Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix Trinity Honcho vs Limcat/Atlas open guns

avastcosmicarena

1 minute ago, Sdlrodeo said:

Really any and all. I don’t think it would be noticeable for the most part. Just sort of curious about it. If one barrel/slide set up gets A LOT more use would it have an effect on the other components?

Since the Honcho does not have a link or forward lugs there really isn’t any wear spots from the barrel. The slide to frame would get use regardless of caliber so that would be the only part. The good news is that we manufacture all of the parts and are able to keep close tolerances and parallel rails so that the frame and slide fit off of the machine.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, MVPFc said:

Since the Honcho does not have a link or forward lugs there really isn’t any wear spots from the barrel. The slide to frame would get use regardless of caliber so that would be the only part. The good news is that we manufacture all of the parts and are able to keep close tolerances and parallel rails so that the frame and slide fit off of the machine.

Thats good to know. Also good to know the company participated in these forums to provide info straight from the horses mouth! Thanks for that!

• 4 months later...

I want to start by saying I don't write much here (most time reloading or range) but, I have Multiple CK's, STI's, Atlas Nemesis 9mm and 40, and the Honcho 3 gun version (Wilson's and Nighthawk's). In 40 limited the Honcho is my main gun. The Evo Grip, perfect trigger, and the softest/smoothest recoil firing cycle of all by far. Put 40K through the CK and was 100% reliable with only 2 malfunctions and attributed to pushing mag springs past their life span, my bad both times. After complete breakdown/cleaning inspection no wear whatsoever. So I was concerned jumping in on some of the first Honcho's.

Now only 18K 40 Major on the Honcho, I have changed over to 9 limited few times but, the wear is minimal and I have Zero concern about the longevity of this firearm. The fit/finish construction is as good as anything out there. 9mm minor is impossible to describe how soft this gun is, makes my Shadow 2 with Primary Machine slide seem jumpy, just that soft, hard to describe until you shoot it. Compared to the Atlas it is just smoother, and softer, and everyone that shoots the 2 side by side will tell you the same. 

I will be adding a fix mount and running this in open shortly so, I can't say how that is yet but will update. I too wish there were more options available for the mounting plate but things keep rolling out and the staff at PT is incredible. Tiffany responds to my emails within hours, if not minutes, and I can't say enough about their CS. 

BTW, I'm just a shooter and Not Sponsored in anyway nor was I asked to give this information. Just felt the gun is that good and deserves the stellar review, another purchase will be on the horizon. 

Edited by dhighlan
grammar

On 11/8/2019 at 6:40 PM, Robertwil18 said:

Any updates on the rear optic plate as far as options for RDS go?  I would love to be able to run an SRO in the slide ride configuration if possible.  

I would also want this. Seems weird that there's no RMR/SRO/507C option for the slide ride optic plate but there is for the frame mounted option...

Does anyone know the weights of the Honcho with steel grip vs aluminum grip? I'm trying to put together an order by midnight to take advantage of the free barrel for Veteran's Day deal, but having trouble making up my mind on a few options.

Looking into picking one of these up also.  I'm seeing two options for 9mm barrels w/comp. Which one is the larger comp seen in the pics, suitable for open? 

Also if configuring the pistol for both 9mm and .40, are both breach faces required or can you run the 9mm barrel w/.40 breach face?

6 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Looking into picking one of these up also.  I'm seeing two options for 9mm barrels w/comp. Which one is the larger comp seen in the pics, suitable for open? 

Also if configuring the pistol for both 9mm and .40, are both breach faces required or can you run the 9mm barrel w/.40 breach face?

"9mm Single Port Comp" is a single port comp, great for minor power factor. 

"9mm Comp'd" is the full size (Open) compensated barrel. 

51 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

I would also want this. Seems weird that there's no RMR/SRO/507C option for the slide ride optic plate but there is for the frame mounted option...

Does anyone know the weights of the Honcho with steel grip vs aluminum grip? I'm trying to put together an order by midnight to take advantage of the free barrel for Veteran's Day deal, but having trouble making up my mind on a few options.

The Rear Optic Plate can be ordered in any mounting pattern. Just note it in the comments. The aluminum grip will save you about 8oz over the stainless.

Edited by MVPFc

44 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

The 9mm barrel will need the 9/38 Breech Block and the 40 will need the 40 Breech Block. 

13 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

The Rear Optic Plate can be ordered in any mounting pattern. Just note it in the comments. The aluminum grip will save you about 8oz over the stainless.

Oh, cool. I didn't realize that. Thanks. I found an old post on this forum of Chris Keen saying the Honcho in open race configuration weighs 57 oz:

So, 8oz less than that is 49 oz, and I assume the single port comp barrel or sight block barrel drops a few ounces off of the large open comp barrel. So, the 9mm minor configuration probably weighs around 45-48oz, I guess. Does that sound about right to you?

Also, if you happen to see this tonight, if we want to anodize just the trigger and magwell a different color, but leave the grip and everything else black, does that count as the 2 colors ($80 a piece) option or the one color ($100) option? Wasn't sure if the "2 colors" was referring to 2 colors other than black or including the default black.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

2 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Oh, cool. I didn't realize that. Thanks. I found an old post on this forum of Chris Keen saying the Honcho in open race configuration weighs 57 oz:

So, 8oz less than that is 49 oz, and I assume the single port comp barrel or sight block barrel drops a few ounces off of the large open comp barrel. So, the 9mm minor configuration probably weighs around 45-48oz, I guess. Does that sound right to you?)

