Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnet saved the day!

I don't remember when I heard about this trick, but I'm glad I tried it.

If you are using range brass to reload, I highly recommend putting a magnet on your case feeder.  Even though I drag a magnet over my 9mm brass after I wet tumble it and bake it, a steel case with berdan primer holes got through my sorting and ended up in my case feeder.  However, since I attached a magnet to the metal clamp at the top of the case feeder tube, the steel case stuck to the side of the tube and didn't end up crunching my decapping pin.  When the steel case gets stuck to the side of the tube by the magnet, then next case that falls on it activates the shut-off switch on the case feeder, and no more cases come down.  I found that an old computer hard drive magnet works perfectly.  They are small and strong.

Here are some pictures of the magnet placement and the steel case close-up.

Let me know if you have any other clever tips for the Dillon 1050.

Thank you,

Chris

58408470842__3B9A90C9-9785-4098-AF44-140AB44FE8FE.JPG

IMG_6934.jpg

IMG_6935.jpg

On 7/7/2019 at 2:41 AM, 78Staff said:

I've got one of these on my tube - never run across a steel case but seems like cheap insurance :).

https://ammobot.us/ammobot-steel-case-guard/

2019-06-18_19.37.24__46809.1561734197.jp

This thing is the best money you can spend.  Had one right when they came out, works great!  I too run a magnet over the brass during sorting, but inevitably one or two will sneak past.  This is the last place to catch them.  :cheers:

• 3 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 2:41 AM, 78Staff said:

I've got one of these on my tube - never run across a steel case but seems like cheap insurance :).

https://ammobot.us/ammobot-steel-case-guard/

2019-06-18_19.37.24__46809.1561734197.jp

Well I finally caught a steel case... in 9mm.  It took me a minute to figure out what the deal was, I was thinking what the heck's wrong with my case feeder lol.  Cheap (very cheap) insurance.  

• 3 weeks later...

I usually drag a magnet through cleaned cases and toss them then, but can see this being cheap insurance. Thanks for posting the tube  magnet, I had no idea that such a thing even existed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 10:00 PM, Shep said:

I usually drag a magnet through cleaned cases and toss them then, but can see this being cheap insurance. Thanks for posting the tube  magnet, I had no idea that such a thing even existed.

I do this as well, but somehow some way. 1 steel case usually brass plated makes its way through my previous searchings.