Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duty Rifle muzzle brake

apetrulis01

I am looking for a new duty rifle muzzle brake. I am running a Daniel Defense M4V1 upper. Currently I have a surefire warcomp but I do not like it. The warcomp compensates too well and it feels as though my muzzle is dipping down after every shot. 

I have narrowed it down to the Surefire MB556 and the Lantac Dragon due to both of these being able to put the blast shields on them as well.

I have shot bought and feel as though they are pretty even but figured I would get some opinions from the group.

Thanks,

Adam

Actual LE duty? The conventional wisdom generally steers people towards flash hiders due to the excessive concussion from those brakes, especially the Lantac. It's brutal to RO for someone with a Dragon even when I've got double ear pro. Imagine lighting that thing off inside a structure/vehicle without ear pro. Say goodbye to your hearing forever.

Are you wearing ear pro 100% of the time when you deploy your rifle? If not, you should probably consider the Surefire SF3P flash hider which can also mount the Warden Blast Shield.

By far the best duty/work rifle comp available. I have tried almost all of the ones listed and recommended, and I have just recently tried this one, and hands down it is the best one made. Complete flash suppression, all blast directed out the front, actually quieter behind the rifle than a standard A2, and I would say about 90% of compensation of a Rolling Thunder or J.P. 3 chambered comp!.....I don't have any connection with them at all, but this device is now what sits on my teaching rifle!

https://www.ng2defense.com/products/mzlmax-afd-muzzle-manager

Edited by kurtm

15 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

I am looking for a new duty rifle muzzle brake. I am running a Daniel Defense M4V1 upper. Currently I have a surefire warcomp but I do not like it. The warcomp compensates too well and it feels as though my muzzle is dipping down after every shot. 

I have narrowed it down to the Surefire MB556 and the Lantac Dragon due to both of these being able to put the blast shields on them as well.

I have shot bought and feel as though they are pretty even but figured I would get some opinions from the group.

Thanks,

Adam

I've got a Lantac Dragon on my issued M4.  Sure it's a little loud, but it runs like a 3gun rifle now and it takes my suppressor if I want/need it to.  If the S##t goes down, you aren't gonna hear it anyway........

15 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I've got a Lantac Dragon on my issued M4.  Sure it's a little loud, but it runs like a 3gun rifle now and it takes my suppressor if I want/need it to.  If the S##t goes down, you aren't gonna hear it anyway........

A lot of people report that they don't hear the gunshots in a stressful situation, but some do. If you shoot a Dragon without ear pro and rely on auditory exclusion to hopefully not hear it during the shooting, does not change the fact that your will do irreparable damage to your hearing

3 hours ago, nheiny13 said:

A lot of people report that they don't hear the gunshots in a stressful situation, but some do. If you shoot a Dragon without ear pro and rely on auditory exclusion to hopefully not hear it during the shooting, does not change the fact that your will do irreparable damage to your hearing

I get that 100%.  I'm not on a battlefield where I will be shooting 1000s of rounds.  Heck, I've made it 27 years without having to shoot without ear pro yet.  But, if I do have to use my rifle, I want it to perform at it's highest level.  If that means I give up a little hearing......I'm ok with that.

No matter what break you use your probably going to lose some hearing, especially if your standing next to the rifle which is getting in the work. My department just outfitted all rifles with cans because it was cheaper than the L&I payouts.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:35 AM, apetrulis01 said:

Thanks,

Adam

This combo from Fortis looks pretty interesting.

https://www.rainierarms.com/fortis-control-shield-and-muzzle-brake-5-56-bundle-pack/

Edited by CharlieD

10 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Why not a suppressor on a short barrel rifle. If I ever need to deploy a long gun I’m grabbing one with a can 

It is against agency policy to have a suppressor on our rifles The agency doesn't want the public freaking out with a bunch of Deputies running around with suppressors on the end of their rifles. Our rifles also have to be bought they are not issued. 

On 8/24/2019 at 3:37 AM, ClangClang said:

Actual LE duty? The conventional wisdom generally steers people towards flash hiders due to the excessive concussion from those brakes, especially the Lantac. It's brutal to RO for someone with a Dragon even when I've got double ear pro. Imagine lighting that thing off inside a structure/vehicle without ear pro. Say goodbye to your hearing forever.

Are you wearing ear pro 100% of the time when you deploy your rifle? If not, you should probably consider the Surefire SF3P flash hider which can also mount the Warden Blast Shield.

I have ear pro around the stock of my rifle so when it comes out the ear pro goes on. Plus it is electronic so it amplifies as well.

IMG_20190825_200002.jpg

11 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

It is against agency policy to have a suppressor on our rifles The agency doesn't want the public freaking out with a bunch of Deputies running around with suppressors on the end of their rifles. Our rifles also have to be bought they are not issued. 

Man nothing like fighting an uphill fight.  I’m sorry to hear that. 

On 8/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, RangerTrace said:

I get that 100%.  I'm not on a battlefield where I will be shooting 1000s of rounds.  Heck, I've made it 27 years without having to shoot without ear pro yet.  But, if I do have to use my rifle, I want it to perform at it's highest level.  If that means I give up a little hearing......I'm ok with that.

Tinnitis is the bugger-bear, not hearing loss.  My stepdad's was keeping him from sleeping (brown water navy, Vietnam- pintle-mount .50 caliber & various .308, etc..).  Mine is a low grade sinnngggg, that I hope does not worsen with age.