Also, if you happen to see this tonight, if we want to anodize just the trigger and magwell but leave the grip and everything else black, does that count as the 2 colors ($80 a piece) option or the one color ($100) option? Wasn't sure if the "2 colors" was referring to 2 colors other than black or including the default black.

I'd guess a little lighter than that. But I've left the shop for the evening. So I can't check. 

It is 2 colors including the default black. So if you want any other color besides black, it counts as an extra anodize. If it's just the trigger, we can try to accommodate special requests. 

I want to start by saying I don't write much here (most time reloading or range) but, I have Multiple CK's, STI's, Atlas Nemesis 9mm and 40, and the Honcho 3 gun version (Wilson's and Nighthawk's). In 40 limited the Honcho is my main gun. The Evo Grip, perfect trigger, and the softest/smoothest recoil firing cycle of all by far. Put 40K through the CK and was 100% reliable with only 2 malfunctions and attributed to pushing mag springs past their life span, my bad both times. After complete breakdown/cleaning inspection no wear whatsoever. So I was concerned jumping in on some of the first Honcho's.
Now only 18K 40 Major on the Honcho, I have changed over to 9 limited few times but, the wear is minimal and I have Zero concern about the longevity of this firearm. The fit/finish construction is as good as anything out there. 9mm minor is impossible to describe how soft this gun is, makes my Shadow 2 with Primary Machine slide seem jumpy, just that soft, hard to describe until you shoot it. Compared to the Atlas it is just smoother, and softer, and everyone that shoots the 2 side by side will tell you the same. 
I will be adding a fix mount and running this in open shortly so, I can't say how that is yet but will update. I too wish there were more options available for the mounting plate but things keep rolling out and the staff at PT is incredible. Tiffany responds to my emails within hours, if not minutes, and I can't say enough about their CS. 

BTW, I'm just a shooter and Not Sponsored in anyway nor was I asked to give this information. Just felt the gun is that good and deserves the stellar review, another purchase will be on the horizon. 

If you like the limited option, you’ll love the open set up. [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working up a load started at 7.7g HS6 with old 124 Star FMJ at 1.16, gave me 1260fps. Primers looked good but CCI SPP seemed to have slight flow so going to load with Win SRP next. Only slide ride dot right now until my mount comes in and frame tapped. Going to 8.0 and chrono again this weekend but the gun was fast and flat. Have some EG V2 124 coming in but wanted to start working on load now. Season here has ended so lots of winter time to get set up. Now if I can stop looking at the dot and focus on the target, will take time to make this change. 

28 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Anyone have any thoughts on aluminum vs steel for the grip? Will be using the gun mostly for minor ammo, where aluminum is probably a little more acceptable... but keep second guessing myself and don't want to regret it.

Here’s my perception and my reasoning for choosing aluminum. 
I too will be shooting mostly minor, but also mostly for steel challenge. Therefore, I don’t wan the extra weight to slow me down and I don’t think I’ll need it to help offset what minimal recoil there claims to be with this gun. 

However, I will also occasionally be using it to shoot .40 for USPSA matches. But if it shoots as soft as others have claimed then I’m not to worried about the implications of the reduced weight of the aluminum grip.

Also, if you’re worried about the aluminum breaking, stop worrying now. I’ve been reassured that if it fractures they will make it right. 

Finally thought, if you are only  going to shoot minor, don’t even consider the extra money on the heavier steel. Just get the aluminum and use $200 saved for more ammo or mags....or a nitro fin 😉

7 hours ago, nickbfishn said:

Here’s my perception and my reasoning for choosing aluminum. 
I too will be shooting mostly minor, but also mostly for steel challenge. Therefore, I don’t wan the extra weight to slow me down and I don’t think I’ll need it to help offset what minimal recoil there claims to be with this gun. 

However, I will also occasionally be using it to shoot .40 for USPSA matches. But if it shoots as soft as others have claimed then I’m not to worried about the implications of the reduced weight of the aluminum grip.

Also, if you’re worried about the aluminum breaking, stop worrying now. I’ve been reassured that if it fractures they will make it right. 

Finally thought, if you are only  going to shoot minor, don’t even consider the extra money on the heavier steel. Just get the aluminum and use $200 saved for more ammo or mags....or a nitro fin 😉

I wasn't worried about it breaking, but was just thinking about the recoil/return to zero characteristics of it. I know other companies are using aluminum grips in their minor guns nowadays (like Atlas' Hyperion, Athena, Erebus, etc.), and they seem to have got the balance down with them... but they also might be making more profit on the aluminum grips. Idk.

I'm starting to lean towards just getting the steel grip and adding a 9mm major comp'd barrel though... might as well have the option for the cost.

I'm not interested in .40 cal or limited myself. I'd sooner try 38SC before .40, I think. haha.

and, yeah.... those damn MBX mags are super expensive.

Can somebody tell me how the slide to frame fittings are

A friend off me is shooting a new DVC-O and the frame to slide fitting are top/great can I assume they are the same or are these less with the Honcho

Another question is : what caliber is  Chris Keen shooting the pistol seems really soft in his hands and is 9mm major also so soft shooting with the Honcho

Also is it possible to make pop holes in the barrel or is it not needed

Edited by smoker 01