Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plantar fasciitis

MacLethal

• 4 weeks later...

Visited my well regarded local podiatrist. 

Got an xray of my feet and had a pretty thorough exam. He made the following statements to me:

1) Most people do mostly the right thing most of the time. 

2) Insoles, foot rollers, icing are treating the symptoms not the cause. They don't make anything worse but in and of themselves, they won't solve the problem.

3) Deep calf stretches for 5 mins intervals (per calf) three times a day (15mins total daily) every day will solve the issue for "most people" in 3-4 months.

4) Icing at the end of the day before sleep can help the inflammation the following morning. 

5) Deep tissue massage in the calves and feet by a legitimate massage therapist can help accelerate the process. It's gonna hurt though.

6) Cortizone and/or surgury are last resorts. This guy is actually rated as one of the best podiatric surgeons in TX too.

I have to follow a stretching regimen every day and I have a follow-up appointment in three weeks. Keep in mind this was all related to my specific diagnosis. I don't have major inflammation, no heel spurs, and the condition has been present less than 6 months. 

2 hours ago, Reds_Dot said:

3) Deep calf stretches for 5 mins intervals (per calf) three times a day (15mins total daily) every day will solve the issue for "most people" in 3-4 months.

That and lots of Motrin worked for me. I bought one of the cheap triangle foam thingies off amazon that you stand on with toes pointed way up. Few times a day for only a month or so and have not had problems since.

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That and lots of Motrin worked for me. I bought one of the cheap triangle foam thingies off amazon that you stand on with toes pointed way up. Few times a day for only a month or so and have not had problems since.

I am trying to avoid NSAIDS (Aspirin, Ibuprofen [like Motrin], Naproxen, are the most common) if I can. I respond very well to them but they are hard on your liver and kidneys and taking large continual doses over a lengthy time can permanently reduce kidney function and reduce liver effectiveness. Fun side effect for me is that too many NSAIDS in a short period of time makes my feet swell. 

• 5 months later...

I know everyone is different, but a good friend of mine suffered from this as well. It hindered him in his career. He swore that nothing helped and he just pushed through it. However, he switched to Hoka shoes and he swore by them. Said it was night and day. I obviously can’t give you a great take on it as it’s second hand, but it may be worth a look. Best of luck. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The worst possible thing I did was shove a bunch of heel raising insoles into my shoes. They might give temporary relief but they just make the problem worse. 

Get your heel down as low as possible. For a long time in was wearing speedcrosses without the insole. 

Yes there is an acclimation process so stretches, tennins ball,massage through the calf , ice ect can all help but realigning the muscle and tendon structure so it doesn't cause the problem in the first place is the only real way beat it and not simple cover it up.

Edited by JsK

• 6 months later...

I can't stress how important orthotics are - after 18 years in the Army, jumping out of planes, and 4 deployments to Iraq/Afghanistan, my feet are completely flat.  The only way I'm able to do USPSA or any physical activity is through custom orthotics that were made for my feet.  Green Feet off the shelf can work but custom orthotics are the way to go.  I should also note, I had to do years of physical therapy to get things strong and balances from my toes all the way to my neck.

I'm fighting plantar factitious right now.. c. 3 months and its really messed up my game. Good news is I  know what helps and what doesnt.

first: I was using merrill moab trail shoes that have great arch support.. and it that arch support that pushed on the most painful part of my heel where the plantar connects.
I tried the gel inserts and didn't help. neither did stretching, hand massaging, baseball.. One of the ranges I shoot has deep gravel on most of the bays.. and it seems that really hurts. maybe 1 stage before the pain starts... It got bad enough I has to scale back on RO'ing and resetting so I could get off my feet.
So on my list of things not to do: no Merrill Moabs. no gravel bays.

second: Things that help
I got a Renpho foot massager off ebay that does the roller action on your soles. 30-45 minutes first thing in AM and again in the evening while resting got rid of the morning pain after 2-3 weeks.  I also got one on the impact massagers. also helps.. and then one of my kids got me a pair of fuzzy crocks for Christmas. and they really cup your heel and I haven't taken them off since - inside, outside. And at matches I sit down more often.   Now i can shoot 4-5 stages pain free. my the last stages and during tear down  Im feeling it - but not like it was.

Not sure about what to do for match shoes.. I really like my moabs. I dont think crocks are a good idea for uspsa.

Yep, this got me after an outdoor match about two years ago.  Made the mistake of wearing some wore out Salomon boots without insoles.  Took nearly a year for it to do away.  It still bothers me after a match, but goes away the next day.  Now I stretch my calves daily and always wear good shoes/insoles.  I tried the Good Feet Store and their $1200 orthotics.  I think they were a waste of money.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Yep, this got me after an outdoor match about two years ago.  Made the mistake of wearing some wore out Salomon boots without insoles.  Took nearly a year for it to do away.  It still bothers me after a match, but goes away the next day.  Now I stretch my calves daily and always wear good shoes/insoles.  I tried the Good Feet Store and their $1200 orthotics.  I think they were a waste of money.

Good Feet Store is definitely a waste of money.

• 2 months later...

I developed plantar fasciitis while playing college football. The first time it really flared up I would have swore I broke my heel. Lots of good advice in these posts. What has helped me the most is finding the shoe brands that seem to mesh with my feet best. For me that has been most of the Nike running line and Saucony. Once you find a brand that works just stick with it. Deep tissue foot and calf massages also helped out a lot. They are painful at the time, but provide real relief for a good period after. I've also used compression sleeves (under a good pair of socks) and inserts from heel that pain (HTP), which I haven't seen mentioned yet. They are a half insert that provides a soft cup for the heel and a firm, raised bar under the arch to keep pressure on the plantar fascia which seems to really help during activity. Long term a good stretching routine seems to be the best road to recovery.

• 2 months later...

When it hit me I had no idea what was going on. Went to podiatrist and he gave me a boot to wear at night to keep my toes up. Told me to get some Sole brand inserts and some Crocs. I always thought crocs were the goofiest looking things I ever saw but now I wear them whenever I don’t have work or regular shoes on. My work boots were wore out and that’s what started it. At one time I thought I was going to have to literally crawl across the yard to get to the house because of the pain. I just had a little flair up two months ago and it was caused by wearing old crappy walking shoes. Some stretching, rolling and different shoes stopped it from getting bad. Those inserts wear out too so don’t forget about them.  Another thing that’s interesting to try is to put on an old pair of shoes/boots that you haven’t worn for a year or better. You’ll quickly find out what made your feet, back, knees hurt by how they are worn at angles you didn’t realize or notice. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Adding to this, I had it for many years. The biggest change was my footwear. The brand is called LEMS, and the idea is to encourage foot muscle development. For years we have worn footwear, but in reality we were born to not wear them. After a week or two of wearing for walking the dog and running errands and my foot pain is gone. I've had the shots, twice, therapy, and the sleeping braces for when it was really bad. But this brand of shoe really helped my feet.

Good luck!