Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s your “index” off the draw when your hands are on marks?

Training for a major and there’s a lot of “hands on marks” stages. These are at eye level and hands on barrels.

As of now I give myself a little pinch on my side so I know where my thumb needs to be to get a proper grip off the draw. 

I just did some more experimenting and still did this along with making sure my elbow hits my side to properly grip the gun. 

Whats your PROVEN technique to Insure you don’t miss your grip?

Edited by nikdanja

10 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Uh, shitloads of dry fire practice?

Lol riiight 

So, anyone have a legit PROVEN process? 

Edited by nikdanja

by making it less of a requirement to be millimeter precise. All I have to do is hit anywhere on the upper half of the back strap with the web of my hand and once that contact is made I just slide it up to the top of the grip into the beaver tail as I'm closing my hand and confirming my grip. That way my hands can come from anywhere and as along as I find the back of the gun I am good to go.

I expect to be not perfect, but just close enough to make it what i want. Rather than trying to be perfect every time and then having issues since it isn't.

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

by making it less of a requirement to be millimeter precise. All I have to do is hit anywhere on the upper half of the back strap with the web of my hand and once that contact is made I just slide it up to the top of the grip into the beaver tail as I'm closing my hand and confirming my grip. That way my hands can come from anywhere and as along as I find the back of the gun I am good to go.

I expect to be not perfect, but just close enough to make it what i want. Rather than trying to be perfect every time and then having issues since it isn't.

Exactly. 

No baseball batter routine required

• Just grab the gun?
  • Slam hand into area anywhere under dove tail?
  • Dry fire?
  • The same as surrender? 

I'm no expert but thats kind of overthinking it. Timer>Gun>Position. Just grab it. 

Also another no expert comment, if you sucking your elbow into your side then drawing your wasting time. Hand goes from X to Gun, the straightest line is the best way. 

20 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:
  • Just grab the gun?
  • Dry fire?
  • The same as surrender? 

I'm no expert but thats kind of overthinking it. Timer>Gun>Position. Just grab it. 

Also another no expert comment, if you sucking your elbow into your side then drawing your wasting time. Hand goes from X to Gun, the straightest line is the best way. 

According to the OP, that's not a legit proven process.  He told me so himself.

Gimmicks > hard work

Dryfire with your hands starting on the wall IS your proven process. You are trying to make it natural to go from that position to hands on gun with a good grip.  So make it natural, through lots of reps. It's no different than how you had to learn to surrender draw- by practicing it.  Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but the way you dismissed dryfire as a solution makes me think you assume there is secret knowledge or tricks out there.  Getting better is really about streamlining everything over time through practice and lots of reflection.  

I will add though that on hand-on-marks starts, there is generally a way to stand and position your arms that is going to be better than having your feet 4' away from the wall and starting out looking like you are trying to push a heavy wall over. This is different for every stage. Read the stage description carefully.  Does it say palms flat on marks, or just "touching"?  A low X can have your strong hand touching the X on the back of the hand, but hovering 1/2" over your backstrap too.  This stuff just falls under stage planning though.  

On 7/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, Dutchman195 said:
  • Just grab the gun?
  • Dry fire?
  • The same as surrender? 

My Revolver doesn't have a dove tail?  🤣

Seriously it just takes practice, but focus on the web of the hand not where the thumb should be.

If it's an awkward position, slow down that .65 draw.

Oh, and you will still miss place the  hand at some point, then just slow down and focus on the FS if you can't immediately shift the grip.

I may be weird but as I have improved I have found that if I miss getting the perfect spot when I grab the gun I can make adjustments to my grip as it is being presented to the first target.  

Also the likelihood that cutting .01 of your draw on a field course is going to change how you place at a match is very very low. 

Edited by MikeBurgess
more to say

On 6/30/2019 at 10:26 PM, nikdanja said:

Lol riiight 

So, anyone have a legit PROVEN process? 

So what do you know.......all the rest of the advice you've been given was the same I told you.

LOL

Stage designers throw starts like this in just to attempt to trip you up. Gun is still in the holster. Just get hand on the gun like you've done thousands of times before. I think a little dryfire with hands on a wall in advance would be beneficial. Any more than that and it's just making a mountain out of a molehill. Overthinking an out of the ordinary start position is simply putting you at a disadvantage. 

15 hours ago, elguapo said:

So what do you know.......all the rest of the advice you've been given was the same I told you.

LOL

Ok..? Did you want a cookie or something?

15 hours ago, elguapo said:

LOL

You must be such a good shooter. 

I wish you were in my squad.. for life! 

Edited by nikdanja

On 6/30/2019 at 9:08 PM, nikdanja said:

Training for a major and there’s a lot of “hands on marks” stages. These are at eye level and hands on barrels.

As of now I give myself a little pinch on my side so I know where my thumb needs to be to get a proper grip off the draw. 

I just did some more experimenting and still did this along with making sure my elbow hits my side to properly grip the gun. 

Whats your PROVEN technique to Insure you don’t miss your grip?

Stop using index points for hands at sides, then when they aren't there for a funny start it will matter less.

3 minutes ago, mikeg1005 said:

Its funny when a GM comes up with something so outrageous that its clearly a troll... and then you realize its Enos and this could actually be a real question.  

False. Pinching is key. This is why you come 6th at nationals.