different strokes for different folks. 

Got the EVO magwell installed last night. Slipped right on, but the pin was an 1/8" long on either side protruding from the magwell.  Simple fix to shorten each side and seems to solve the sticking issue thus far.  

9 hours ago, DD78 said:

I was going to go in that direction until I decided to buy PT’s magwell after talking to them about the problem.

What's funny is PT used to say this wasn't a problem, and the user was just "doing it wrong" etc. Then Limcat released a magwell that fixed this nonexistent problem and suddenly PT is making a similar magwell that does the same thing.  They'd of been in a much better place in my eye's had they responded differently when shooters pointed this out, and then came up with a solution instead of denying it and attacking customers then copying someone else's solution.

13 hours ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Atlas mags won't stick either, and they are heavier. 

As far as I know atlas doesn’t make there own mags they just tune em 

so you would still have same issue with mags sticking ???

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

What's funny is PT used to say this wasn't a problem, and the user was just "doing it wrong" etc. Then Limcat released a magwell that fixed this nonexistent problem and suddenly PT is making a similar magwell that does the same thing.  They'd of been in a much better place in my eye's had they responded differently when shooters pointed this out, and then came up with a solution instead of denying it and attacking customers then copying someone else's solution.

Yup I remember reading this thread you mention 

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

👆