Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unreliable???

Dranoel

39 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

Glocks have been torture tested more than almost any other pistol out there.  To include extreme temps, explosions, etc....  Polymer is a lot stronger than you may like to admit.  

And have you seen one frozen to -65F?  Polymer may be strong, but it is NOT stronger than steel and it tends to get very brittle in extreme cold.

26 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

And have you seen one frozen to -65F?  Polymer may be strong, but it is NOT stronger than steel and it tends to get very brittle in extreme cold.

Are there a lot of gun fights in the north pole?

43 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

At least -45F.  Not going to turn this into a dick measuring contest, but Glocks have been the subject of both destructive and non-destructive testing enough to be deemed reliable and service worthy.  As a standard, yes 1911s are more finicky that modern striker fired pistols when it comes to reliability.  Cool video though. 

I trust my Colt 1911s.  I have three of them.  I don't carry any of them.  I carry a P07 day in/day out.  Because of the 20 plus years of carrying 1911s I went through a lot of pistols to find something that gave me cocked and locked carry, reliability, accuracy and still feels good in my hand.

Why do I carry the P07?  Thirteen rounds.  Easy to put an RMR on it.  I won't feel bad when I scratch/gouge it up.

I got out my 1917 made Colt 1911 a couple/three years ago for it's 100th birthday shoot.  It's original with the itty bitty sights, spur hammer, small thumb safety, short, grip safety, etc., etc.

I grabbed a bunch of partial boxes of .45 acp ammo and took to the range.  We (my oldest son and one of his buddies) used that old Colt to shoot up 185 grain LSWC, 200 grain LSWC, 200 grain LRN, 230 grain LRN and 230 grain FMJ.  100% function.  It still works, after all these years.  But I won't carry it.

All guns are not created equal.  Even if they are same brand/model/caliber.  One will be more accurate, or reliable, than the other.  Any test has to be with a large enough sample size to be meaningful.  And then, sooner or later, you'll still run into one that doesn't fit into the group.

I'm a 1911 fanboy but I'm here to tell you that anyone who thinks a 1911 is as reliable as a Glock is smoking illegal substances. If I had to rely on Glock repairs or tuning in my shop, I'd starve. They're ugly, the trigger will never get anywhere near as good as even a crappy 1911 and the grip angle is just... wrong. But the stupid things just work and keep right on working.

I bet that’s real. I sure I’d the gun is really tight but fit properly then it will cycle. I bet the key is proper fit. My buddy built a 2011 and the fit is terrible. The slide to frame fit needs 1k+ rounds just to free up and make it slide better. I bet if his gun was used in this test it would fail. 

The video is not indicative of reliability, but rather capability.  It shows THAT pistol has the capability to fire one shot at that temp.  Reliability would be shown if you showed that it had the ability perform the same way repeatedly.

I love 1911s.  The above is no way reflecting on 1911s,  just pointing out this doesn't show reliability.  

• 3 weeks later...