Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It may be worthwhile to point out a couple of the differences between the optic ready DWX and the previous model. The first difference is that the optic ready model appears to have dropped the interconnection tube that EGW was using in its ambi safety.  Another difference is that it uses standard CZ grip screws rather than the 1911 grip screws used by the non-optic version. Also, there appears to be an upgrade to the finish on the barrel which appears relatively impervious to wear compared to the previous model. And finally, my LOK magwells were able to be slipped directly onto the frames of both my DWX-OR’s with perfect fit. The previous model has several accounts of people needing to use a mallet or modify the magwell to fit. 

Thanks Archer.....to add this this, there are a few questions that still need to be answered.....

1. On the OR models both full size and compact, what are the relative weights with no optic and no mag inserted?

2. If they are "lighter" than the non OR where did they remove the weight?

3. I had to take a bit of weight off mine to make it optics division legal for IDPA (45oz with optic mounted and empty mag inserted) and I keep getting asked are the "new" OR models IDPA legal?

4. Is the compact the full size frame with a shorter slide/barrel?

Inquiring minds want to know....

15 hours ago, pumpedTSI said:

Thanks Archer.....to add this this, there are a few questions that still need to be answered.....

1. On the OR models both full size and compact, what are the relative weights with no optic and no mag inserted?

2. If they are "lighter" than the non OR where did they remove the weight?

3. I had to take a bit of weight off mine to make it optics division legal for IDPA (45oz with optic mounted and empty mag inserted) and I keep getting asked are the "new" OR models IDPA legal?

4. Is the compact the full size frame with a shorter slide/barrel?

Inquiring minds want to know....

I can answer some but not all of your questions.

1 & 2. On weight, go to YT and look for a video by ACxREAL on how he modified his original DWX to meet IDPA mass weight restrictions.  He shows all of the steps needed.  If I recall correctly he managed it without carving up the slide.

3.  Probably not, both my pistols weigh exactly 44.8 ounces with an Impact Machine optics plate, LOK aluminum Gridlok stocks and magwell, and an SRO- with no magazine.  Maybe ultra-light grips, and trimming the magwell, might squeak you in.  (see video referenced above)

4.  No, the compact has an aluminum frame, but still uses the steel FCU module, so you have steel rails.

Edited by Archer

I have an optics ready DWX enroute. Someone mentioned the Double Alpha Flex holster many posts ago (on like page 48) of this thread, but I didn't see where they mentioned which insert block was used ("A" or "B"). With the DWX employing a CZ75-like lower it would make sense it would employ the "B" block since that is what Shadow 2s and similar models use, but given its a hybrid 2011 I wasn't sure if the "A" block might be the correct one since that block is specifically for 1911/2011s. Can anyone using the DAA Flex confirm which block?

4 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

With the optic-ready model now available, are there any advantages to getting the original model and having it it cut?

Less hardware to break.  I prefer a direct milled slide if done correctly.

The only reason I would see would be to lighten the slide to make weight limit if you shoot IDPA....other than that....no. I would also think the non cut versions "should" be able to be picked up a tad cheaper now.....or maybe not.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:20 AM, TactDadBod said:

DPM’s are a two piece system. I use them on a couple striker fire pistols with comps and they help with recoil and tuning.

Id love to see a DWX model or someone marketing a solution for the DWX.

DPM now makes one:
https://www.dpmsystems.com/en-gb/e-shop/pistols-recoil-reduction/dan-wesson/dan-wesson-dxw-full-size-495-barrel

On 6/8/2024 at 8:25 AM, Kmargetta said:

I have the TSO mag well on my DWX guns for reference. I have one with a Toni Systems magwell, no difference in below data.

With stock DWX pads or P10F/P09 mag base plates, you cannot over insert enough to hit ejector.

@Kmargetta@pumpedTSI or anyone else:
Can you confirm that the factory DWX red basepads work with the CZ TS magwell? (from Armory Craft)
What other +0 basepads work with that magwell?

I need it to fit the IDPA box as well.

Edited by ES13Raven

According to LOK, some of the recent-built non-OR models use CZ screws instead of 1911:

Full Size
-Prior to serial number X2302050 = 1911-threaded screws
-After X2302050 = CZ-threaded screws

On 8/28/2024 at 11:11 AM, ES13Raven said:

@Kmargetta@pumpedTSI or anyone else:
Can you confirm that the factory DWX red basepads work with the CZ TS magwell? (from Armory Craft)
What other +0 basepads work with that magwell?

I need it to fit the IDPA box as well.

They work and sit proud a little so it’s easy to seat them. 

Can anyone that has done the Shadow 2 extended mag release modification to the DWX comment as to how difficult this is? Do I need to ship this off for speciality work or is this just a simple drill and tap job that any gunsmith could handle?

4 hours ago, PCC_GUY said:

Can anyone that has done the Shadow 2 extended mag release modification to the DWX comment as to how difficult this is? Do I need to ship this off for speciality work or is this just a simple drill and tap job that any gunsmith could handle?

It’s a simple drill and tap job, just have him measure the spring hole depth and not drill so far that he cuts into it. It’s also a little long in my opinion if you just simply drill and tap only. Facing off some of the material first isn’t a bad call.

