Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HP or FP bullets?

DIYguy

Did a search but didn't find anything relevant.

I've been loading and shooting 147g FP bullets since beginning of last year for USPSA. The 147g are subsonic and have a nice recoil and the Flat Points make nicer holes. Came time to reorder bullets and decided to try 147g Hollow Points. Nice grouping, no issues yet.

My question is, what are the advantages of HP bullets over others? Noticed it seems like quite a few of the other shooters are using HPs but haven't tested to see if cleaner holes or other advantages. Haven't run HPs in a match yet, still using what I've previously loaded with the Flat Points but now need to restock. Any opinions?

No advantage at all in CO, or anything other than Open really.  While there are accuracy differences in bullets, I've never tested one that wasn't accurate enough for USPSA.

4 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I have yet to figure out why anyone cares about how their holes look in this game? if its close and you question the call there is a overlay that is used to determine the hit or not.

I love scoring .45 shooters that use SWCs... I can see holes at the back of the bay🤣

On 5/31/2019 at 6:27 PM, MikeBurgess said:

I have yet to figure out why anyone cares about how their holes look in this game? if its close and you question the call there is a overlay that is used to determine the hit or not.

I would if I'm ROing. Nice cuts are easier to score, especially if really close to the perf. Hate pulling out the overlay for every close hits. 

The main reason, IMO, to shoot JHP's rather than FMJ (flat-point or otherwise) is to avoid exposed lead at the base.  Lead exposure is a thing, and atomized lead from the base of bullets being inhaled is one of the things that can get it into your bloodstream.  The hot gasses don't ever hit the exposed lead at the nose/cavity of a JHP, so it stands to reason they atomize much less lead.  

If you shoot infrequently and only outdoors, or plan to die young and leave a beautiful corpse, this may not matter to you.  I do a lot of indoor shooting, and I'm already too late for the beautiful corpse plan, so I care.  

The main reason I originally looked at the HPs rather than the FPs was I noticed a slight difference in the contour of the bullet. The FPs have a straight taper to the side of the bullet and the HPs have a slight round to the sides similar to a Round Point. When I switched from the M&P Pro Core Carry Optic to the CZ Shadow2 I discovered the CZs are much more picky about bullet ogive and seating depth. My original loads would NOT go into battery as over all length was too long. Had to reduce my length by nearly .015 to pass plunk test. The ogive length on the HP is different than the FP so I have more tolerance for clearance at the same loading depth with the HP compared to the FP. Don't need a round hanging up and not going into battery while running against the clock. Any of my loads that don't pass the gage AND plunk test go into the range load box for practice.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:27 PM, MikeBurgess said:

With three squads and (65) to (72) shooters each week at our club match we have to move shooters quickly and that means scoring quickly. Scoring can be done 20' away most times, when in doubt have to walk up and check. Slows scoring down. Clean holes help and yes, I score also.

Just now, DIYguy said:

With three squads and (65) to (72) shooters each week at our club match we have to move shooters quickly and that means scoring quickly. Scoring can be done 20' away most times, when in doubt have to walk up and check. Slows scoring down. Clean holes help and yes, I score also.

So do you want to mandate a bullet profile for competition? if not I'll pick one that runs and ask for a overlay if the RO makes the wrong call. 

PS I am also a ro and I can score most targes from a long way off and any target that would be in question for a round nose bullet would also be in question for a wad cutter, you get pretty good ad knowing how close a hole actually is after a while

• 3 weeks later...

JHPs were always slightly more accurate for me (<2" groups at 25 yards benchrested).  If I had to guess, I would say that it's because the hollow point results in a longer bullet in order to maintain the same weight, thereby providing more bearing surface for the rifling.  HPs also look REALLY cool, so you get to look like a baller when you're loading your mags.

True to the longer bullet (loaded anyway). Because of the shape of the flat point bullet and location of the ogive I can only load the FP to 1.050 OAL for my CZ. With the HP bullets the OAL is 1.065 so I get an extra .015 in length.

Loading short or long depends largely on the ogive and bullet profile. I reload and shoot RMR truncated cone flat point and precision delta JHP. For the TCFP, I can only load it to 1.102-1.04” OAL for my shadow 2 and TSO while I can load PDs JHP to 1.125-1.130” OAL for the same guns. This is possible for the JHP because it has a round nose profile for a HP. The profile is skinnier and more pointed compared to the fat and blunt flat point from RMR. 

Both are are accurate on my guns and MPX with Sport Pistol.

• 3 months later...

main benefit of HP jacketed bullets over FMJ is in compensated guns. JHP's dont lead up the comp. For this division I don't think there's a performance difference that justifies the cost difference.