Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gallant 9mm coated bullets

Rallyx100

Hey guys-

How quickly does leading occur when dealing with an undersized bullet/oversized bore?

I've shot about 300 .356" Gallant bullets and decided to slug the barrel before I make a big bullet purchase (hopefully on BF). There was some minor depositing but the barrel slugged at .3565" after a good cleaning. Probably 2k fmj down the barrel since the last cleaning. Thanks

Edited by Cam73

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured the Gallants with a mic at .3575, and using a bore gauge on the cylinder bore at about the same means.

Noticed alot of leading on the cylinder bore in the process when spinning the bore guage, seems mostly at the 6 & 12 o'clock of the cylinder in firing position.

Cleaned the cylinder and barrel good and loaded the Gallants did some test runs with .377 crimp with no issues, but not outstanding results, I haven't established a good load for the 929 yet, going to try some precision 125gr .357 dia.

I entered a note on the order to Precision, .357 dia which they acknowledged having noted as such, we will see.

I have seen YouTuber FortuneCookie45LC do a video of sizing coated bullets.

Also ordered a number of various Bayou using the same request .357 dia, based on advice here including some 160gr, 150gr, 105gr, 95gr

34 minutes ago, Rallyx100 said:

I entered a note on the order to Precision, .357 dia which they acknowledged having noted as such, we will see.

Precision is a good way to go, great service/follow through. They even sent out a very generous "sample" pack no charge when the first order I placed ended up not being what was needed. Good email response and customer service.

1 hour ago, Bench said:

Precision is a good way to go, great service/follow through. They even sent out a very generous "sample" pack no charge when the first order I placed ended up not being what was needed. Good email response and customer service.

I've ordered a bunch of precisions in different sizes and agree with you regarding good service and email response

But

they use softer lead than most (per their website, I think 12 brindell hardness.

That in itself can cause problems with bullets skidding at the speeds we shoot, even minor.

I want to like them due to the price and small business etc.

But can't find the sweet spot for them to shoot and not lead

Got 3 or 4 bags of 125rn's if anybody wants them at a good price LOL

22 hours ago, Cam73 said:

Hey guys-

How quickly does leading occur when dealing with an undersized bullet/oversized bore?

I've shot about 300 .356" Gallant bullets and decided to slug the barrel before I make a big bullet purchase (hopefully on BF). There was some minor depositing but the barrel slugged at .3565" after a good cleaning. Probably 2k fmj down the barrel since the last cleaning. 

My understanding of bullet size to barrel size is something like this .3565 barrel plus .001 for bullet size would be .3575 to .358 depending on opinion and rifling, just want to open this up for opinion.

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I know a lot of 929 shooters who use .358. I would get a bag to try.

I have some .358's have been working on a load for 929 with CFE and Sport Pistol, have time off next week hopefully I can do some more testing! The Range is close to me convenient!

I also have two other pistols P-09 CZ and 9mm 1911, but it looks like I'm not going to find a common ground so to speak, chamber depths and such.

I don't intend on making this a powder selection debate as it gets out of hand.

But if you have an experience with CFE or Sport Pistol great!

10 hours ago, Rallyx100 said:

I have some .358's have been working on a load for 929 with CFE and Sport Pistol, have time off next week hopefully I can do some more testing! The Range is close to me convenient!

I also have two other pistols P-09 CZ and 9mm 1911, but it looks like I'm not going to find a common ground so to speak, chamber depths and such.

I don't intend on making this a powder selection debate as it gets out of hand.

But if you have an experience with CFE or Sport Pistol great!

You have a lot of flexibility in OAL with that new Precision profile.  CFE and Sport Pistol are VERY different, CFE being much slower.  I have had great results with Precisions over Sport Pistol in my CZs.  However, I just started experimenting with a PM barrel and comp in a P09, loaded the same bullets over various mid to upper loads of Power Pistol to find the sweet spot.  Overall the gun shot great, very accurate, flat, spring/load in balance as the dot returns center after minimal rise.  But,  after 200 rnds the comp had a fair amount of leading, and a small amount in the barrel.   OEM CZ barrels, with the lighter Sport Pistol  load, stay perfectly clean.  The new barrel appears less polished, perhaps that has something to do with it.  I probably should have broke in in with more jacketed but open base FMJ will get a comp dirty too.  At no time did accuracy suffer, actually got better as loads got hotter.  I mean a ragged 1" hole @ 15 yards and 3-4" @ 25 yards off hand.   I always liked RMR FMJs,   have some of their heavy plated 125s on the way to try in this gun/barrel.  

