Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Janz revo review

Tampa-XD45

I held and dry fired the stainless one capable of multiple caliber changes at the 2017 Shot Show. I believe i also held and dry fired this one or one very close to it (it was blued and not capable of swapping calibers).
Beautiful guns. Very well built. Triggers were excellent but not as good as my 627pc with the master action job from TK Custom.
Not worth the money they were asking, but still very nice.
The Korth Mongoose i dry fired in a booth just around the corner from the Janz booth had a surprisingly gritty and heavy trigger. Not as good as a new production N frame. But maybe it was just the rough floor model.

To me these guns are like Ferraris. Cool and beautiful but impractical and mostly made to be parked in a garage and not used, or to be the bling of the uber-wealthy. Not really interested in either of those purposes. I buy guns to shoot them.
However, if Janz were to make something priced under $2000, i would give it some serious attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've contacted all of these high end revolver manufacturers about making an 8 shot model, or an 8 shot 9mm or .38 cal cylinder conversion for competition use and haven't heard a peep back from any of them.

Paying anything over $2k for a 6 shot revolver is just crazy in my book and yes I've shot Korth, Manurhin revolvers for comparison.

It's like having a Ferrari and putting studded snow tires on it !

If I'm gonna spend that type of money, I want to use it, not look at it !

As was posted above, a S&W with a custom action + trigger job is on par and often exceeds most of the high end revolvers being made and for thousands + more less.

If Korth offered an 8 shot convertible 9mm revolver, I would be on the waiting list, as the durability + user friendly adjust-ability are worth the extra $$ to me.

Until them, I'll be using my blue collar 929's.

SJC 

• 1 year later...

Well, it's a year later... I was just looking at the Korth site, and they have 8 shot revolvers now in .38/.357, with optional fitted and tuned 9mm cylinder that swaps out without tools.  The trigger with bearings sounded interesting, so I thought I'd check here, and see if anyone had tried one in competition.  Kind of spendy, at $5199... if the triggers are still gritty, that would have to be a hard pass. 

I've been underwhelmed by every Korth I've ever handled. They're ok. But not better than my tuned S&W's. Just my opinion.

Some years ago, someone produced a S&W trigger/hammer replacement with ball bearing bushings. I can't recall who it was, though. 

On 9/30/2020 at 9:13 AM, Toolguy said:

That was Cylinder and Slide. I am hoping to have my hammer kit out before the end of the year. It is in the patent process now. It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks about it.

What is the trigger? and what is the ball park price?

The trigger pull will vary according to what rebound spring is in there. With only the trigger and rebound, hammer out, the trigger pull will be around 2 lb. with the lightest rebound spring, around 4 lb. with the factory rebound spring. All the other weights of rebound springs will be somewhere between those. These will be DA only to start with, although a DA/SA version is possible in the future. My prototype guns set up for Federal primers start at around 6 lb. and go down to around 2-1/2 lb. at the end. Essentially, the trigger pull just gets lighter until it's gone. You can dial it up to work with any primers, but will need a heavier rebound spring with a heavier mainspring setting, the same as it is now. It still goes down to whatever the rebound spring is by the end of the trigger pull.

The kit will probably be in the $200 to $250 range, I don't know what my cost will be yet, so can't set a firm price. I will be making them myself to start with, so if I get a lot of orders right off the bat, it will take a while to fill them all.

Edited by Toolguy

Years ago, I got to shoot a Sherman roller bearing Colt.  It was very nice when the roller rolled, but every once in a while, it would bind and skid with a heavy pull, usually generating an out shot.  

A friend bought one of those C&S roller bearing S&W kits.  It was good but no better than well honed conventional lockwork.  Kind of like "drop in" parts for an automatic.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, Toolguy said:

The trigger pull will vary according to what rebound spring is in there. With only the trigger and rebound, hammer out, the trigger pull will be around 2 lb. with the lightest rebound spring, around 4 lb. with the factory rebound spring. All the other weights of rebound springs will be somewhere between those. These will be DA only to start with, although a DA/SA version is possible in the future. My prototype guns set up for Federal primers start at around 6 lb. and go down to around 2-1/2 lb. at the end. Essentially, the trigger pull just gets lighter until it's gone. You can dial it up to work with any primers, but will need a heavier rebound spring with a heavier mainspring setting, the same as it is now. It still goes down to whatever the rebound spring is by the end of the trigger pull.

The kit will probably be in the $200 to $250 range, I don't know what my cost will be yet, so can't set a firm price. I will be making them myself to start with, so if I get a lot of orders right off the bat, it will take a while to fill them all.

2.5# DA? 

Is that for a SW929? 

If that is the case, please write down my user name, I will be one of the first to buy one. 

These will initially be for K,L, and N frame guns with the firing pin in the frame. If your gun already has a really nice action, 6 lb. or better, you probably don't need this.

There are fewer and fewer good revo smiths out there, widely scattered across the country. It's very expensive to ship a gun to any of them, usually with a several month waiting time. This product is mainly intended for the average person to have a good DA without the need to send their gun off for work. It allows the gun owner to set up their gun to their personal needs and preferences and make changes and adjustments as needed, rather than just having to make do with what someone else gives them.

Edited by Toolguy

On 10/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, Toolguy said:

Do you need buyers to sign up and maybe put down a deposit so you have a clear quantity of "first batch" to build ? I'm sure you'll get a decent bunch of us to do that.

That's a good idea. But I'm going to wait until the patent is filed, I have a good idea of the cost, and the whole project is closer to being ready to roll out before I take any money.

Once everything is ready to go, I'll just take orders and fill them. Thanks for the idea, though. That would be similar to "crowd funding" , which is working well for some new products.

Edited by Toolguy

On 9/30/2020 at 6:13 AM, Toolguy said:

I am hoping to have my hammer kit out before the end of the year. It is in the patent process now. It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks about it.

If you want to put me on your list, I'll definitely be interested in buying one of these kits, when they come out.  

• 1 month later...