Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open pistol consideration....Which/What/Why...

RGC

On 1/25/2020 at 8:30 AM, Ozy said:

If budget allows,  infinity svi open are just incredible. looks and build to match. you won't be disappointed!

Lots of GOOD opinions on this subject. Why SVI when you can get an Atlas way sooner for way less money?   Atlas is an amazing company with excellent products, reliable and the best...CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE....Am I biased? Yeah...Atlas Gunworks. 

29 minutes ago, Hperea said:

Lots of GOOD opinions on this subject. Why SVI when you can get an Atlas way sooner for way less money?   Atlas is an amazing company with excellent products, reliable and the best...CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE....Am I biased? Yeah...Atlas Gunworks. 

I’m not an SV guy and never will be but I have handled and shot a few of them. Very few guns even come close to the overall quality, feel, etc. 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I’m not an SV guy and never will be but I have handled and shot a few of them. Very few guns even come close to the overall quality, feel, etc. 

I have never shot them, but you have to agree that for the price....i better get an "alien pistol"..hold..that is here already. 

3 hours ago, Hperea said:

Really curious to see what you have to sell once you get out of classified purgatory.

And by the way, the prices of Atlas open guns are easily north of 8K these days. Pass

When I first tried open, I found a well used 38 super Infinity IMM at a LGS. It was a beautiful stainless pistol but I failed to understand that the comp that had been hacked off would maybe disrupt it’s handling.  The folks at Infinity did an amazing job rebuilding it, converted it to 38sc, installed new barrel and comp and it runs like new. The only downside is the RO’s don’t like going deaf. 😁

I wasn't going to post a recommendation here, because any number of good builders have been mentioned.  One that has not is Cheely Custom (not CK Arms).

Anyway, I wanted to second the suggestion you consider 9mm major.  If I got my brass for free, or money was no object, I'd shoot 38SC.  Since neither is the case, and all my matches are (for me) lost brass matches, I decided to go with 9mm major.  I do not regret the decision.  I buy fully processed (including primer pocket swaging and roll sizing) same HS brass for 5 cents each.  They run through the press like butter with zero rejects in the Shockbottle.  My load of 10.2gr Major Pistol powder under a 115 @ 1.161" makes 169PF with an SD of 4.9.  The powder isn't even compressed.

I'm really glad I didn't listen to all who were peddling stories about how horrible 9mm major was.  They were all wrong.  I put 8,000 of the load I mentioned above through the gun this season with zero problems of any kind.  And I don't have to crawl all over the place after the match to scrounge up any of the 38SC brass I could find.

45 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Really curious to see what you have to sell once you get out of classified purgatory.

And by the way, the prices of Atlas open guns are easily north of 8K these days. Pass

We all have preferences right? The same way you pass others may not.

Great recommendations....I ordered a Honcho and am intrigued by the engineering...AND, I ordered a 38SC (already have 20k brass and am set up for it), 9mm Major (agree with chasing brass comments and just want a flat comparison) and a 40 iron sight block (because I could...).  
Will see in a few weeks I guess...

5 minutes ago, Hperea said:

We all have preferences right? The same way you pass others may not.

Your made the comment that Atlas is "way cheaper than SVI" . Atlas custom base is 6900.  

I own neither SVI or Atlas guns. Do you even shoot Open?

1 minute ago, Balakay said:

Your made the comment that Atlas is "way cheaper than SVI" . Atlas custom base is 6900.  

I own neither SVI or Atlas guns. Do you even shoot Open?

Do not take it personal please, that is and was never my intention.

It is just a personal preference. I know that Atlas open are not cheap. I don’t own one because of that reason. 
I don’t shoot open. I shoot limited because that is what I can do. Once you get to the open class, prices are very competitive/high. I am not there yet. 

10 minutes ago, Hperea said:

Do not take it personal please, that is and was never my intention.

It is just a personal preference. I know that Atlas open are not cheap. I don’t own one because of that reason. 
I don’t shoot open. I shoot limited because that is what I can do. Once you get to the open class, prices are very competitive/high. I am not there yet. 

Read the title of the thread : asking for OPEN gun preferences. You don't shoot an Open gun. When someone asks LIMITED gun prefs, we'll take a mental note that you like Atlas. Until then....

Back to the original question. Like RGC, I also ordered a Honcho (9 and 38 SC).  If it shoots as well as my other Open guns that were significantly more money, the pricing structure of Open guns will be heavily scrutinized

12 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Read the title of the thread : asking for OPEN gun preferences. You don't shoot an Open gun. When someone asks LIMITED gun prefs, we'll take a mental note that you like Atlas. Until then....

Back to the original question. Like RGC, I also ordered a Honcho (9 and 38 SC).  If it shoots as well as my other Open guns that were significantly more money, the pricing structure of Open guns will be heavily scrutinized

That’s why I came to this forum to learn. Thanks for teaching me Sir...Uff

I have a Carne Custom on order.  Waiting patiently for roughly an April delivery.  I thought about ordering a Honcho when the sales came through but decided to go with a local builder that every gun that I have seen come out of his shop has been a work of art.

Atlas for an open gun is outside of my price range or willing to spend range.  A buddy of mine shoots one and it is an awesome gun that he shoots really well.  I think if you stick with any of the known builders (SVI, Akai, Atlas, Venom, PT etc.) you will be just fine and will get a quality product.

10 hours ago, parvusimperator said:

The Honcho might really mess with the pricing now that you can buy it in just the caliber you want. I'm looking forward to it.

Agree, if the Honcho platform proves to be reliable its price point will be very attractive for those wanting a semi-custom open rig.

From my perspective, there are the Bul and SPS open guns in the $2.5K range, then CZ czechmate in the $3000 range, the PT rig should be around the $4K price point, depending upon options and above $4K you have the normal suspects (Atlas, CK, SVI, etc.) making custom and semi-custom rigs.

Don w/ Venom Customs makes great guns.  He's built me 3 open guns and worked over my STI matchmaster.  Don does phenomenal work and he is such a great guy.  He can do pretty much anything under the sun.