Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

On 3/18/2024 at 10:47 AM, 42ATK said:

Anyone have any leads on custom slide milling for DWXs? I have a pretty strong idea of what I want. I asked Stuart at CZC (since the pistol is there getting milled for an optic and getting a trigger job) and he gave me a slightly long timeline and I’m impatient lol. I won’t guaranteed get the slide cut (I want to shoot the pistol first) but was pondering what other options are out there…

Yep, if you're impatient, CZC probably isn't the way to go.  They've had my DWX for 5 months. They're doing slide cutting, comping the barrel, full on action job, etc. Luckily, I've got my new 2011 obsession to keep me busy while I wait.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t get the appeal of the DWX? Either you want a 2011 or you want a shadow. The shadows shape is better I get that and the 2011 triggers are some of the best. I understand these two things but the slide on the DWX would be the downside for me if I was a shadow guy.

I have shot 2011's for a while now and moved to the DWX from my Staccatto P Tuxedo......these are the things I like.....external extractor vs the "tuned" 2011 extractor which needs adjustment after a few thousand rounds (PITA). Ramped non link barrel, no grip safety, cheap(er) quality mags with actual round count holes in the rear vs 5/10/15. CZ grip which feels better for me than the straight back 2011. 1911 trigger and triple leg sear spring. Multiple grip options.

I shoot both very well but like the DWX better and shoot it better in a short time using it. No more mag or extractor issues.DWX11.thumb.jpg.edc2726ff88143c78c93863106d097bb.jpg 

16 hours ago, pumpedTSI said:

I had my slide lightened and laser cut at Guncuts.com.....they have done quite a few for me and do a great job.

The DWX looks great.  Guncuts.com wasn't on my radar.  The are now.  Thanks!

16 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

I don’t get the appeal of the DWX? Either you want a 2011 or you want a shadow. The shadows shape is better I get that and the 2011 triggers are some of the best. I understand these two things but the slide on the DWX would be the downside for me if I was a shadow guy.

You kinda answered your own question: we're looking for the best of both worlds.🙂

On 3/20/2024 at 8:19 PM, Twilk73 said:

It shoots as soft or softer than any 2011 I have owned and is still the most accurate gun I’ve ever shot. Wish there was more parts support though. 

2 minutes ago, Posvar said:

It shoots as soft or softer than any 2011 I have owned and is still the most accurate gun I’ve ever shot. Wish there was more parts support though. 

What he said,,,,,,,,,,,

So I’m trying to figure out where I can buy a lighter spring for my DWX. I was doing some doubles and my second shots were coming in low - it feels like the muzzle is dipping so I want to spring it a little less

On 3/23/2024 at 3:58 PM, Posvar said:

Wish there was more parts support though. 

I really wish they'd at least make an extended safety available.  The thin, stock safety was an interesting choice by the DW folks.

I really dont have an issue with the stock safety OTHER than the two hands needed to push it and release the mag.....WAAAY to strong a spring......I stretched the stock release spring and cut about 2 coils off....now its perfect

2 hours ago, pumpedTSI said:

I really dont have an issue with the stock safety OTHER than the two hands needed to push it and release the mag.....WAAAY to strong a spring......I stretched the stock release spring and cut about 2 coils off....now its perfect

Yep, my safety was the same way. CZC made it right.

Just got my DWX back from CZC. Initial impressions are: It's sexy and the action is vastly improved and they did a good job adjusting my overly stiff safety. Looking forward to trying it out, hopefully this Friday.

For those wondering, it took 5 months, door to door. Communication with Stuart was great. I did have 2 hiccups along the way tho. First one was that the slide cuts were suppose to be left raw/bare to let me decide whether to keep them that way or to coat them. That didn't happen and the slide was refinished before I could chose what to do. And 2nd, I sent my SRO in with the gun - I couldn't for the life of me get one of the mounting screws out, I even broke a hex head trying. I asked Stuart to have his guys remove it. They did, but the SRO was returned inoperable. Stuart did let me know that had happened but left it at that. I'll send it in to Trijicon for repair and see what they say. Luckily, I had a spare I could throw on today. 

I'll report back re: how it shoots with comped barrel. Oh, before anyone asks, the total for slide cuts and comp, tapped mag release and button and complete action job was $1334. 

DWX

DWX

DWX

Edited by Seakphotog

3 hours ago, Seakphotog said:

I really wish they'd at least make an extended safety available.  The thin, stock safety was an interesting choice by the DW folks.

I’m with you! 

That pistol looks great.....congrats! The only other "issue" when the gun has an optic mounted is the extractor pin...it needs to be shortened since it now contacts the bottom of the optic base or plate if you have one. This means the optic needs removed to remove the optic...PITA. I actually drilled a relief hole in my optic mounting plate to allow the pin to pass thru into the plate, this means while I still need to remove the optic to remove the pin, now I dont need to also remove the plate. I probably wont remove/change the extractor but once a year so its probably ok.

Now that I have cut the slide the balance is very good and it transitions well for a full size gun.....very controllable and very accurate.

Has anyone spent some time with Wilson combat springs in their DWX? Did you need to trim the spring at all?

20240402_155528.jpg

Edited by BMSMB

1 hour ago, pumpedTSI said:

That pistol looks great.....congrats! The only other "issue" when the gun has an optic mounted is the extractor pin...it needs to be shortened since it now contacts the bottom of the optic base or plate if you have one. This means the optic needs removed to remove the optic...PITA. I actually drilled a relief hole in my optic mounting plate to allow the pin to pass thru into the plate, this means while I still need to remove the optic to remove the pin, now I dont need to also remove the plate. I probably wont remove/change the extractor but once a year so its probably ok.

Now that I have cut the slide the balance is very good and it transitions well for a full size gun.....very controllable and very accurate.

Thanks and yeah, the extractor pin being cut and blocked is definitely a downside to milling slides.