Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hollow point vs Round nose

TANFARM

Has anyone really noticed a substantial difference shooting these 2 bullet designs in Major 9 Open?

Anyone have any particular loading/ feeding problems with one as opposed to the other design.

Thinking about going back to RN 124........

Thanks in advance.

Not in shooting, just the gunk left in the comp from FMJ. One of my guns did not care for the profile of Precision Delta JHP. I switched to RMR and Everglades, no problems feeding. If you like the FMJ profile, try Montana Gold CMJ, no exposed lead base. 

Edited by OPENB

As OPENB mentioned, you can shoot FMJ's with a comp, if you don't mind

taking time to keep your comp clean - if you don't, the comp will fill up with

lead from the exposed base of the FMJ's.  

What gun are you using ?   I haven't heard of anyone running a CZ or 2011

having problems with feeding of JHP's ?   

What brand JHP's gave you the problem, and at what OAL ?

In my original inquiry I am referring to totally encapsulated bullets....Atals Chaos.....the feeding problems are just intermittent enough to be a PITA.....eliminated magazines......moving on. Using PD 124 HP at present.

Thanks.

Edited by TANFARM
Deletion of sentence

I love the old discontinued RMR hardcore match thick plated RN and I have put thousands of them through my open gun.  I like how long I can load them in my short throat CK (1.190" with their 124gr) and they are super accurate. 

I have also used a bunch of the Everglades V2 JHP RN and they, too can be loaded long.  I did 1.175" with these.  The group's I have fired from a bench at 25 yards were under 1.5"

Precision Delta and Hornady JHP's load pretty similar, but I have to load them short, at 1.145" to 1.155"   

I have personally found that the round nose profiles feed smoother in my gun, but that may be purely due to the longer OAL, which in and of itself aids in feeding. 

Another option is the Montana Gold 357 sig JHP. Still .355 and a more traditional design. The body is longer to accommodate the necked case. They also work better in the STI old style mags for 9mm. Work well in my 38 Super. I switched back to Precision Delta as I prefer 115 JHP.

I use Everglades 124 JHP with my Chaos and they've been great.  I highly reccomend them.  They've gotten every order I've made shipped within 24 hours. 

How did you eliminate magazines?  I orignally had problems with my Chaos when I first got it and thought it was magazines.  For me it ended up being the ejector wasn't fitted correctly due to them using the dawson mag release.  I switched it to an STI mag release and fit a new ejector and it cleared up any issue I had. Now everything comes out at 2:30 and perfect.  If you have any questions on it feel free to send me a DM.

Edited by CaliYeti

Flat-nosed bullets need to be seated a tad deeper (0.020" shorter OAL worked for me) than round-nosed; the flat-nosed bullets can cock in the magazine and hang up just enough to cause a misfeed.  The max length of RN rounds is along the bore axis, but the FN is longer when tipped.  It took me a year and a couple of thousand rounds fired to figure it out; in the meantime I'd have a misfeed every 20-30 rounds.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:36 AM, TANFARM said:

Has anyone really noticed a substantial difference shooting these 2 bullet designs in Major 9 Open?

Anyone have any particular loading/ feeding problems with one as opposed to the other design.

Thinking about going back to RN 124........

Thanks in advance.

I had some PD 124g RN to get rid of and they shot ok but the JHP are so clean running that I won't try anything else. Laser accurate as well and zero feeding issues to date.

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot RMR fmj, PD jhp, Everglades fmj and MG jhp.

MG jhp are my favorite and they are very consistent. So in my experience they are the most accurate for me. Never had any feeding issues with the jhp

I used to use MG JHP and never had any issues with that bullet profile. Then switched to the MG CMJs for two reasons. I like to tumble after loading to get the lube off plus extra shiny rounds make me happy. The JHP lets corn cob get stuck in the HP and its a PIA to get it out. The other reason was if on the very off chance I had a AD in my leg or foot drawing the gun or holstering - while it would suck getting hit with a 9 major round in the back of my mind the CMJ might suck a little less.

Edited by Chillywig