Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT honcho race shop

lroy

I know I’m a little late to this thread. But I’m looking at getting a honcho.  Everything I’ve read about them is leaning me more to them than the atlas Athena.  I want to have a gun I can run .40 in limited, shoot 3gun and Steel challenges.  And it looks like the honcho would do this.  Is there any reason someone would choose the Atlas over the honcho?   

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know I’m a little late to this thread. But I’m looking at getting a honcho.  Everything I’ve read about them is leaning me more to them than the atlas Athena.  I want to have a gun I can run .40 in limited, shoot 3gun and Steel challenges.  And it looks like the honcho would do this.  Is there any reason someone would choose the Atlas over the honcho?   

If you want to participate in all three games competitively then yes PT HONCHO is the best option

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

If you want to participate in all three games competitively then yes PT HONCHO is the best option

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Right on.  Would you go with the honcho race shop or the 3 gun ?  

The race shop and the 3-gun are the same gun (as far as I know), it's just that the 3-gun is prepackaged with all the barrels, tac-rail, optic, etc.

You could build the same gun via the race shop and leave off some things in the 3-gun package that maybe you didn't want to potentially save a little money.

I think it just matters whether the package offers value to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Right on.  Would you go with the honcho race shop or the 3 gun ?  

Race shop allows you a la carte options. So you can buy the limited gun with just one barrel. Go with just the single port comp. get the frame threaded and then run open later. Or just build an open gun with one 9 major or one 38 sc barrel.
Allows you a lot of options without breaking the bank and buying the 2 limited barrels and 2 open barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

Race shop allows you a la carte options. So you can buy the limited gun with just one barrel. Go with just the single port comp. get the frame threaded and then run open later. Or just build an open gun with one 9 major or one 38 sc barrel.
Allows you a lot of options without breaking the bank and buying the 2 limited barrels and 2 open barrels

That’s what I was thinking too.  You would recommend getting the slide tapped? I don’t plan on shooting open any time soon but it’s something I might want to get into later on.  I appreciate everyone’s input and help.   

That’s what I was thinking too.  You would recommend getting the slide tapped? I don’t plan on shooting open any time soon but it’s something I might want to get into later on.  I appreciate everyone’s input and help.   

Well you could shoot open with a slide ride optic but I wouldn’t. I’d get the frame tapped so you can mount a frame mounted dot eventually and then shoot open.
You could just run a slide mounted optic as well or not.
But I’d get as much done to it as I could without having to send it back later.
Especially if you cut it or still and tap, you’d have to get it recoated

5 minutes ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

Well you could shoot open with a slide ride optic but I wouldn’t. I’d get the frame tapped so you can mount a frame mounted dot eventually and then shoot open.
You could just run a slide mounted optic as well or not.
But I’d get as much done to it as I could without having to send it back later.
Especially if you cut it or still and tap, you’d have to get it recoated

That makes sense. I’ll get everything I can during the build so I won’t regret not having it done in the future.  Looks like their lead times are around 20 weeks so I’ll have some time to sell off a gun to help offset the expense.   The worst part will be waiting ! 

That makes sense. I’ll get everything I can during the build so I won’t regret not having it done in the future.  Looks like their lead times are around 20 weeks so I’ll have some time to sell off a gun to help offset the expense.   The worst part will be waiting ! 
Waiting is the worst, I've only been waiting a little over a month for mine and it feels like an eternity lol

1 minute ago, jschweg said:

Waiting is the worst, I've only been waiting a little over a month for mine and it feels like an eternity lol

Oh I know what you mean.  Waiting for a gun to get to the FFL is the worst but then so worth it in the end. 

Oh I know what you mean.  Waiting for a gun to get to the FFL is the worst but then so worth it in the end. 
It'll be worth it though, PT is great and they really care about their products and customers.

17 minutes ago, jschweg said:

It'll be worth it though, PT is great and they really care about their products and customers.

Everyone that I’ve talked to that work with or for PT have been nothing but awesome.  Their CS seems to be top notch.   I’m hoping to get an order in for the race shop honcho soon.

Tapping the frame would also let you have a thumb rest if you want one in limited even if you don’t do a frame mount optic in open.

17 minutes ago, vault13 said:

Tapping the frame would also let you have a thumb rest if you want one in limited even if you don’t do a frame mount optic in open.

That’s a good point! I haven’t thought about that. The only thumb rest I’ve used was on the CZ TSO.  But I can see how they could help especially shooting .40.  Thanks for the advice. 

I just got to play with a honcho yesterday for the first time and I’m very excited for my gun to arrive. Fit and finish were excellent based on a quick look over. The balance was great and I’m super excited to get mine in August/September.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, geraldskip said:

I just got to play with a honcho yesterday for the first time and I’m very excited for my gun to arrive. Fit and finish were excellent based on a quick look over. The balance was great and I’m super excited to get mine in August/September.

When did you order? 

On 6/18/2020 at 9:03 PM, japarker82 said:

When did you order? 

I ordered in February, so I’m guessing 6 months for me to get a gun. 

My friend ordered his on Black Friday. He also mentioned he got some sort of coupon with his gun so he was 100% happy with the weight and he loves his gun so far. 

I like it too. I was nervous to buy a custom gun sight unseen, but after playing with his, I’m confident I made the right choice. 

• 9 months later...

I should be getting my honcho within the next two weeks.  To say I’m w

excited is an understatement.  But I have a couple questions.  Those of you who have the honcho, who holsters are you rocking ?  I bought the 4 barrel set up. I’ll mostly be running .40 limited for USPSA and 9 sight blocker for 3gun.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

22 hours ago, Zack15 said:

I should be getting my honcho within the next two weeks.  To say I’m w

excited is an understatement.  But I have a couple questions.  Those of you who have the honcho, who holsters are you rocking ?  I bought the 4 barrel set up. I’ll mostly be running .40 limited for USPSA and 9 sight blocker for 3gun.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

I’m using the DAA race master also mostly because I used it for my previous set up and only needed to change the insert for it to work. 

Thank you guys for the feedback.  I’m thinking the DAA for USPSA and the Weber for 3gun.  Anyone have a preference on *thumb rest [generic]*? I have my frame drilled and tapped to run it for open but I would like the run a *thumb rest [generic]* or something similar for limited.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated