Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Open gun, Gold Team , Help, tuning, and Parts Combos for you.

Apolo

Those that know me, know this has been a long time coming. Hope this is a helpful little nugget I wrote up. This is just some stuff I like and what I use. Having used just about every part and part combo this is what works for me. I have reasons for each part. I get alot of questions and i hope this finds some well. As always YMMV. @PatriotDefense @johnbu

9mm GT Stroked slide

Beveled mag well(transition between mag well helps smooth reloads) 

Tuned 9mm Extractor(typically factory extractor is 38. 9mm needs more tension for reliability)

Polished and Lapped rails.

Hammer face angled and polish(smoothes recoil and slide movement)

Hammer strut hole opened and smoothed( eliminates spring bind and friction. Also a must for única hammer (

Slide faced and comp(if needed) retimed.

Breach Face inner edge chamfer and polish (smooth feeding)

Extractor Channel polish( crud gets built up here. This ensures free movement )

Fireing Pin channel polish.(reliable strikes)

Slide bottom front Chamfer(reduce's drag on 2nd round and reliable feeding)

Slide rear bottom Chamfer(smooths recoil as slide travels over hammer)

FPB removal( not needed in open. Reduces FP drag) 

All before adding parts.

My favorite parts list and combos

V12 barrel

EGD Brass grips(bring weight back into hands)

DAA adjustable thumrest, hand checkered by me

Henning Mag well Gen 1( design keeps magwell from walking forward)

Over sized Safeties, hand checkerd by me( more dexterity)

Henning short Trigger(medium spring)

PD Light Guide Rod

PD Fireing pin(heavy for reliability)

Única DA/SA heavy hammer(used as SA only)

#patriotdefense bolo disconnector( eliminates pre travel) 

EGW sear (gives shortest reset)

6-9lb recoil spring (I prefer 8lb)

PD 13lb hammer spring( works with heavy hammer and pd parts)

PD reduced Power FP spring

Xtra power Extractor spring

9mm Extractor

PD reduced Sear spring

Precision made sear cage pin made by me( eliminates sear cage + sear wobble, and a crisper disengagement on trigger press)

Factory polished sear cage( less friction on moving sear)

Xtreme G2 racker or Angled G1 racker. Xtreme trigger plunger

Factory trigger bar (almost need to own several to pick best one)

Over sized mag release(factory)

IPSC Alex RTS2 mount

8 MOA RTS2 or 8 MOA slide ride

Única Hammer short strut.

#dgbullets 115g bullets

HS6 or AA7 powder

Current Slide/Frame combo Older Limited frame with better checkering and up swept beaver tail

GT slide V12 9mm stroked.

Also Tanfoglio 40s&w slides will and can to be tuned to run 9mm reliably with a 9mm barrel obviously. The Spare GT barrel that comes with the gun, can also be used with limited slide in conjuction with cone comp.  

This is basically what you have to do to the GTs and this is thee best parts and parts combos I've used and found. Enjoy.

Edited by Apolo
Additional info

Hammers. Preference in order

1. Delta SAO (xtreme?) - shortest hooks for SAO. Light so requires heavier spring or softer primers. Makes up for it with excellent break.

2. Unica DA/SA - heavy and best index for reliability but takes some fitment.

3.Titan - heavy, drops in, and easily combo with bolo. But longer hooks in SAO. Due to hook length, I can feel sear drag on hook before break or disengagement. Hooks Almost bump this hammer down the list behind EGW.

4. EGW - light, through hard, short hooks like Delta SAO. Excellent trigger pull achievable. Tunning needed. Does not work with a disco. Requires heavy hammer spring for reliability.

5. Factory SAO heart hammer - longer hooks. More friction due to full width hooks. More contact on sear. Medium weight. Doesn't not allow disco. Longer reset. Good trigger achievable but will leave something to be desired.

Edited by Apolo

Comps. Not in order of preference. Just explained.

V12 - pros. Flat and short. Points fast. Light.

Cons. More powder, loud, hand hit.

Durso - pros. Soft, less powder, less hand hit.

Cons. Some may not like length. Heavier. Recoil wobbles (ymmv)

V4 (V12 minus 8 popple holes)

Pros. fairly flat. Light. Less powder. less hand hit. Tracked well with no wobbles. Works well in conjuction with limited slide

Cons. ?

V10 with straight 5/32 holes

Pros. Flattest, short, point fast. Less hand hit than v12 

Cons. Powder comparable to v12. Custom and not factory.

3 port- to be continued...one is on order. 

V12 loads I've used

Current.  8.8 HS6. DG Bullets 115g CCI magnum primers OAL 1.14

11.3 AA7. DG Bullets 115g Winchester Primers. 1.16

CFE. Very hard to V12 115g major. Blows primers out. Not recommended 

6 hours ago, Apolo said:

Tuned 9mm Extractor(typically factory extractor is 38. 9mm needs more tension for reliability)

Hammer strut hole opened and smoothed( eliminates spring bind and friction. Also a must for única hammer (

Awesome write-up! Can you elaborate how to tune extractor? How are you opening up the hammer strut hole and by how much?

