Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gallant 9mm coated bullets

Rallyx100

Hello...I recently purchased Gallant coated bullets in 9mm 125gr the dia on these is .358 I have been using Bayou and Sns coated they are .356 & .357 prospectively.

I did a drop test in my 929 cylinder and it doesn't enter like the Bayou & Sns.

What is the best way to approach this..the cylinder measures .357

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping someone had experience with a Smith 929 revolver 9mm and the Gallant coated bullets 

Gallant posts the bullets as .356 on the site, but they are .358, I see some posts of shooters using .358 but would like to hear comments from those users

17 hours ago, Rallyx100 said:

I was hoping someone had experience with a Smith 929 revolver 9mm and the Gallant coated bullets 

Gallant posts the bullets as .356 on the site, but they are .358, I see some posts of shooters using .358 but would like to hear comments from those users

I would send them back for a refund.  They are not only not as advertised, but they're unusable.

I will say this as far as Gallants are concerned.....I had a batch that was supposed to be .356 and they were .354"

Second batch was sized correctly but we stupid soft. They admitted to the problem both times. 

1 hour ago, Rallyx100 said:

JPM, you seem to have experience with other brands, any suggestion or opinion that stands out?

I’ve had nothing but good luck with BBI’s. For the price, they are hard to beat. Stupid quick shipping. I know a guy with a 7.5% discount code too! 
I think I’ve tried them all by now and always come back to BBI. 

Only ones I’ve really had bad luck with are Gallants and Brazos. The Brazos are (in my opinion) too soft. Even when I tried .357’s, I got terrible leading. Seems to be very common with them. No shortage of those complaints. 

another decent one I have had good luck with are Summers Enterprises. Their bullet profile allows you to run them longer if you want/need to. 

And the leading I got was with all my pistols. Not just 1 particular one. And I want through all the steps of Eliminating leading too. Ditched the Lee FCD, slugged my bores. Even at .002” over bore diameter, I got leading with the Brazos 

3 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

I will say this as far as Gallants are concerned.....I had a batch that was supposed to be .356 and they were .354"

Second batch was sized correctly but we stupid soft. They admitted to the problem both times. 

5 hours ago, elguapo said:

I would send them back for a refund.  They are not only not as advertised, but they're unusable.

I've been shooting Gallants this year and there was a "bad" batch that came out. Since then they have changed dies and after calling and talking to Eli he sent out a new case to replace the first one. Leading is gone with the second case and the first case is now range ammo. Give him a call. I bet you'll be doing ok on the other side. (Not affiliated with Gallant...just a satisfied customer).

I've settled on Precisions.  The new coating is superior, IMO, and the new profile is excellent not requiring short OALs. I have a lot of Brazos 125s as well, accurate and cheap but still some leading with .358s.  Interesting discovery recently was that if I shoot some Precisions first,  then say 100 rnds or so of Brazos, the leading is minimal and cleans easy with a bronze brush.  Just shooting 200 rnds of Brazos meant a Chor Boy scrub job. The Preciaion coating contains a solid lube that seems to coat the bore slightly and prevent leading from the Brazos bullets.  

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I use .358 Ibej's in our 929's.  No problems.

Did you mic the Gallants?

I checked the Gallant bullets with dial calipers at .358 , I should check the calipers with some feeler gauge stock, however the Gallant do measure .002" bigger than Bayou's (several varietys) which are at .356 with the same calipers.

Do you have any mods on your 929's cylinder?

Also did you go to .358 because you were seeing excess leading?

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, Rallyx100 said:

Gmp, are you using 125gr precisions?

If I might ask the dia and what you are shooting them in, any revolver?

Precisions profile might be good for my P-09 CZ referring to the OAL as you commented. 

Yes, i recently bought 3500 125gr  flat point .358s.  (listed as Cowboy bullets, but same profile as the 9mm .356s.)  i too have a P09,  load for that and a Shadow 2.  With this new profile they plunked at 1.153" in the P09.   I run them at 1.120" with 3.8g Sport Pistol and they shoot great in both guns, as well as my Beretta APX.  The 115 and 147 g have the same profile as well,  the 100g is the old style TC but its so short its fine if you need a light bullet for Steel Challenge.  Very pleased with these coated bullets, service and fast shipping.

15 hours ago, Rallyx100 said:

I checked the Gallant bullets with dial calipers at .358 , I should check the calipers with some feeler gauge stock, however the Gallant do measure .002" bigger than Bayou's (several varietys) which are at .356 with the same calipers.

Do you have any mods on your 929's cylinder?

Also did you go to .358 because you were seeing excess leading?

Thanks in advance

Mods?  Just had the edged champered but that shouldn't make any difference.  I went to .358 from what I read here.  They worked great in our first 929's and when I got our 2nd set of fully tuned 929's they worked in those as well.  Thankfully as I had 20k of lead on hand.

What exactly is your issue?  Can you clarify:

it doesn't enter like the Bayou & Sns

I load using a Lee 9mm FCD.

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Mods?  Just had the edged champered but that shouldn't make any difference.  I went to .358 from what I read here.  They worked great in our first 929's and when I got our 2nd set of fully tuned 929's they worked in those as well.  Thankfully as I had 20k of lead on hand.

What exactly is your issue?  Can you clarify:

I load using a Lee 9mm FCD.

Yes, I noticed before loading any of the Gallant bullets that the bullet would not drop through the cylinder as previous other brands purchased Bayou & SNS, checked the dia and sure enough they were larger, Gallant being .358.

Aside from being larger than what I was expecting to receive, I started looking on this forum and saw some conversation of people using .358 although it can be transparent of the equipment people are using, I have had excess leading with the .356 dia I have been using and decided to explore furthur.

I shot some Gallant 147s in autos and they did fine.  I have gone back to plated 9mm for better feeding in my finicky Colt.

Gallant makes a 200 gr RN .45 that is a great thing to have if you are tired of trying to get SWCs feeding in multiple guns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 6:12 PM, jpm2953 said:

Only ones I’ve really had bad luck with are Gallants and Brazos. The Brazos are (in my opinion) too soft. Even when I tried .357’s, I got terrible leading. Seems to be very common with them. No shortage of those complaints. 

Concur

They measure small in my opinion

Bayou seem the best to me but that's all I mainly use because of the good bullets and customer service

If the bullet sticks in your cyl., get some pin gauges or go to a machine shop with the cyl and ask them to gauge it.

Then buy the bullet size that fits the cyl.

In our games the moon clip has to Drop in for a smooth reload

I use Bayou .358 dia bullets in my 929

Edited by jcc7x7