That MZLMAX, with a BFD looks attractive.

https://www.primaryarms.com/indian-creek-design-.5in-blast-forward-muzzle-device-w-thread-protector

Edited by Rob72

The precision armament EFAB is pretty incredible muzzle device from a balanced performance perspective. Please do not consider that Lantac, what you have there is moderate recoil reduction with extreme concussion. There are more effective brakes available if your willing to take the blast or similar recoil reduction available with significantly less concussion. Please consider taking muzzle brake advice from people who have tried more than the couple they decided to buy. You can find quantitative testing on these things and you can find crazy competitive shooters that have tried more than a dozen themselves.

I'm I'm pretty sure ol R.T. mentioned the Lantac is compatible with his suppressor so I'm thinking he will stay with it. 😉

As it stands....having tried a bunch, is for a duty type brake the MZLMAX is far superior to the other duty type brakes......but it doesn't mount a can!

Edited by kurtm

22 hours ago, kurtm said:

I'm I'm pretty sure ol R.T. mentioned the Lantac is compatible with his suppressor so I'm thinking he will stay with it. 😉

As it stands....having tried a bunch, is for a duty type brake the MZLMAX is far superior to the other duty type brakes......but it doesn't mount a can!

Kurt you like that one? I have one in the bin-o-comps and dismissed it after one session, may have to go back and try again. Mine is a 30 cal so I think I tried it on a 300bk.

Yes I do, as a duty comp! Does it bounce around more than a SJC.....yes a bit, but dampening wise I'd say around 85-90% of a true 3-gun comp, like SJC, Rolling Thunder, J.P.  etc. BUT we ask a whole bunch more out of a duty comp! Side blast? Try shooting your "fill in the blank" duty comp that vents to the side a la Lantac, BMC, right next to someone else and they will get a real good winding, sometimes watery eyes and blast gasses that can burn.....all bad things to do to your backup! Try shooting any side vented comps under an old car or in a dusty environment and you will create your own sandstorm which at the least cuts you vision, at worst gets crap in you eyes! Also not good in a dynamic environment.

Try this little experiment with a side vented comp get the side ports on one side real close to a hard object...like say an inch or less away and try to group your rifle on a target, you will find out pretty quickly that you get a nice horizontal dispersion from your zero. I have seen this be enough to miss a target at 100 yards. Also not so good. BUT the MZLMAX passed all these test with flying colors! Very low dust signature...less than an A2 flash suppressor. Fired under a very dirty truck....no sand storm. No visible dispersion from one side being blocked. Almost no side blast....and the guys next to you really enjoy that. I can't speak to the 30 Cal ones, I've only tested one on 5.56x45mm rifles/carbines, and one now is on my teaching carbine. The other thing I noticed is it is a very neutral comp when fired from right or left shoulder, and or horizontal at least for my physiology.....but several other shooter experienced the same thing.

4 minutes ago, kurtm said:

Yes I do, as a duty comp! Does it bounce around more than a SJC.....yes a bit, but dampening wise I'd say around 85-90% of a true 3-gun comp, like SJC, Rolling Thunder, J.P.  etc. BUT we ask a whole bunch more out of a duty comp! Side blast? Try shooting your "fill in the blank" duty comp that vents to the side a la Lantac, BMC, right next to someone else and they will get a real good winding, sometimes watery eyes and blast gasses that can burn.....all bad things to do to your backup! Try shooting any side vented comps under an old car or in a dusty environment and you will create your own sandstorm which at the least cuts you vision, at worst gets crap in you eyes! Also not good in a dynamic environment.

Try this little experiment with a side vented comp get the side ports on one side real close to a hard object...like say an inch or less away and try to group your rifle on a target, you will find out pretty quickly that you get a nice horizontal dispersion from your zero. I have seen this be enough to miss a target at 100 yards. Also not so good. BUT the MZLMAX passed all these test with flying colors! Very low dust signature...less than an A2 flash suppressor. Fired under a very dirty truck....no sand storm. No visible dispersion from one side being blocked. Almost no side blast....and the guys next to you really enjoy that. I can't speak to the 30 Cal ones, I've only tested one on 5.56x45mm rifles/carbines, and one now is on my teaching carbine. The other thing I noticed is it is a very neutral comp when fired from right or left shoulder, and or horizontal at least for my physiology.....but several other shooter experienced the same thing.

hmmmm may have to look at this one. I stated I was looking at the lantac or surefire because you could throw a blast shield on it. But it the muzzle brake vents gas and sound forward while compensating it my be a win. So you are saying it does about 80-90 of what a lantac or surefire can do?

• 1 year later...

On 9/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, kurtm said:

kurtm, have you tried the Precision Armament AFAB and/or EFAB? If so, what are your impressions, and how do they compare to the MZLMAX? 

Sorry for the necropost!

I have an EFAB on my RDB and while it does not work as well as the competition brakes, it does a better all round job of acting like a brake, reducing the concussion wave and flash hiding than any of the competition brakes. I really hate RO'ing those guns with the competition brakes. Hurts my ears even with ear pro. With the EFAB concussion is almost nothing, flash when shooting as it gets dark is very well controlled and it still works as a brake without pushing the barrel down. Good choice for a home defense brake or any rifle that will be fired in a confined space.