Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time going to nationals. Need advice from what you’ve learned the hard way!

This is my first time going to LIMITED nationals. Not so much the shooting part but dealing with everything else. I’ll be Shooting an incredibly reliable 2011.  

I got got the ammo shipment squared away but wanting to learn from others. 

I know the utah range is dusty dusty so I’m planning on keeping everything covered. Mags in ziplock bags, oil handy etc. 

what else?

Hit a dollar general, and grab a pack of the below. dirt cheap but work great over your gun or mags for that matter.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32821868252.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.205.626160ab8X2o2b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0_10130_453_454_10618_536_317_537_319_10059_10696_10084_10083_10547_10546_10887_10307_321_10548_322_10065_10068_10103_10884_10545,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=6db9f653-5d8c-465b-a1cc-92f8bbfbf303&algo_expid=6db9f653-5d8c-465b-a1cc-92f8bbfbf303-24
Personally I never reused mags that hit the dirt for a level II or up. had plenty to have enough loaded for the match. Especially if you consider your ULSC mag you can top off.  Makes for less stress  Check the stage round count. 
If not make sure you have a mag brush and can clean the ones that hit the dirt if you have to reuse them.
Far as parts, at minimum Id have a pre fit extractor, and slide stop and fiber optic rod plus a lighter and superglue if the front sight uses them.
If you like to party, party AFTER the match.  I jumped way up in the standings on day 2 and 3 as I think I was shooting against hungover and dehydrated people.
Also check the weather, you probably need to do some aclimatizing, get used to the heat and be well hydrated for match days.

Select your squad carefully - 

Extra parts for your gun, if not a spare gun

Too much ammo

Lots of food, beverage, etc

First aid kit

Two of everything

Get there as early as possible

Clothes/shoes for hot and cold and rainy weather

Something to sit on

Good luck, and have fun.

this is my frst nats there also, but i have been there a few times for Area matches. other than the annoying red sand that seems to stick to everything , ti was not really much different than any other match.   clean your mags at very frequently, drink lots of water and good shoes.  its still going to be in the 80 and 90 even in late September.  if you forget something, St george has a lot of stores like walmart, costco etc.  .Also park your rental car far away .  lots of richochets at SUPS and lots of broken auto glass from parking right behind the bays.

St George and SuPs are one of my favorite places to shoot matches.  i kinda hope nat will get picked up in Vegas again though

53 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

This match is being held in the desert: Plan for rain 😉

Also plan for :    Heat

Cold

Severe wind

Sandstorm

Insects

Intense sun

Bring a realistic performance expectation. There will likely be 250+ competitors in Limited division so don't flip out when you have a "Good" stage run and you are still 50th overall on the stage. The competitors finishing in the top 10 on stages are usually the same guys winning Area, National and World titles. Most first time Nationals competitors don't expect the huge slice of humble pie that comes along with attending.

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

I assume that range will have dust/sand to deal with?  I mean, I'm shooting a Glock but still. 

i bag my gun between stages at pretty much any major. major matches always seem to be much dustier than locals because the ground gets so much more churned up.

most of the time st george is beautiful shooting conditions. Sometimes for an hour or two, it isn't.

Long term weather forecast looks nice.  70ºish,   no rain.   That said I've seen it rain HARD at the range for no reason--be prepared.   One thing 

you can almost be sure of is afternoon wind.  If you are shooting PM, be prepared for wind.  I've seen it flatten a stage, and I've seen it suck one

up into an impressive whirlwind with targets hundreds of feet in the air. It's right at 3,000 ft elevation and desert---stay hydrated and don't forget the 

sunscreen.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

i bag my gun between stages at pretty much any major. major matches always seem to be much dustier than locals because the ground gets so much more churned up.

most of the time st george is beautiful shooting conditions. Sometimes for an hour or two, it isn't.

you working nats moto?

1 hour ago, Sandbagger123 said:

you working nats moto?

yes sir, stage 7 of the open/pcc match, with CRO George Jones. Very excited to learn from him. One of my favorite parts about working nationals is the experienced and knowledgeable folks I get to work under. Lee Cabana, Mark Weir, Ray Hirst, and John Hard over the last few years, and now George gets his chance to fix what is wrong with me.

2 hours ago, open17 said:

Long term weather forecast looks nice.  70ºish,   no rain.   That said I've seen it rain HARD at the range for no reason--be prepared.   One thing 

you can almost be sure of is afternoon wind.  If you are shooting PM, be prepared for wind.  I've seen it flatten a stage, and I've seen it suck one

up into an impressive whirlwind with targets hundreds of feet in the air. It's right at 3,000 ft elevation and desert---stay hydrated and don't forget the 

sunscreen.

70ish? Weather app says 94 for all days of the open match. I wish. 

Edited by OPENB

41 minutes ago, OPENB said:

70ish? Weather app says 94 for all days of the open match. I wish. 

But it's a dry heat?    70's might be a little optimistic.     It doesn't hit the high heat until mid afternoon.    I'm shooting AM/PM/AM to avoid

the heat and wind as  much as possible.

Edited by open17

On 9/12/2019 at 7:38 PM, motosapiens said:

yes sir, stage 7 of the open/pcc match, with CRO George Jones. Very excited to learn from him. One of my favorite parts about working nationals is the experienced and knowledgeable folks I get to work under. Lee Cabana, Mark Weir, Ray Hirst, and John Hard over the last few years, and now George gets his chance to fix what is wrong with me.

You will enjoy working with George - I have learned a TON from him over the years.

Is it worth staying for the awards/prize table? I have a 6:30AM flight home in Vegas the next morning, and have reserved a room on Fremont St. Tues. night to sight see, but if the prize table is worth it, I could stay.

5 hours ago, OPENB said:

Is it worth staying for the awards/prize table? I have a 6:30AM flight home in Vegas the next morning, and have reserved a room on Fremont St. Tues. night to sight see, but if the prize table is worth it, I could stay.

i think it would depend on how the prize table will work and if you are going to get an award.    if its all random  and you are not getting anything then might be time to head back.  

looks like prizes are order of finish 

Edited by Sandbagger123