Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT honcho race shop

lroy

3 hours ago, af_tt said:

What state are you in? I know a few guys with them in AL/GA/FL. I'm sure someone would let you shoot one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm in Atlanta GA.

26 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

I could be wrong but I don't know any gun manufacturer (other than Walther) that lets you return a firearm.  Now granted, buying custom vs. buying off the shelf is different but as stated previously, Phoenix is making a lot of the parts that other manufacturers have on their pistols.  It probably wouldn't be a big stretch to find someone with the grip or frame etc. and see how they feel before completely writing it off.

For sure. I definitely understand why there are no refunds, but that makes the lack of assurance around the product a cause of concern. Maybe some people can take a chance, but Its a lot of money for me... I'd feel safer going with a more established brand that I know holds resale value.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Follow me on Instagram. I have a pretty good video on IG tv about it. 
devilsdengunworks. 

but PT was in the aerospace industry manufacturing stuff for that for a long time. Got into the gun industry making parts which a lot of the boutique builders use. 
Atlas being one. But You name it. Most of them have PT parts or the main one you see on many guns is either the evo grip or the frame. Or both. The only exception I know of might be limcat. And definitely sv infinity. Sv makes everything in house. 
the gun rocks. I know a bunch of dudes in the Atlanta area (myself included) that will let your shoot one if you want. 
we will be shooting at south river gun club all day Sunday for Uspsa. if you’re free swing on through and we’ll let you throw a couple mags through it. 
if this is a gift for treat yo self I’d go with the pt. The fit is 👌and it shoots even better. 
I used to have an atlas. Now I don’t and I have 2 honchos. If you want to know anything more specific please feel free to message me. 

Edited by 2Alphamikenoshoot

9 hours ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

I used to have an atlas. Now I don’t and I have 2 honchos

@2Alphamikenoshoot Which Atlas did you have? just out of curiosity. Would I be able to find it on your Instagram?

I'm personally super interested in the new single port comp barrel for a 3-gun open gun. The price is appealing vs the Erebus/Hyperion/Athena, since you can spec it out to be pretty versatile (switching between sights, frame mounted optics, slide mounted optics, comp for open major, comp for open minor, sight block barrel, etc.).

Also curious about what people think about the aluminum Evo grip vs the aluminum Cheely grip that Atlas has been using. I hear mixed impressions from people... some think the Evo grip is too aggressive, but some like it. It seemed like Atlas went with the Cheely when they started making the lighter 3-gun oriented models, because PT didn't have an aluminum Evo at the time.

Despite the price, one thing Atlas definitely has is flat shooting guns. The videos you can find online of the Hyperion and Erebus show really, really flat shooting guns. Would be cool to see some videos of the Honcho with the new single port comp.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

@2Alphamikenoshoot Which Atlas did you have? just out of curiosity. Would I be able to find it on your Instagram?

Atlas chaos.

I'm personally super interested in the new single port comp barrel for a 3-gun open gun. The price is appealing vs the Erebus/Hyperion/Athena, since you can spec it out to be pretty versatile (switching between sights, frame mounted optics, slide mounted optics, comp for open major, comp for open minor, sight block barrel, etc.).

I talk about this on my IG tv post.

Also curious about what people think about the aluminum Evo grip vs the aluminum Cheely grip that Atlas has been using. I hear mixed impressions from people... some think the Evo grip is too aggressive, but some like it. It seemed like Atlas went with the Cheely when they started making the lighter 3-gun oriented models, because PT didn't have an aluminum Evo at the time.

You can get the evo grip in slightly less aggressive textures. They’ll sand blast them for coating and things like that which does reduce the profile on the grips. In my opinion the pt evo was the first grip like that. After it became so popular the rest followed suit and are kind of just posers. The other grips are so similar looking.
I personally like the aggressive grip. No chalk or pro grip required. And I shoot a lot in the south east where it’s triple digits and humid quite frequently.

Despite the price, one thing Atlas definitely has is flat shooting guns. The videos you can find online of the Hyperion and Erebus show really, really flat shooting guns. Would be cool to see some videos of the Honcho with the new single port comp.

I don’t really shoot limited much anymore. I’ll see if I can get some video of that set up.
I’ll say that the open configuration is ridiculous. I can almost have just one sight picture. And as long as I have good trigger control rip 2 rounds off as fast as I can and I’ll have fiat size groups even at 20 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, lroy said:

I'm in Atlanta GA.