On 8/13/2024 at 11:48 AM, PCC_GUY said:

I have an optics ready DWX enroute. Someone mentioned the Double Alpha Flex holster many posts ago (on like page 48) of this thread, but I didn't see where they mentioned which insert block was used ("A" or "B"). With the DWX employing a CZ75-like lower it would make sense it would employ the "B" block since that is what Shadow 2s and similar models use, but given its a hybrid 2011 I wasn't sure if the "A" block might be the correct one since that block is specifically for 1911/2011s. Can anyone using the DAA Flex confirm which block?

Can confirm that it uses the Shadow (B) block.

On 8/22/2024 at 1:46 PM, ES13Raven said:

and for @TactDadBod - I've done a ton of tuning and shooting I was waiting for my uspsa LO Vudoo to come in, it honestly doesn't need a DPM, just throw a progressive 10# 1911 spring in or a 9# wolff if your ammo can cycle fine with it. 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:43 PM, CHA-LEE said:

I am doing a trigger job on a buddies DWX and used the standard EGW Trigger Kit (Sear, Hammer, Disconnector, Sear Spring, Hammer Spring) and everything in that kit worked just as it would for a normal 1911/2011. The trigger job turned out great except for not being able to adjust the Pre/Over travel using the stock DWX Trigger Bow.

Here is my Question for the DWX experts, does a standard 2011 Trigger Shoe/Bow setup work in the DWX? I didn't have an extra one laying around to test it out. The back portion of the trigger bow looks like it is shorter top to bottom than a standard 2011 Trigger bow and given that the bow is riding in a completely different frame (vs a 2011 style frame) the width of the bow is probably different as well. I can't confirm for sure since I don't have a standard trigger bow to compare it to. If a Standard 2011 Trigger Bow doesn't work, does anyone make an aftermarket trigger bow which has Pre/Over travel adjustments?

The other thing that confuses me about the stock DWX trigger shoe is that the back side of the trigger shoe is threaded for a set screw where the over travel screw would go in a standard 1911/2011 trigger shoe, but the screw hole doesn't go all the way out to the front of the shoe. The threads look 5-40 to me and I guess you could put a set screw in there threading in from the back side of the shoe. But then you would have to take the gun totally apart to adjust the over travel set screw. That is mega dumb if it was intentionally designed like that.

I apologize up front if this Trigger Bow question has already been answered in this thread. If it has please point me to the post. I don't have time to wade through the current 55 pages of posts to dig for the answer. Thanks in advance to all of the DWX Experts willing to help!!!

Did you have to hand fit a new safety after putting in the ignition kit? That was my hesitation on installing it, I'm not a 1911 die but everyone says if you change the Sear you're going to have to hand fit a new safety

On 8/12/2024 at 3:21 AM, Archer said:

It may be worthwhile to point out a couple of the differences between the optic ready DWX and the previous model. The first difference is that the optic ready model appears to have dropped the interconnection tube that EGW was using in its ambi safety.  Another difference is that it uses standard CZ grip screws rather than the 1911 grip screws used by the non-optic version. Also, there appears to be an upgrade to the finish on the barrel which appears relatively impervious to wear compared to the previous model. And finally, my LOK magwells were able to be slipped directly onto the frames of both my DWX-OR’s with perfect fit. The previous model has several accounts of people needing to use a mallet or modify the magwell to fit. 

Have you heard anything about the serial number change? I just bought an Optics ready in late August and the serial number is dwx000026, obviously this is much different than every other dwx serial number. Also can you elaborate on what the interconnection tube is? Sorry I'm not a 1911 guy and I already had my gun apart so I'm somewhat familiar with all the internals

13 hours ago, Marven1999 said:

Have you heard anything about the serial number change? I just bought an Optics ready in late August and the serial number is dwx000026, obviously this is much different than every other dwx serial number. Also can you elaborate on what the interconnection tube is? Sorry I'm not a 1911 guy and I already had my gun apart so I'm somewhat familiar with all the internals

I don’t know anything at all about the serial number change except to note that is a very unusual circumstance to go right back to the very beginning of the sequence.

The interconnection tube I referenced can be seen in this image from EGW which at least at one time was the OEM for the part.  Obviously with a different geometry for the DWX.  Original DWX was specified with the silver tube inside the frame connecting the shaft of the AMB safety, current ones (at least my two examples which were built in June of this year, as well as a couple of others I have worked on for friends) have dispensed with this extra part.    

I have very large hands and a high hold, resulting in the right side lever smashing into the right index finger knuckle on engagement so I’ve been using the DWX single sided safeties on both of my DWX’s.  Much better.  Both of the replacement safeties required absolutely minimal fitting to the sears, literally a stroke of a fine ceramic stone.  Obviously if you change the actual sear, you will almost certainly have to change the safety fitting.  This is not rocket surgery, but it is also easy to screw up. If you don’t know what you’re doing.

We really need to get somebody to do an Atlas style shielded, wide shelf safety for these things.  Even one like the EGW in the photo would be better.

IMG_3051.jpeg

Edited by Archer

On 9/7/2024 at 8:12 PM, Marven1999 said:

Did you have to hand fit a new safety after putting in the ignition kit? That was my hesitation on installing it, I'm not a 1911 die but everyone says if you change the Sear you're going to have to hand fit a new safety

There is always the potential of needing to refit the Safety so that it engages the sear properly. These are not "Drop In" parts.