On 7/20/2019 at 9:45 AM, Polymer said:

Awesome write-up! Can you elaborate how to tune extractor? How are you opening up the hammer strut hole and by how much?

So there is a limiting pad on the extractor. For 9 major I have found the pad to be too long, and factory spring too weak. This pad, NOT the hook, can be filed down to allow the extractor to hold the case tighter. I adjust this pad and add a Extra power Extractor spring to ensure proper extraction. Also some times adding a small angle to ejector helps.

The Hammer hole can be touchy.. this is essentially only if you're having binding issues with the Única hammer. The unica hammer indexes back further and can cause serious binding issue. As you may know, not every tanfo frame is exactly the same. My frame and the ones I've seen have a ledge inside the holes. This ledge was limiting the strut for and aft movement not allowing the hammer to fully swing and index. I removed this ledge, ONLY the ledge on the rear side twords beaver tail. I'm brave and used a dremel. Then polish hole. Test by removing and adding hammer as you go to test. I have not found it to happen with, Titan, Delta, EGW, and or extreme hammers. Only the Unica.

14 hours ago, Dan4147 said:

Thank You!

Absolutely. Just here to help. And hopefully fast track some people to success with the Tanfoglio open guns. Did the experimentingredients for you. 

On 7/20/2019 at 4:14 AM, Apolo said:

Comps. Not in order of preference. Just explained.

V12 - pros. Flat and short. Points fast. Light.

Cons. More powder, loud, hand hit.

Durso - pros. Soft, less powder, less hand hit.

Cons. Some may not like length. Heavier. Recoil wobbles (ymmv)

V4 (V12 minus 8 popple holes)

Pros. fairly flat. Light. Less powder. less hand hit. Tracked well with no wobbles. Works well in conjuction with limited slide

Cons. ?

V10 with straight 5/32 holes

Pros. Flattest, short, point fast. Less hand hit than v12 

Cons. Powder comparable to v12. Custom and not factory.

3 port- to be continued...one is on order. 

which three port comp do you have on order - the v8 version?

On 7/20/2019 at 9:58 AM, Apolo said:

Hammers. Preference in order

1. Delta SAO (xtreme?) - shortest hooks for SAO. Light so requires heavier spring or softer primers. Makes up for it with excellent break.

2. Unica DA/SA - heavy and best index for reliability but takes some fitment.

3.Titan - heavy, drops in, and easily combo with bolo. But longer hooks in SAO. Due to hook length, I can feel sear drag on hook before break or disengagement. Hooks Almost bump this hammer down the list behind EGW.

4. EGW - light, through hard, short hooks like Delta SAO. Excellent trigger pull achievable. Tunning needed. Does not work with a disco. Requires heavy hammer spring for reliability.

5. Factory SAO heart hammer - longer hooks. More friction due to full width hooks. More contact on sear. Medium weight. Doesn't not allow disco. Longer reset. Good trigger achievable but will leave something to be desired.

Hi,

I am currently searching for a new hammer for my Limited in 45 (SA only gun).

Did you also try new unica SA only hammer?

Otherwise I will probably go with Delta SAO.

I did some polishing and put xtreme medium hammer and firing pin spring and trigger is light enough for me, but as you said you can feel a creep and a reset is long.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Ales

On 7/26/2019 at 7:04 AM, aales1 said:

Hi,

I am currently searching for a new hammer for my Limited in 45 (SA only gun).

Did you also try new unica SA only hammer?

Otherwise I will probably go with Delta SAO.

I have a limited 40sw and tried the Unica hammer but ended with the EGW prepped hammer and sear from Henning. It was slightly smoother feeling and uses standard PD hammer springs. The EGW hammer does require some fitting, so if you aren’t up to it have someone who knows TFs do the work for you.

I also set it up with the straight trigger from Henning. Over all this trigger hammer combo is really nice. 

• 2 months later...

having proplem …..got new 9mm tango match seller sold it new it was shot and trigger bar grainded where pin goes for trigger.try to make room for spring I ques .newer have to do that so.i order parts …….extreme trigger bar /trigger/sear cauge/and trigger blunger all extreme.then sear egw/hammer egw.found no leg on sear for fireing pin safety.so order one from patriot also with leg.so far all good .put it to together with floating trigger pin all light springs beutifull ..now set it works fine when try with dummy wont go battery please help.thanks rally Koski florida

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 9:25 PM, Apolo said:

I guess I'm just not able to see enough dicernable difference to want the lighter version. I'm sorry.

I got the Unica double action hammer to try...it is slower and had to use a patriot defense sear spring to lower the trigger pull weight. still using Wolff 16lb hammer spring 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 3:03 AM, Apolo said:

Also Tanfoglio 40s&w slides will and can to be tuned to run 9mm reliably with a 9mm barrel obviously. The Spare GT barrel that comes with the gun, can also be used with limited slide in conjuction with cone comp.  

I'd be really curious to learn a little more about this. I run a Limited Custom in 40 for limited division, but one day had hoped to run 9mm for open. I would love to hear how to make that conversion work. Does it just take a 9 barrel and mags, or do I need new springs as well?