For sure. I definitely understand why there are no refunds, but that makes the lack of assurance around the product a cause of concern. Maybe some people can take a chance, but Its a lot of money for me... I'd feel safer going with a more established brand that I know holds resale value.

There a QUITE a few Honchos in your area! Might I suggest contacting Phoenix Trinity and maybe they can set you up with someone in your area so you can test drive one? 

although I’m a little partial to pt, I would buy this in a heartbeat. It’s almost too good to pass up. I’m all about a deal and this is definitely one of the best deals out there. I didn’t see the market for the honcho as it sat originally. But now that you can pick and choose what you want and don’t want its a winner I think. And I agree with previous posters, any custom gun had basically no return policy anyway so I dont see how that is a turn off. Im ready to sell my limited gun and buy a 9/40 combo. It still comes in less than an atlas titan. Same lead time ( if that’s realistic) probably better quality knowing pt’s history and what they put out. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Giving Discounts from Phonix Trinity

I have been following the thread above about potentially ordering a Honcho, given the potential advantages with multiple barrels, disciplines etc, but understand that PT are currently offering up to $1000 USD off all orders over the Thanks Giving weekend !

Means you can get a 3 gun for $4k and Open Gun for $5k (limited time offer), or I believe that you can get 2 extra barrels for free if you 'build your own'.

Sounds like a fab deal for anyone still interested, although build timelines may push out a little to 14 weeks.

8 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

How is this discount working?  I'm not seeing anything about it on the website.

The prices shown already reflect the discounts.  No discount codes needed. It’s already plugged into the build sheet.  You select

the 2 extra barrels you want and there is no extra charge.   If your getting one of the packages the price shown is what they are.  4 and 5k respectively.  If you had seen them earlier this week they were 5 and 6k respectively.  

I'm kicking myself for buying on Veteran's Day. I will never order something this expensive not on black friday again. missing a $500 free barrel by 2 weeks sucks. heh
Ask them to match it. Your money is no different 2 weeks ago than today

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Ask them to match it. Your money is no different 2 weeks ago than today

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I tried. No dice...

Apparently there is some deal for current Honcho owners too, but I don't know what it is/can't access it since I don't have the gun yet and can't login to their private forum.

20 hours ago, IronicTwitch said:

+1, I could have really used the single port 9 barrel for Open minor for indoor league

I bought one, but paid for it.

Honestly, all of the little differences on the builder add up a lot too. A lot of the charges on there are more than what they would be if you just bought the parts separately. For example, the optics plates/mounts, the cost difference between the aluminum & steel grips, etc. are all higher on the builder than if you just look at their standalone prices.

My order is almost $5k for a good bit less than what other people are paying now & they get included optics plates, more than one safety, multiple caliber barrels, etc. (I went with one each of every 9mm barrel.)

IMO, the 3-gun version should ditch the .40 cal and come with the single port comp. I'm biased though since I don't like .40 and strongly prefer shooting with optics over irons. My current order is basically that + added holes in the frame so that I could switch to a frame mount or add a thumb rest if I wanted to, but without the vortex optic they ship with. People buying the 3-gun model right now will be paying almost $1000 less.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:27 PM, lroy said:

Yeah. Only thing really giving me pause is I haven't held one and can't seem to find many reviews by guys that aren't sponsored by them. While a great price, it's still a lot for a blind buy with no returns.

I own the Honcho and am not a sponsored shooter. I would highly recommend buying one. I run 40 in uspsa limited, 9 sight block for steel challenge, and am getting into open with 9 major barrel. And all this for then cost of what would be one atlas gun

On 12/29/2019 at 11:08 AM, Robertwil18 said:

Hopefully only about 3 more weeks until I can shoot my Honcho!  Looking forward to the ability to shoot the same pistol in both Limited and Open configurations.  

Start making some ammo now so you don’t have to wait when it shows up, you can go right to the range 

• 4 weeks later...
Hopefully only about 3 more weeks until I can shoot my Honcho!  Looking forward to the ability to shoot the same pistol in both Limited and Open configurations.  

Bringing this post back from the dead a little.

Did you get your Honcho? What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jschweg said:

Bringing this post back from the dead a little.

Did you get your Honcho? What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have not got the call just yet.  I received an email that production was somewhat delayed due to issues with one of the coating or finishing shops.  Not a big deal.  I got a standby notification for deployment and thought I was going to be downrange for a while, but it turns out I won't be for now.  I don't mind waiting another couple weeks.  Looking forward to running this thing when it arrives!  Getting antsy for sure!