13 hours ago, GMP said:

You have a lot of flexibility in OAL with that new Precision profile.  CFE and Sport Pistol are VERY different, CFE being much slower.  I have had great results with Precisions over Sport Pistol in my CZs.  However, I just started experimenting with a PM barrel and comp in a P09, loaded the same bullets over various mid to upper loads of Power Pistol to find the sweet spot.  Overall the gun shot great, very accurate, flat, spring/load in balance as the dot returns center after minimal rise.  But,  after 200 rnds the comp had a fair amount of leading, and a small amount in the barrel.   OEM CZ barrels, with the lighter Sport Pistol  load, stay perfectly clean.  The new barrel appears less polished, perhaps that has something to do with it.  I probably should have broke in in with more jacketed but open base FMJ will get a comp dirty too.  At no time did accuracy suffer, actually got better as loads got hotter.  I mean a ragged 1" hole @ 15 yards and 3-4" @ 25 yards off hand.   I always liked RMR FMJs,   have some of their heavy plated 125s on the way to try in this gun/barrel.  

I chose the 125 FP for the precision purchase looking for use in other guns.

I have settled with a 120TSG Bayou for the CZ P-09 and 4.4 of CFE Pistol working really well at 1.043 OAL.

So far the Sport Pistol loads haven't done better, but some test loads are pending.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:00 AM, GMP said:

You have a lot of flexibility in OAL with that new Precision profile.  

Which profile are you referring to above?  I have similar issue in that I run two basic range loads, one for my 9mm 1911's and one for my two M&P 2.0's...  The M&P 2.0 chamber requires a much shorter OAL with the two last bullets I've tried (Acme Coated 124g RN and 125g RN), so am looking to make a change to a bullet with a less aggressive ogive angle.  I was considering switching to Everglades Ammo 9mm plated as they have a more traditional OEM like profile, and the cost difference isn't that much, but if I can find a coated bullet I would prefer it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2019 at 12:28 AM, 78Staff said:

Which profile are you referring to above?  I have similar issue in that I run two basic range loads, one for my 9mm 1911's and one for my two M&P 2.0's...  The M&P 2.0 chamber requires a much shorter OAL with the two last bullets I've tried (Acme Coated 124g RN and 125g RN), so am looking to make a change to a bullet with a less aggressive ogive angle.  I was considering switching to Everglades Ammo 9mm plated as they have a more traditional OEM like profile, and the cost difference isn't that much, but if I can find a coated bullet I would prefer it.

78Staff, talking about Precision Bullets, they have changed the ojive on some of the bullets.

https://youtu.be/09RYIvCHZP4

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2019 at 7:39 PM, Bench said:

I agree, good response from Precision, the Gallant bullets worked out, but case prep was a problem with the Dia supplied, went with the Lee univ expander die and the NOE plug at .358 it's a stretch for .358 bullets but got SD at 9 and 17 spread on the crono

8 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

.358 is way too large. .358 is for heavily worn or oversized barrels, which is very rare. You need a smaller diameter based on a barrel slug test. Resize those bullets.

I see you haven’t posted here very much. What you need to do is search this forum about .358 and I think you will find many are using that size quite successfully in their guns.  Guns that are neither heavily worn or oversized. 

Coated lead can be shot quite well in a variety of diameters in 9mm. 

There’s a lot of experience here on BE forum, so use the search feature and take advantage of it.

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I see you haven’t posted here very much. What you need to do is search this forum about .358 and I think you will find many are using that size quite successfully in their guns.  Guns that are neither heavily worn or oversized. 

Coated lead can be shot quite well in a variety of diameters in 9mm. 

There’s a lot of experience here on BE forum, so use the search feature and take advantage of it.

After shooting for 43 years, reloading for 38 of those and being a gunsmith for 34 of those, I think my wealth of knowledge and life experience speaks for itself. But you're welcome to follow what others advise you to do and chime in on my commentary all you want

Edited by Glockster1

14 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

After shooting for 43 years, reloading for 38 of those and being a gunsmith for 34 of those, I think my wealth of knowledge and life experience speaks for itself. But you're welcome to follow what others advise you to do and chime in on my commentary all you want

So basically you came here to correct everyone else????

Ok, your comment about .358 coated bullets is not what many have found works the best for their loads. 

11 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

So basically you came here to correct everyone else????

Ok, your comment about .358 coated bullets is not what many have found works the best for their loads. 

I agree. If you go onto castboolits forum they commonly advocate .358 casts for 9mm if it'll chamber.

Just now, edison said:

I agree. If you go onto castboolits forum they commonly advocate .358 casts for 9mm if it'll chamber.

Just now, edison said:

Just now, edison said:

I didn't come here to correct anyone. I came to share my experience. I made that clear in my last post.