Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX magazine getting "stuck" in EVO grip

Rvajma

I also switched to a PT magwell after trying the Limcat for a while on my Atlas. Limcat magwell does not fit the EVO grip well leaving the weird gap on the back. Also I believe it is unnecessary heavy. Also I  like the feel of the PT magwell better at least for my hand size (Medium). The original pin that came with the PT magwell is too long. You  can either shorten it or use the original pin of the Atlas mag well. It works perfectly for me

Edited by cheby

Waybback when I had this angled insertion issue I removed my magwell and dryfire trained with out it.   Haven’t had any issues since as I had to focus on correct placement. 

however, I realize it’s easier to change out magwells now and call it a day.  

4 hours ago, Punished said:

Waybback when I had this angled insertion issue I removed my magwell and dryfire trained with out it.   Haven’t had any issues since as I had to focus on correct placement. 

That is dedication! I like that approach but my guns have the Limcat magwells on them so I’ll just stick with that. 

5 hours ago, Punished said:

I used to shoot production for a long time. My reloads are alright. The best reloads are the ones that go through without any magwell; however we are all humans including the best of us. The magwell  is to help to deal with those mistakes . So you never make any mistakes when reloading

On 12/7/2019 at 7:49 PM, cheby said:

I used to shoot production for a long time. My reloads are alright. The best reloads are the ones that go through without any magwell; however we are all humans including the best of us. The magwell  is to help to deal with those mistakes . So you never make any mistakes when reloading

I do in training, as I pushed harder there than reload speed in matches. The key for me on keeping mags straight was not just tossing them in the hole, but to control the magazine in to complete seated position.  Once I did this I no longer had the angled jams.   I'm sure a big key to this was I shot single stack for a while before moving to limited/open.   However, my dryfire has 10-15min of focused training on magazine insertion at the end of each session.  

On 12/5/2019 at 8:11 PM, mwc said:

I don't get this. I'll admit it helps some, but I can still get stuck magazines with the Limcat magwell. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem. At least not for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can try a little tuning trick to the mag. Front to back of the mag, just below the opening,  try reducing this length slightly by squeezing in a vice. I had a couple that would hang up slightly and others that were smooth. With a little Machinist dye on the mag body I could see a slight rub on the very most front part, 1/2" below point where you can see the second round. Would have never thought that was it but, the dye brought it to my attention pretty quick. 

I had mag issues with the Limcat magwell also.  Mbx mags would go into my chaos with the limcat no problem. But new STI 2nd gens would get stuck. The mbx had a more rounded nose in the front then the Sti.  When measuring them the Sti was slightly longer front to back at the base of the top opening. I gently massaged them(whacked them with a hammer) at the front curve and “rolled the front” in about .003 or 4 and now they go in no problem even if I start them at a 90 degree angle.

There are two different types of "stuck" being described in this thread.

One is getting the magazine stuck while inserting it in the first 1/4 of an evo grip. This was corrected by the limcat magwell and the others that followed.

The other magazine getting "stuck" in the grip (not dropping when released) is a completely different issue. That is a mag tuning issue and has nothing to do with the magwell. 

Edited by echotango

On 12/6/2019 at 4:08 PM, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Sorry atlas mag well, not mags my bad fat fingered it 

And it definitly does get suck with an Atlas magwell too.  I know they were developing a new one that would be similar to the limcat but I didn't think it was released yet.  Hell I've even gotten my mags stuck on the make ready with an atlas magwell. I'm not saying it isn't a good magwell as I've only had a few jams while actually shooting a stage but it isn't doing what the Limcat or what I assume the PT is doing as far as keeping it away fromt he EVO grip so it doesn't jam. 

I shoot in a ban state. My 10 round mags are 126 long. I would have to buy new mags and a fancy new magwell to prevent this sticking.

Instead, I sent my PT grip to Hayes Custom Guns for their grip mod. There is no sticking at all now. Well worth the money, turn around was quick. Reloads are much smoother now.

49 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I shoot in a ban state. My 10 round mags are 126 long. I would have to buy new mags and a fancy new magwell to prevent this sticking.

Instead, I sent my PT grip to Hayes Custom Guns for their grip mod. There is no sticking at all now. Well worth the money, turn around was quick. Reloads are much smoother now.

I wouldn't mind seeing what all they did, if you could send us some pics.