Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT honcho race shop

lroy

Hey guys,

Was looking into higher end 2011s as a gift for hitting a professional milestone. I'd like to stay in 9mm and was looking towards an atlas titan, but came across Phoenix Trinities race shop to customize a honcho.

Looks like you can put together a really nice steel grip 2011 for almost $1000 less than a new titan. (Or 2k less than a hyperion). It seems like a quality product, but I understand they're fairly new and I can't seem to find much feedback on them.

Does anyone have experience with a limited honcho or their raceshop? How does the fit and finish compare to an atlas? Obviously there's no refunds so the uncertainty is giving me me pause.

Edited by lroy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

Was looking into higher end 2011s as a gift for hitting a professional milestone. I'd like to stay in 9mm and was looking towards an atlas titan, but came across Phoenix Trinities race shop to customize a honcho.

Looks like you can put together a really nice steel grip 2011 for almost $1000 less than a new titan. (Or 2k less than a hyperion). It seems like a quality product, but I understand they're fairly new and I can't seem to find much feedback on them.

Does anyone have experience with a limited honcho or their raceshop? Obviously there's no refunds so the uncertainty is giving me me pause.
Honestly, if you're shooting 9mm get an STI edge and keep the cost down. Are you competing in 3 gun or USPSA?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Honestly, if you're shooting 9mm get an STI edge and keep the cost down. Are you competing in 3 gun or USPSA?

Both. I also do like the honcho option to swap barrels from 9mm to a 40 later down the road when more funds become available.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. I'm sure in the end, the gun won't make much of a difference. Was more about treating myself than a performance edge, I suppose.

Edited by lroy

Both. I also do like the honcho option to swap barrels from 9mm to a 40 later down the road when more funds become available.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. I'm sure in the end, the gun won't make much of a difference. Was more about treating myself than a performance edge, I suppose.

if you're going to do both I'd strongly suggest having them fit an extra 40 barrel. It's an option with their new Standard level gun. Then you can race with major pf whenever you do uspsa. They have the best entry level price right now

11 minutes ago, lroy said:

Hey guys,

Does anyone have experience with a limited honcho or their raceshop? How does the fit and finish compare to an atlas? Obviously there's no refunds so the uncertainty is giving me me pause.

I will probably be buying a .40 Race ready Honcho at some point. I've had 2 Atlas'. They were great but I think the Honcho is the way to go. There's a couple shooters here that have got a lot of rounds down range thru theirs! I'm sure they will chime in. 

I will probably be buying a .40 Race ready Honcho at some point. I've had 2 Atlas'. They were great but I think the Honcho is the way to go. There's a couple shooters here that have got a lot of rounds down range thru theirs! I'm sure they will chime in. 
yea I agree. their one piece comp and barrel just makes sense. Also, everyone is using their parts. I'm also very intrigued by their honcho tech with the screw for the mounts

43 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

May I ask what makes you lean towards the honcho vs the atlas' you previously owned?

21 hours ago, B_RAD said:

The price. 

I believe the quality will be the same or better.

Yeah the price is very competitive. I was mainly between a used titan or new honcho. 

It seems like the front sight block would be more comparable to a nemesis, though?  At that point the honcho becomes a far better deal.

I'm not sure what the differences would be other than the nemesis weight is entirely balanced around a 40 rather than being interchangeable. 

40 minutes ago, MacLethal said:

I will say the price on those is very attractive. If they can pump out orders fairly quick in comparison they are going to put a hurt on some of the other builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 week lead time as of now, and since they manufacture almost everything themselves,  the lead time shouldn't increase too much unless they have a machine go down. 

Yeah. Only thing really giving me pause is I haven't held one and can't seem to find many reviews by guys that aren't sponsored by them. While a great price, it's still a lot for a blind buy with no returns.

Yeah. Only thing really giving me pause is I haven't held one and can't seem to find many reviews by guys that aren't sponsored by them. While a great price, it's still a lot for a blind buy with no returns.

Being able to put hands on one would be nice. I’m sure it’s the same as a typical 2011 grip/frame wise.

1 hour ago, lroy said:

Where are you located? 
You might be able to fondle one at a match near you. 

Honcho is gonna be the best bang for buck unless you want something actually custom. Custom being you design the slide cuts, you pick how the trigger is shaped, stuff like that. Other then that stuff ALL the 2011s are the same gun with different builders doing certain "extra" fitting, polishing, and marketing gimmicks. 

Honcho is gonna be the best bang for buck unless you want something actually custom. Custom being you design the slide cuts, you pick how the trigger is shaped, stuff like that. Other then that stuff ALL the 2011s are the same gun with different builders doing certain "extra" fitting, polishing, and marketing gimmicks. 

You’ll see differences in blending and overall quality of work that won’t necessarily make the gun run better but after you’ve seen one that has really been gone over with detail it’s hard to go back. Berger Precision is building mine this winter.

If I wasn’t having him build one I’d hop on the Honcho train I think.

milestone? 

get an SVI for race or if it is an occasional shooter check out Bunker Arms, he can a master piece. 

Honcho and Atlas are not high end guns.

Edited by Avenida

11 hours ago, Avenida said:

milestone? 

get an SVI for race or if it is an occasional shooter check out Bunker Arms, he can a master piece. 

Well it's a bit relative I suppose. Coming from a cz, either a titan or honcho seem amazing.

An svi would be a dream, but not something I can reasonably afford quite yet. Hopefully the next milestone might see one for me!

Edited by lroy

milestone? 

Disagree, I've handled 3 Honchos and I'd say they are quite high end. Atlas felt nice but I wouldn't buy one due to friends experiences with the company.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've been looking into this a lot and decided I'm going to hold off on the race shop. I've not been able to find any reviews or comparisons . The only feedback  I'm able to pull up are posts saying they held a honcho once and it felt lt nice.

A 3300 blind buy with no returns is far too much a risk. I'd rather save a bit more and go with something proven than try to save some money and possibly regret it.

Edited by lroy

I've been looking into this a lot and decided I'm going to hold off on the race shop. I've not been able to find any reviews or comparisons . The only feedback  I'm able to pull up are posts saying they held a honcho once and it felt lt nice.

A 3300 blind buy with no returns is far too much a risk. I'd rather save a bit more and go with something proven than try to save some money and possibly regret it.

What state are you in? I know a few guys with them in AL/GA/FL. I'm sure someone would let you shoot one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, lroy said:

I could be wrong but I don't know any gun manufacturer (other than Walther) that lets you return a firearm.  Now granted, buying custom vs. buying off the shelf is different but as stated previously, Phoenix is making a lot of the parts that other manufacturers have on their pistols.  It probably wouldn't be a big stretch to find someone with the grip or frame etc. and see how they feel before completely writing it off.