Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decap only die for 223?

I sometimes feel the need to clean my .223 brass if it gets too crappy. I remove the primers before I send them through SS tumbling or Brass Jioce.

I'm looking for a decap only die to run in my XL650. The Sinclair one has a sharp edge on the pin retainer that catches the mouth of the case unless it is perfectly centered. It makes for a long session to have to manually "feel" the fit almost every time. Everything is lined up fine and there's no vibration - there's just some variation and the sinclair retainer isn't ideal.

Anyone have a die that works?

Edited by rodell

Everyone does this differently but I like using vibratory for a quick clean, then lube, size/decap, and trim then clean deep clean.

I had picked up an rcbs universal decap years ago but never got around to trying it.

The lee universal decap has a square shoulder that gets stuck on the case mouth as well. So what I do is, stick it in your drill and bevel the shoulder so it’s a smooth transition from the actual decap pin to shaft.
Works good and the die and pins are cheap to replace.

c9031af93b5d7b07ff9b6c86ab18389d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, AHI said:

not as  cheep as LEE but   I recently went through this on a 1050

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/made-in-the-usa/products/mighty-armory-the-blue-ap-auto-decapping-die

only one that has worked  for me . Tried LEE RCBS HORNADY all failed 

I like that a lot. I may also, for the short term, try to bevel the Sinclair. It is stainless, though, so that might not be as easy as I think.

I use the Lee Decapping die but changed out the decapping pin. I use a squirrel daddy hardened steel decapping pin that has rounded shoulders that don't catch the neck of the casing. Haven't broke any pins yet out of several thousand rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been using a Dillon Universal Decapping die and while it does work well and never gets hung up on the case mouth I will occasionally get primer pull back. I recently purchased a mighty armory decapping die to try out but have not gotten the chance to use it.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:11 AM, RGA said:

FWIW,

When I use a Mighty Armory decapper on a 650 to decap .223 the cases also hit the shoulder of the decapping pin.

They offer a .20 cal pin. I assume the shaft is thinner to clear the shoulder. It's one piece and more expensive, though. https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/made-in-the-usa/products/decapping-pin-for-22-250-and-243-special-order-only

On 7/15/2019 at 1:00 PM, cjmill87 said:

Hard to go wrong with the Lee Universal Decap Die

with squirrel daddy pins. But the lee ones also have a life time warrenty. So technically you could get a couple to have in preparation for breakages and send the broken ones in when you find the time.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:11 AM, RGA said:

FWIW,

When I use a Mighty Armory decapper on a 650 to decap .223 the cases also hit the shoulder of the decapping pin.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:26 AM, rlapid216 said:

They offer a .20 cal pin. I assume the shaft is thinner to clear the shoulder. It's one piece and more expensive, though. https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/made-in-the-usa/products/decapping-pin-for-22-250-and-243-special-order-only

I have an automated 1050 and use to run the mighty armory die. It unfortunately kept breaking on me. I have since moved onto the following decapper, and can say that after about 8k 223 and 1k x39 that i was converting to grendel. Didn't break and never looked like it was going to either.

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/f-w-arms-auto-center-decapper/

Edited by Laxman2809

16 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

I have an automated 1050 and use to run the mighty armory die. It unfortunately kept breaking on me. I have since moved onto the following decapper, and can say that after about 8k 223 and 1k x39 that i was converting to grendel. Didn't break and never looked like it was going to either.

Thanks for the link.  I am using the MA die and it occasionally nicks a case mouth.  Same goes for the swage hold down die.  I might give these a whirl. 

How's primer pull back with the FW decapper?  Any sort of spring or assist that kicks the spent primer out? 

On 8/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, Laxman2809 said:

I have an automated  050 and use to run the mighty armory die. It unfortunately kept breaking on me. I have since moved onto the following decapper, and can say that after about 8k 223 and 1k x39 that i was converting to grendel. Didn't break and never looked like it was going to either.

Nice! I saw those awhile back on some FB page, but I don't remember seeing info on it. I like the design. Might have to try it out.

19 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Thanks for the link.  I am using the MA die and it occasionally nicks a case mouth.  Same goes for the swage hold down die.  I might give these a whirl. 

How's primer pull back with the FW decapper?  Any sort of spring or assist that kicks the spent primer out? 

I haven't had any primer pull back. There is a spring somewhere in the decapping die as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, CPD7119 said:

I use the Lee Decapping die but changed out the decapping pin. I use a squirrel daddy hardened steel decapping pin that has rounded shoulders that don't catch the neck of the casing. Haven't broke any pins yet out of several thousand rounds.

I run this setup in my spare 550 and decap everything I reload with it...5.56 to 44mag with no issues. Broke a few Lee pins on swaged in 5.56 primers and went to the Squirrel Daddy pins and haven't looked back.