Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Titan finicky with factory ammo?

Wrecks

Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up a Titan in 40 soon but wanted to check in on something. Will the Titan be reliable and run well with good quality factory ammo? To put it in context, I don't have the ability to load my own ammo due to a few factors, so I'd have to use factory ammo like Syntech action pistol for matches and fiocchi for training. 

This would be my first 2011 purchase and I've heard some horror stories about the platform being picky on ammo in general so just wanted to clear the air. Please don't turn this into a discussion about whether I should reload or not - my local range doesn't allow handloads, I don't have the space in my work bench to put it and my wife would hate to see one of these progressive press monstrosities next to the laundry.

Some 2011s have a problem loading short ammo, like factory.  If yours does, you will have to buy ammo that is loaded long.  That's expensive.  Both of my 2011 40sws will run anything between 1.126" and 1.180".  You should have this conversation with Adam before you order the gun.  His guns may not have the problem, or he may be able to tweak one so it does not.

Failing that, there are a couple of outfits that will load to a specific OAL if asked, and the order quantity is sufficient.  For example, Roger's Better Bullets will custom load anything you want, but you have to wait for the end of a run.  If you decide you like his 40 minor ammo (165gr) and just want it loaded longer, you'll get it sooner.  Same with his major (180gr) ammo.  I've shot his 40 minor and it is a sweet, accurate load at around 135PF if I recall.

A well built 2011 with tuned magazines should reliably run quality factory ammo with the proper recoil springs. Most factory .40 is pretty comfortably Major Power factor too. So, so long as you tell Adam or anyone else that you might consider having build you a gun, you should be fine!

yep, ask the builder.  atlanta arms does make regular and longer length .40 that lots of uspsa shooters use (i use their regular length reloads with zero issues), so you do have options albeit more $$ than syntech or other factory ammo.

I can't speak for the Titan specifically but my Nemesis eats everything I have given to it. I'd assume they would be the same given the design/parts are near identical. 

Winchester white box, Speer, Blazer Brass, Federal American Eagle,  Fenix Ammo (Training), Fenix Ammo (Shell Shock NAS3 Match), Fenix Ammo (Shell Shock NAS3 2011 Specific Match), Federal Syntech Match. 

Edited by Avedis

My Titan will run any factory ammo I have tried. Purchase without worry. Magazines are the pick things in 2011’s IMHO. MBX mags run most consistently in my Titan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More likely to have issues w/ reloaded 40S&W, than factory ammo assuming properly tuned mags (unless the timing of the gun is wrong, or geometry / fitment is a bit goofy, where you're going to have problems regardless of the ammo source or type)...

The biggest thing w/ "semi-custom" & full custom 1911's / 2011's is that the chambers are typically a bit tighter than a commodity production gun, where any amount of brass bulge at the base of the case can cause issues / completely lock up the gun, as well as bulging at the base of the bullet when reloading cast lead bullets and / or plated lead. Out of a batch of 500 or so reloaded rounds from mixed range brass from various sources, I'll typically get one or two that won't chamber in my Titan even though they passed the case gage; where my Glocks will shoot them without any issue. Every time, there's a tiny, barely perceptible amount of brass bulge at the base of the case; you'll never have this issue with factory ammo.

Edited by SPL15

More likely to have issues w/ reloaded 40S&W, than factory ammo assuming properly tuned mags (unless the timing of the gun is wrong, or geometry / fitment is a bit goofy, where you're going to have problems regardless of the ammo source or type)...

The biggest thing w/ "semi-custom" & full custom 1911's / 2011's is that the chambers are typically a bit tighter than a commodity production gun, where any amount of brass bulge at the base of the case can cause issues / completely lock up the gun, as well as bulging at the base of the bullet when reloading cast lead bullets and / or plated lead. Out of a batch of 500 or so reloaded rounds from mixed range brass from various sources, I'll typically get one or two that won't chamber in my Titan even though they passed the case gage; where my Glocks will shoot them without any issue. Every time, there's a tiny, barely perceptible amount of brass bulge at the base of the case; you'll never have this issue with factory ammo.

My Titan will run my hand loads that didn’t pass the case gauge. I keep those rounds for practice and everyone has fired without a problem. I do inspect them for any defect before they go into the practice bin. Every gun is a little different. I have a Springfield RO that the chamber is so tight it won’t shoot most of my hand loads but will shoot most factory ammo all day long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, jc3257 said:

My Titan will run my hand loads that didn’t pass the case gauge. I keep those rounds for practice and everyone has fired without a problem. I do inspect them for any defect before they go into the practice bin.

same here. i toss the ones with split cases, but everything else runs, whether it passes the gauge or not.